Tuesday, March 25, 2008

me and my nosey self

I have this thing where when I go see a movie in the theater, I don't like to talk about it right away. And if I go with people who, right when the credits begin to roll, turn to me in the dark and say "So, whaddya think?" I will say nothing and just look at them. I don't know why that is. I think it has something to do with the fact that I don't want the strangers who sit behind us to hear my opinions. Because everyone just saw the same movie. To ask me what I thought is such an obvious question. Wow. That really made sense in my head.

But I had that same feeling walking in Harbour Town today. If you didn't know about the couple who disappeared from here three weeks ago, you really wouldn't notice anything different. Except everyone around here does know. And also because their boat is still in the harbor. I didn't want to just walk confidently up to it and start snapping photos although maybe that would have been better than to pretend like that wasn't why I was there.

So I lingered. And I took photos of the lighthouse and flowers and chains (yes, chains); some of my favorite things to photograph in the harbor. And then I sat down and shuffled some rocks. And then I took yet another picture of the lighthouse. And then I looked over my shoulder (yes, I really did) and snuck a few of the Yellow Jacket.

I've seen it here before...over the years of visiting the island. The yacht is small, especially compared to the Pa-Li-Ne that sits right next to it. Standing there looking at it, you would think her owners were simply down below or spending some time at the Quarterdeck for lunch. As I lingered, I heard passersby speculate about what may have happened to them, how they could have disappeared on purpose just to get away. At least 6 people took photos before I did. With their phones or their point and shoots. I could have gotten a better shot, but I would have had to get closer and it would have blown my cover. I don't like to be obvious, you know.

I imagine to the locals it might be annoying. I might be annoying. Disrespectful, maybe? But there is something about a tragedy that has gained nationwide attention that causes people to want to gawk in spite of themselves, especially a story that is shrouded in so much mystery.

I stood there for a bit, imagining what may have happened to this couple, hoping they are still alive and will walk along the manicured lawns of the harbor and take up residence on their boat again. I kind of hate myself for taking a photo of their empty boat, evidence that something just isn't right. It is sad and strange and it is none of my business, really. But being here, I can't help but think of them. And to pray that maybe they are coming back.

14 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

i had not heard of that story. but i am the same way, unobtrusive. i don't like to be noticed. and, i like to watch movies alone.

Tracey said...

Since I never watch the news or read the paper, I hadn't heard of this story. But now my nosey self is rubbernecking at their photos and I just read several articles about them.

I am praying for their safety.

Wilson Ramblings said...

in an odd way, thanks for bringing me up to date on current events. thanks for being my popparotzi (sp?)! Have fun in hilton head!

emily freeman said...

Paparazzi. Paparazzo is the singular form. And now I really officially hate myself. Too much People.

Sissy said...

I knew the story already, Em, so don't feel so bad. Or maybe I should feel bad with you for having a subscription to People. I have to admit that I would be drawn to it too, AND I would be like you, not trying to let anyone know what I was up to.

It is quite the mystery. I do hope they turn up. That would be the great happy ending I always like...

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

A very sad situation. I hope that they are found. I think People Magazie had or is going to have something about. Perhaps I am wrong and it was on tv (the story). In any case. Prayers to the family.

Added you to my blog roll...

Unknown said...

Such a sad story. I hope they are found safe. Terriby sad.

On a happier note, love your blog. Especially 1993 post. -)

Musings of a Housewife said...

I've been to Harbor Town! I didn't know about the people who disappeared. How unsettling.

Tonja said...

I wonder why we do that, too. Gawk at places or things that are tragic. We want to look and we want to not look...we really want to check it out, but we don't want anyone to know we're checking it out. It is almost like a compulsion. I think it has something to do with the fact that it did not happen to us. Maybe a confirmation, for a little while at least, that we are OK. Isn't it sad that happened, I'm so sorry, but I am still fine...and safe. Isn't it the same way we strain to see the after effects of an accident on the interstate? So sad..I'd better be careful or it will happen to me. I also think it reminds us that in some way, we are all connected to each other. We all belong to this human race and everything that happens to one affects us even if in a minute way.

Wow! To much deep thought for one day...I gotta go eat some chocolate or something and clear my head!

Blessings!

The Nester said...

I wonder how many people walk by that sweet boat not knowing the story and envy the people who own it and wish they were them and start hating their own life because they are not this couple.


I don't know why I thought of that but I know that when I've been there I can't help but wonder about all the boat owners and assume they have a perfect life.

The Nester said...

oh and that movie thing--same. exact. way.


also when a really fancy, fancy schmancy car drives by I have to purposely look the other way so the driver knows that I don't care and am not impressed by their fancy car.

Heather said...

I hadn't heard of this story either, but it sounds sad and I would've taken a picture of the boat too.

Okay, and I'm one of those people who turns to you after the movie and asks how you liked it. I'll try to remember not to do that if we ever go to a movie together. :o)

Tracey said...

Hi Emily,

Thanks so much for coming by to see how I have been making room! Nice to have you over since I hang out at your place so often!

Tracey

Jennifer P. said...

I have been such a lazy blogger lately! THis post was very mysterious....kind of like a car wreck when you don't want to see, but you can't look away for some reason. Love your pictures of the azaleas in the post below too. You sure have a gift for photography.