We didn't watch fireworks this year. We stayed home and put the kids to bed on time. We did have some fun in the backyard with smoke bombs. They are small, cheap and unassuming. If you're looking for a pop or a bang, they are pretty useless. But for my preschoolers, they sure are entertaining. All they do is make lots and lots of smoke. Very environmentally conscious, we are.
Watching those smoke bombs light from a spark and then fog up the yard in a matter of seconds, it made me think about the crazy way our minds work sometimes. For example, the other day in a brief moment of four-year-old panic, one of my girls blurted out "I don't like these clothes, my face is wrong and I don't want to have that smile." Well, then.
My face is wrong? Are you kidding me? She's four. How can her face be wrong? Her face couldn't be more right. I thought of how dramatic she was being. How irrational. How ridiculous.
And how familiar. She sounded just like me. She was simply brave enough to say it out loud.
To be honest, sometimes I feel badly about myself just like she does. I feel insecure and listen to the voice in my head that says I'm not good enough or don't measure up. What starts like a spark in my mind quickly ignites and fogs up the truth. And the emotions burst forth from their familiar hiding place and run around aimlessly, untamed and unruly.
The truth is, the smoke bombs will go off. The sparks will come, the emotions will swing from high to low. That is normal, neutral even. The challenge comes in knowing what to do in the midst of the smoke, in remembering that my identity is secure in Christ even if my emotions imply otherwise. Even harder than believing that myself is teaching my little ones what it means to not allow those crazy emotions to rule the day.
So here's to an even keel Monday. May the smoke bombs be few and far between at your house. And if they happen to go off, as I'm sure they will, look on the bright side: at least they are colorful.
Monday, July 07, 2008
little ball, lots of smoke
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
31 comments:
I'm all about even keel days. Believe me, if you think it's bad at 4, you can just imaginge with 3 teenage girls, we have many a smoke bomb to deal with!! :)
Hopefully I can keep them focused on how Christ sees them. That feels like a full time job sometimes!
i don't think i 'll ever be able to look at a smoke bomb the same way again! What a great analogy.
I know hearing your little girl say that just made me want to hug her! (I'm sure you did :)!). I know whenever I am tempted to say something bad about myself, I picture one of my boys saying it about himself, and it always stops me in my tracks. i'm sure God feels the same way about us when we put ourselves down.
Thanks for giving me something so positive to dwell on before bed!
I hope you don't mind but I've added your post to my daily blogger page. I love your insight and often visit for some grounding in my own life. I love this entry and how many days in my life have I too felt this way about myself?! You are so right, Christ does know my true face and heart no matter what smoke I put in front of it myself. I pray that my own daughter continues to think she's a beautiful princess when she looks in the mirror as she did today just before her 2nd birthday. She squeeled with such joy when she looked at herself. Then, she said, "Oh what beautiful eyes. Oh what beautiful lips. Oh what a beautiful nose." I promise and I have witnesses and a video camera to prove it and hopefully play back to her when she's older and has a poor self image day. You and your post rock! Your family is beautiful. Each and every person in it! I know you tell them thid daily or you wouldn't have even thought to write such a moving/reflective post.
well said!
Were you in my house last night? Because this sure is the thing that hubby and I were talking about...it is just so hard to clear the fog out sometimes, isn't it?
Oh...I love the things kids say! I will never forget this one. We had been learning about electricity, energy & the body. On our way out to eat that night, my book smart presidential history loving girl Courtney, who was 9 at the time, would not stop talking...about presidents. My youngest, quiet observant analytical creative Logan, who was 4 at the time, says to Courtney "would you please stop talking...you're wasting electricity!" We still laugh about this:0)
I agree with another poster, well said.
Hmmm...this is a great analogy...and it could be turned into a really wonderful devotion...and submitted somewhere...like maybe the Proverbs 31 online devotional...not that I'm pushing or anything...being that you're a She Speaks graduate and all...and could submit said devotion...that might be published...and read by thousands of people around the world...and help them immensely...but I'm really not trying to put suggestions in your mind or anything.
Good analogy. Having 2 teenage girls I understand the dealing with emotions and teaching them to not be ruled by those emotions. I have always told them that who they are in Christ is more important than anything the world says you should be or look like. We are blessed that they are pretty well grounded and we have few 'smoke bombs' in our home!
