I have enjoyed reading all of your comments about your houses and the ways you think about cleaning them. One comment struck me in particular, as I think she says so eloquently what I have been thinking about in my heart:
"When I started thinking of my chores around the house as less of a drudgery and more of aWell said, Mercy Project. I think this is a major point of Cheryl Mendlesons' book, the difference between keeping house and cleaning house. After all, I could technically hire someone to clean my toilets. But keeping can only be done by me. I am the keeper of my house, the one responsible for making it a safe little society for my family.way to provide comfort, ease, health of environment, and pleasure to my family, my whole attitude changed toward those chores. I would LIKE to say that scrubbing toilets became an act of love, but it didn't go quite that far. But I resented it less, and appreciated the home more, and appreciated more what our home provided for our family: shelter, a place for us to be together, to enjoy ourselves, to make memories. I think that viewing it as house KEEPING vs house CLEANING has helped transform our shelter into an abode, from a house into our home."
I really like that.
32 comments:
That is a very good way to look at it...I must say your blog the other day on cleaning, helped to get me off of my hiney and get going on my kitchen...so thanks for that :)
Enjoy your weekend :)
I remember this post today as I am dusting, sweeping, and scrubbing. Especially when I make my way to the bathrooms!
I agree with you that anyone can come in and clean our houses but there is a lot to be said for what the keeper of the home does.
Thanks for this post!
Sniff. Now I have guilt!
I will be a happy homekeeper today. That will be my new mantra.
Thanks for the reminder.
Oh no, Anonymous! Don't have guilt! Housekeeping done imperfectly still blesses your family...that's what FlyLady says!
Aw, shucks, thanks! My blog is mercyproject.blogspot.com. Come on over and share in the exploration.
So well put. Such a privilege to be called as keepers of our home. To minister to our family. Cleaning and loving, hand in hand.
Sincerely, Tricia Anne
I really like that too! I'm a much better keeper of the house than a cleaner of the house.
Hi Emily!
Loved your post today! Just beautiful!!! You can see how passionate all your readers are over cleaning, housekeeping, and loving our families! What a fun topic for everyone to share in!!!
Mercy Project, I checked out your blog site too, but wasn't sure how to leave a comment, so I thought I would leave one here. We all get a case of the "green eyed monster" from time to time, and I think that the next time you make brownies or a batch of cookies, you should walk over to your neighobrs and introduce yourself!
It would be fun to hear the story behind their structure and why they placed it where they did, as well as a chance for all your kids to meet! Chances are she is looking for a nice neighborhood mom to get to know and it would be fun for all the kids to play together, and share some brownies too!
Speaking of play structures, we too always wanted one of the big wooden ones, but you know, the novelty wears off and they are so expensive. We have enjoyed our regular swing set, and have to laugh because even our children's friends who have the big wooden ones still enjoy coming over and playing on our little one! Just being together and making summer memories means the most! :-)
Emily, I hope it is OK that I added your blog to our site as a "Blog We're Reading" as I have so enjoyed it, and know our friends would too! You seem like such a kind and compassionate person, and I know if I lived near you I would choose you for a friend, and for our photographer too!
Happy Friday!
SMILES!!!
Denise in Colorado Ü
I really like what she said too! Which saint was it, (I am thinking St. Francis, but I am also thinking that is probably not right. Anyone, Anyone...) said and lived the thought that every mundane act (like washing the dishes) can be an act of worship. It all depends on our attitudes and who we are doing it for!
That definately gives purpose to the never-ending jobs of mom - even cleaning toilets!
just got all caught up on your blog- love the new bathroom, and love the idea of fixing our hearts about 'chores'-
i'm being a horrible commentator, but wanted you to know how much i enjoy your little spot on the 'net!
I LOVE this post, girl! I live in a place where getting help around the house is cheap, but it feels so fulfilling to me to be the "Keeper" of my own home, as you said. Thank you for that inspiration!
Your blog is beautiful. I love it! Thank you so much for stopping by! I think you're the first pastor's wife I have come across on SITS, besides me. At least, no one else had publicly outed themselves. You have a beautiful family.
