The azaleas are blooming in Hilton Head. I don't usually like azaleas. They are scrawny, burnt looking bushes most of the year. Until they bloom. And for those few weeks, they can certainly be beautiful. I am surprised that beauty can come from such an ugly bush.
I always forget how much I love the Low Country of South Carolina; how beautiful the water, the allure of the tree lined path of Plantation Drive. The Spanish moss hangs lazy and low from those branches. Every year I take some home with me. And every year I am disappointed that my baggie full of moss just isn't the same away from the island.
Somehow the beauty of this place almost makes it lonely. Maybe it's just because I know there is change waiting for us when we get back home. It is more likely because The Man isn't with us. I think there is something about a beautiful place that demands intimate company or it almost seems as though it doesn't count. I imagine Adam felt that way in the Garden before Eve was made but he didn't know why.
It is sweet to be in such a beautiful place on a day that celebrates new life and freedom. It is hard to believe that beauty can come from suffering and death. I think of Isaiah 53:11: "After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied." What a prediction. What a promise. I often forget how opposite the Lord thinks from the way I think: how the last will be first, how beauty comes from ashes, how life comes from death. It doesn't makes sense, really. But I am certainly thankful it is true.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
opposite day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Poignant. Thank you.
Mmm, hmm. Good post sister. Happy resurrection day to you.
p.s. My Dad says not to touch that moss because it's full of fleas. Maybe he just doesn't want me trying to steal the moss from his trees.
I love that verse! Easter is such a powerful holiday! I love it!
Happy Easter, my dear friend.
i was looking forward to your blogs from the island...knowing you girls were down there. glad you're able to be there, just wish i was there with you, friend!
Pretty!
Post a Comment