Lisa Q
lifewiththequeens.blogspot.com
I am so enjoying getting to know your sweet "heart" here first, just as your family is getting ready to know our kids way to much over the oh...next 15 years.:)
Here's to balancing beauty and bedlam,
Jen
I also hope you don't mind, as I have added you to my blog list as well. The moment I happened upon your blog I was stricken by the description. You have a secret dream to be a dancer...I am a dancer...you have just recently accepted Jesus Christ into your life...I was saved 4 weeks ago...
There is a genuineness that I feel when I read your blogs, and I hope you don't mind that I continue to frequent your site in the future. Take care and God bless!
Funny - I blogged about something very similar today...
Good post.
I mean yours was a good post. I wasn't trying to brag about my own...
Loved this post:) You have such a way with words. I've added you to my blog list. Hope that's ok:)
I've been a silent reader for awhile and I just want to say thanks for this post - it's just what I needed!
For that very reason, I have tried so hard to be careful of what I say in front of my dd. I know that she will hear it all from the media that she isn't good enough. I have always faught myself with horrible self-esteem. I catch myself saying things about myself that I would never want dd to repeat. So I must work on this. I don't want this to be a smoke bomb that my dd has to deal with.
"My face is wrong, and I don;t want to have that smile" That's a wonderful quote! I feel like that from time to time.
When I feel this way I am drawn to the first and second chapters of Ephesians. It's a wonderful description of who we are and what we have as His children! Not that I actually live that way...
I think Jennifer P. said it very well, and I will try to take it to heart, that when she's tempted to say something downing herself, she thinks of one of her boys saying it, so it stops her. Very thought provoking! I'll have to do that next time...I wish I had had this post last night! :)
The smoke bombs were a goin' off at my house the other day too...and I don't mean the pretty, colored smokey ones :( I was such a grump and probably didn't deal with things very well. Until, sweet husband reminded me of just the things you were saying. Trying to teach little ones how to deal with those bombs is VERY hard...when obviously I have trouble smothering them myself! Parenting is very hard...but it's so nice knowing every one has those moments! Thanks!
Wow. I needed this today. Thank you for putting words to what I'm feeling today.
Thank you! From, Smoke Bomb City
ah, bless your heart. Touched by yours is mine again today.
Ironically (or not, actually) last night I added one extra little prayer before I allowed sleep to peacefully enfold my mind (for about an hour before the 3rd child came knocking). And it was literally, 'let it be an even keel Monday, please Lord.'
Emily, thank you. Seriously. For listening to Him speak to you - and to us, subsequently - from the otherwise mundane view of a smoke bomb. I never would have thought. And yet, now I do.
~Karin
I missed you at the NEsters place so I had to come and visit....
What a great reminder. I did a bible study called "Managing Your Moods" in the spring. You summed up 10 weeks of study perfectly.
Our emotions are fickle but our true identity lies with Christ. He is the one who gives us value and worth.
And when I was a kid, I clearly remember lighting a smoke bomb and putting it under someone's car. How horrible!!!! I was a really good kid. I can't imagine what made me do that!
Your blog is incredibly inspiring for me. Great post.
Blessings,
Trixi
That is the coolest picture of that smoke bomb. We do those and snakes and the pop things you throw on the ground. Some of the other fireworks make such a loud noise!
The smoke bombs of life can really cloud your vision. They do mine all. the. time. It was a great analogy.
Hi! New here. This is a very fun blog. Thanks for sharing.
-Sara
www.dixiegypsy.com
I know which girl said that!
She is so brave to voice it, I love that about her!
smoke bombs going off everywhere around here the past few days! I guess they can be pretty but they sure do smell putrid.
Love you girl!
PS,
bonita is so right. And I'm not just saying that because I tend to agree with her on everything and love and adore her and you.
this is good stuff.
You came by to see me! Thank you...again. I have a sweet loving life - full of hope! but bomb city has to do with my comment on your bye bye kid hello man post - my good man has been looking for work for 6 months and that set off a few other related amunition. Wow - am I really that unbelieving that my emotions are exploding in my home this often? Lately, yes. Your writing, your insight is sweet and sound - I second (third?) nester and bonita!
Oh the things that 4 year olds say, write it all down because things like that are too cute to ever forget, and you think you won't forget, but you will. Why are we all so hard on ourselves? *sigh* it seems built in from an early age, it is good that she has a wise mommy like you to help her through those kinds of feelings.
Post a Comment