I would love to add you to my blogroll. I need to be a better keeper of my house and this was just what I needed to hear. Glad to meet you sister! I'll be back.
that is a great point. a good reminder and makes me feel a little more inspired about actually getting up and cleaning! :)
I loved your entry! This is the first time I've stumbled upon your blog, and I'm SO glad I did! I'm a young wife and don't even HAVE kids yet, but still manage to become so overwhelmed with house 'keeping/cleaning'. We have a 3 bedroom, 2 and 1/2 bath home, and somehow, the two of us manage to use each and every square inch of it. WHY we must use and dirty EVERY bathroom we have is beyond me, but cleaning them has become a less-than-enjoyable or regular event. But after reading your encouraging post just now, and the comment another blogger left for you about loving your family through keeping up our homes has inspired me to go home and tackle those bathrooms! ha! :) Thanks!
~ Jessica
a good way to put it and true. I have learned also that when my house is cleaned my kids and husband come home relaxed and happy. When it is messy and disorganized they are fussy, irratable and things are far more chaotic. A clean house is a PLUS in many, many ways.
wow! I needed to hear that! I am going to go "keep" my house now! :)
Yes, this is my second comment for you today. First of all, I didn't do a lot of "housekeeping" today.
I've left a little surprise for you on my blog.
I'm sure you get awards all the time. This was my first one (I've only been at this a week) and because I have so enjoyed reading your blog, I am passing it onto you.
Thanks for the creative posts and all the fabulous decorating ideas!
I hope you see this. For some reason I couldn't e-mail you. I cracked up at your post on my blog. I kept thinking, "Why hasn't anyone said anything about Golden Girls on my TV?!" Turns out it was Entertainment Tonight, but still! Too funny.
Put your house up for sale. That is a sure way to get and keep it clean. Really in the slow market we have had such little traffic, yet I clean and pick up every day, and what a blessing it has been, establishing new habits, and realize that Yes, I am capable to keep a house neat and orderly. But, may I suggest the biggest help is decluttering and eliminating much. We have boxes packed and at the other house waiting for me. BUt for now I can enjoy a nice clutter free house. Simplify is my new motto.
Susan
I HATE cleaning...but I love that quote. We'll see if it helps.
I love this!! I am getting ready to clean my house this morning and this will give me a different approach. Happy Saturday!
That's an awesome way to think about it!
*note to self, tell husband that.
(hahaha)
Hi Emily.
I wanted to invite you over to enter. I'm having my 1st giveaway!
Popped over from SITS!
Never thought of keeping the house - thanks!
Emily...I have just returned from our family vacation...and have caught up on my blog reading.... I think this is the first time i have posted a comment on your blog, but i have been following you for a few months now...i have loved getting to know about you and your family and your ever pressing heart towards our God! Thank you for always showing how your life is centered around His will... it is truely an encouragement to me...I also wanted to thank YOU so very much for leaving a comment on my little blog!! I could not believe it!! I know i sound a little like a HUGE fan..... but i am..... and i was so touched by you reaching out to let me know what you felt..Thank you...so much.and now that i am on a role... it is my delight to clean house... i use a cleaner called FABULOSA... in a purple liquid.. it just makes everything feel right...Fabulous..A! What a great perspective on the care and keeping of our homes... the very important job we have... just like taking the time to listen to our children.... or read one more book...or make ANOTHER meal...(that they may or may not like...)it is one of those things that just has to be done... and i am delighted that He allows me the honor of caring for this family and home... HE dwells in too!
That is a wonderful outlook on chores and cleaning. I'm impressed. very mature. I try to be just as mature. I really TRY!
Congrats on being a SITS Saucy blog this week. :o)
I love that perspective. I hope that my kids always like being home and want to bring their friends here. Cleaning SHOULD be an act of love. I should sticky note that somewhere.
I really liked this post. Everytime I cleaned something this weekend I kept saying to myself I am keeping house. I loved it and it changed my disposition so much.
Thanks for sharing and causing me to re-evaluate the way I view cleaning.
Blessings,
Linda
I loved this thought! A change in my thinking is especially important now that I have a husband in the house! It makes the simple act of cleaning seem like so much more when I think of it as keeping my home.
WOW! The FAMOUS Emily! Nice to meet you, although I feel as if I know you after seeing your face on fellow bloggy pals comment sections.
Yes...I am real...and not a blog ghost, I promise!
And I loved this post--I don't have a saying when it comes to cleaning, but I do have God's Word to help me along. I constantly quote Colossians 3:23 while doing dishes, laundry, bathrooms, etc...if I keep reminding myself that I'm doing it for the Lord, it helps keep my focus. I always joke that I'm going to hang this verse in my laundry room...haven't yet, but it will happen one day.
I really appreciate this! House cleaning is exhausting and a little rigid, but house keeping is beneficial and purposeful! Thanks for sharing this.
i need to work that sentiment into my life
Post a Comment