Sunday, March 30, 2008

my crazy, mixed up (Hilton) head

We made it home from Hilton Head...my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and my kids. It was girls only this week. Well, except for the baby, but he doesn't really count as a guy yet. Besides, he still has that pink paci and he spent more than a few hours in a princess pull up. To sum up the week, we pretty much ate too much chocolate, watched lots of chick flicks and bought way too many shoes. It was perfect.

Here is one last thought I wanted to share with you from the island.
Attention men and women of the world with hairstyles...come here and they will give you Harbour Town. For your hairstyle. Ain't that nice of them? I think it ought to be Hairstyles for Your Hilton Head.

Anyway, so we're home. Except it feels a bit less like home than it did when we left because there is a For Sale sign in the yard now. I felt kind of guilty when I saw it. I know. I'm a freak. It's just that I love this house. And she's kind of become like, the 6th member of our family. And we have fancied, polished and dressed her all up just to show her off and sell her to the highest bidder. And soon, we're going to leave her and I don't know if the next people will love her as much as we have. And that makes me sad. And now you see how deep my issues really go.

We had lots of showings while we were out of town. And I can tell people have touched my stuff. And it smells different. But it's still clean, which is a perk. We are getting more excited about our new house...our 45 year old new house.

I think I'm ready to talk about it. Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Finding Normal said...

I can't wait to see pics of the new place, so quit teasing us already! ;)

The Nester said...

Don't worry your pretty little hilton head about your new old house. You are gonna forget you ever lived in your cape cod and love your new big ole grand family home!

you are a real grown up now.

I cannot wait to see it! We want photos!!!! Now!

The Nester said...

I loved your inside of your house tour! I wish that you could give everyone your link to that but I guess then they would all know your address and come and kill you dead. Actually, by the time the killer got there, you would probably be moved out.

Suzanne said...

A year ago we left a very small raised ranch that we competely redid and though it was never a good fit for us, it was home and where we brought our babies home from the hospital. We moved into a huge house built just for us by my husband, and though it has 'everything' I could ever wish for, it sometimes feels like a vacation (shhh don't tell hubby).

Every once in a while, the new owners call and ask me to come show them how to do something (irrigation almost every time) and I rush over so I can see my old house and what they've done. And though they love it so very much, it looks awful -- bad bad taste! And I secretly feel happy.

Little by little, as the boxes get unpacked and we settle in (with a little help from Nester's tassel), I love my new big house. It's becoming home and is where my kids will grow.

Wishes to you that you 'get there' too!

Mandy said...

It is so good to know that someone else has the same neurotic notions that I have and we aren't in the process of moving. But I am grieving this house, this cute house that I have loved and know that I will have to leave because it no longer fits our family. This is where my babies learned to walk and where their cribs resided. The new house will probably not have a crib. I still dream about the house I grew up in that my parents sold when I was sixteen. It's a sad situation and I vote for a support group!

emily freeman said...

Preach it mandy & Michael! I'm with you on the support group idea. I am way too sentimental for my own good (and everyone else around me, for that matter).

Anonymous said...

I get attached to houses, cars, even clothes. Gym shorts from 7th grade, I can't quit you!

What is it with women and sentimentality?

I'm picturing everyone coming out of "Hairstyles for Your Hilton Head" with those Paris Hilton bangs...

Sissy said...

I certainly understand. I would get so offended when people wouldn't like my house. One couple wouldn't even go into our house because they didn't like the yard. You aren't living in the yard, people. GO INSIDE! Oh, these are my issues.

Post pics soon, Em. Or better yet, give me a call and take me to see the new house. I'm local. I'm no murderer. I would love to seeeee...please? Pretty please?

Katie said...

Hahahaha! I drifted over like the Nester told us to... and I love your blog! Through reading all those new posts, I have had so many reasons to comment, but I have to tell you when I read this...about the "pink paci" and spending "more than a few hours in a princess pull-up..." I just lost it...HIGH-larious! hehe! I am loving looking at the pictures of your new home...that master bedroom...wow! But it looks like a great house! Can't wait to see even more!