Wednesday, July 09, 2008

the shameless promoter of sisters

As many of you know, last week I did a couple of guest posts over at Nesting Place because her computer was in trouble. It has been running slow and loud for some time now and over the last few weeks, it began to present symptoms of an incurable disease. Hospice showed up towards the end of the week and by Friday, they paid their last respects and laid that fella to rest.

My sister has been open on her blog about her and her Manly Man Husbands' desire to get and stay out of debt. They are committed to buying their computer with money they already have rather than putting it on credit. She has been working her little bird tail off making tassels and other goodies to sell in order to raise money to buy another computer.
So she's hosting a giveaway. All you have to do to enter is buy something from her etsy shop and you can win this basket of lovelies. For those of you who have compassion towards the cause but don't think you have any use for something made from ribbons and fringe, allow me to try to change your mind.


Enter: The Tassel.
According to The Nester, this is the prettiest thing you'll never need. I completely agree except for the part about not needing it. I saw this bird tassel listed in her Esty shop and couldn't buy it up fast enough. And I'm her sister. She would have given it to me for free. But still, I was willing to pay for the birdie goodness.
Look, she has a birdie bustle with her trademark Nesting Place ribbon peeking out from underneath. I just love this bird. I look at her every night before I go to bed. And since The Nester fussed at me for buying a tassel when she could have just given me one, she threw this surprise in the box with the birdie when she shipped it out.
A bonus tassel. A church for birds. My bird tassel loves Jesus. And she goes to church in this little church house. For bird tassels.

The bird was the first tassel I bought, but it isn't the first tassel I've ever had. When the twins were born, along with the garland she made for them, she also made several tassels to put in their room. Here is a close up of one of my favorites.
I am beginning to realize I am somewhat partial to the tassels that have an animal as a topper. The dogs are to die for. My girls love the rabbits. And the horse. Oh my. The horse. I saw one on her blog yesterday and I nearly spilled my coffee for all the lurching I did toward the screen to get a better look. Then I clicked on the image to make it larger. Then I just left it up there on my screen and gazed. Oh, that horse.

I know not everyone can afford to buy something they don't need, no matter how pretty it is. I respect that for sure. But if you have had your eye on any of those tassels and have been meaning to get yourself one, I would encourage you to do so this week. And be sure to pat yourself on the back for contributing to a worthy cause.

27 comments:

Heathahlee said...

"My bird tassel loves Jesus." Oh, you make me smile big, Emily! I think I'm going to settle the chickies I just painted (ala Kimba) around my church birdhouse so they can sing Chris Tomlin and Kari Jobe to their hearts' content.

Jen said...

Yup, you've come by before. :) I nearly fainted. In fact, I think I said I did when I replied *grin*

I have boy-girl twins. You'd be supprised how many people ask me if they are identical. ....Uh... ~no~...

Dawn said...

What a good sister you are! I hope she sells tons and tons of tassels so she can keep on bloggin'!

Kimba said...

You're a sweet sister! I'm so glad to hear that your bird tassel has been saved!

Trixi said...

I have to agree with the above, You are a sweet sister. Her tassels are wonderful.

Heather said...

Awwww...you are such a sweet sister!! You CRACK me up about your bird loving Jesus. Off to go check out what's for sale. I'm all for supporting such a good cause!!

Lauren and Justin said...

i bought one :) (it's a black and white bird tassel) and randy came yesterday to measure our cabinets so he can paint them. so, my new tassel will match my new black and white kitchen. sweet.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

If your bird tassel loves Jesus, do you think our dog goes...our real one, that is. My sister daughters ask that all the time, and I will tell them that Miss Emily says "yes." How's that for theology.:)

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting, waiting, waiting for her to put up a garland. I'm so afraid that it's going to be snatched up before I check it! They're oh so pretty!!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I know nester is so busy these days, but does she still have tassels at the shop in Savannah? I will be heading down there this week and thought I would check it out if she does. They are selling so fast it is amazing! Thought you might be able to answer quicker since her fingers are working away. Great post by the way.

emily freeman said...

Empty Nest - Yes! I think there are still 3 left there at Moss. So check it out! (there's a doggie and a typewriter...ahhh. Cuteness!)

Darlene said...

You did a great job filling in for your sis.....and that is so nice of you to buy a tassel from her (when you know you didn't need to).

I already contributed to the computer fund and am anxiously awaiting my tassel. I'm just so excited!!!

Amy said...

emily,
i was looking at your photos of your family room and was wondering if you used any type of Kilz or similar seal before painting the Tabacco Road. my parents house has paneling that would be a lot easier to paint than remove.
Thx, A

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Just stopping by to thank you for the comment you left. My fingers aren't small, really (size 7) but my hands themselves are small. I just look weird with big rings on, like I'm going to topple over any second.

Northern Michigan Mom said...

Emily, I love reading both you and your sister's blogs. I had been eyeing up her tassels and thought it was a great time to buy. I'll be checking my mailbox daily. I so enjoy the relationship between you and your sister. I envy what the two of you have. I always thought is would be so great to have a sister, however, because I don't I'm so thankful to have the best girlfriends EVER!!

Kitty Scraps said...

Love your post today and what a darling sister you are to support your sister in her goals. So wishing I still had a sister...

Anonymous said...

your are such a great sister! She will have a new computer in no time!

Jami said...

what are sisters for anyway! :) very nice.

Dede Warren said...

I love those fab tassels, I'll hop on over and have a peek.

ALSO don't forget to tell your sister that just because her computer is out, she DOESN"T have to buy everything! She should keep the keyboard, monitor, mouse, and printer. Simply buy the computer. We did this for both our kids and got them great new computers for about $400. each. I NEVER buy on credit, so ever bit helps. Plus when its only the computer we buy, we save so much e-waste, AND that's good for our planet!

Annie said...

As the middle child of 3 girls, I can say that's what sisters are for! I love her tassels too!

Anonymous said...

You are too awesome and I love your blog JUST AS MUCH as I love going to Nester.

And yes, I supported the cause and bought an adorable black and white bird tassel...

Aren't sisters great, especially now that we're adults??

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I hope your sister sells enough to get her new computer! I have featured you today on Today's Creative Blog!
Please email me for your button that all featured bloggers receive.
krjdemmon@comcast.net

Jennifer P. said...

What a good big sister!!! I'm checking my Dave Ramsey budget this month to see if I can buy me a tassle!--kind of funny when a fellow Ramsey-er has to ask you to flub a little :)! I do hope and hope that she gets that new computer though. The borrowed one looks, uh, a little challenged.....

And Jesus is very happy that your birdie is a believer and has a place to let it be known ;)!

Kitty Scraps said...

Hey just had to stop by and congratulate you on being featured on Today's Creative Blog! Now everyone will know how wonderful you are!

Natalie Jane said...

Adorable!!!!

The Style Sisters said...

What a sweet sister you are! We know all about "sisters" on our website. We just love to help each other out. I only wished we lived closer. We will check out your sisters ETSY shop. Love all your room re-do's! We are always doing something new to our homes too. It is so inspiring to see other do the same.
Karin

Anonymous said...

ohh.....please tell her to make more bird tassels like that! I want one!