Sunday, March 16, 2008

more quirks as promised

In the spirit of focusing on things that are meaningless but still important, here are some more questions that I've just been dying to ask.

1. Do you have certain words that you just can't use?
Most of the words on my hate list happen to begin with the letter "p": particle, puss, pimple, putrid, pasty. I can't believe I just wrote those words in my personal space. Maybe it isn't normal to have a list...?

2. Do you easily buy and replace things for just you?
Like makeup, sunglasses, new underwear? I've had a Wal-Mart pair of sunglasses for over 2 years now. They are falling apart. But until I lose them, I just. can't. get new ones. And my blush is a pink, powdery mess in it's compact. But it still works, right? And the underwear....well, you know. Don't you? Do you know? Or am I crazy?

3. Are you ok using a spoon at birthday parties?
When there is ice cream and cake involved, everyone seems to think it is SO necessary to eat it with a spoon. I hate using spoons. Unless it is for cereal or soup. I will use a spoon for ice cream alone...but when there is cake involved, I just can't take it.

Don't you love the way I disguise my freaky quirks as questions?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh. Everyone here eats ice cream and cake with a fork.

I hear you on the underwear...

Caroline said...

Gotta use a fork with cake and ice cream, and I can't stand the word "moist". "Wound" (as in an injury) is also a weird word, but not as much as "moist". YUCK! Pasty is a bad one too- EEEWWWW! I will replace things, but not until they get lost or I really need a new one. I try to be practical, but not as much with underwear.

Marie said...

If you are a freak, so am I. My husband grew up in a house where his mother set the table each night for dinner with a fork and a spoon. What could someone possibly need to use a spoon for at dinner? Besides soup? Or chili? I always thought THEY were the ones with the quirk...maybe it's me? ha ha

My First Kitchen said...

1. Moist, panties, albeit, and funk.
2. I don't replace. I usually just add to. The bad underwear is still in circulation.
3. I love spoons. LOVE them. Big and small. Especially with cake and ice cream. Yeah, I said it.

Melissa Stover said...

ok you got me on these. there are so many words i can't bear to use or hear but one of the newest phrases is "my bad." i absolutely cannot stand to hear it. it just sounds really stupid to me.

as for buying things for myself, i'm pretty bad at it. i finally replaced all my holey underwear. i have trouble buying myself a new pen.

the spoon thing is not a big deal to me. spoon, fork, fingers. just kidding on the fingers part. probably the strangest thing is i won't eat cake at a birthday party. i don't like store bought cake and i don't like homemade cake unless i made it myself. i'm a very quirky eater.

John Deere Mom said...

1.I am very picky about pronuncing words correctly. I'd rather poke my eyes out than hear people use "probably, supposedly, and specific" incorrectly. Subject/verb agreement is a biggie too. "We was at the store. I seen that movie." Please, shoot me now.
2. The only things I buy for myself are pens. I LOVE pens. I buy pens all the time. I will also occasionally spluge on a purse with a matching wallet. But that's about it. I will scratch my cornea trying to use the last little nub of eyeliner so I totally get the broken blush. Underwear was a lot more exciting when I would occasionally let someone see me in it. Since lately it's just me or my hubby in the pitch dark, I don't mind old underwear.

3. Spoon, fork...makes no differece to me. Heck, I will even use a spork.

Jennifer P. said...

1.Only one word I hate saying, and it's the name of an auto parts store here--Napa. Drives me crazy. Probably because I grew up in a town called Nampa, and it sounds like saying that with a stuffy nose. I do have words I LOVE to say though--audible, bamboo, and pipe. Go figure.
2.Sometimes I get a little "splurgy" on myself--but usually if I've taken on a design project and it's "my" money I'm spending. Other than that--all my makeup is a powdery mess too. Been using the same blush for 10 years now!
3. I'm a freak and will usually ask for both fork and spoon at a party. Like my cake with a fork, my ice cream with a spoon. I'm sure they appreciate doing the extra dishes on my sake!

So great that we all have our own little crazy quirks ;)!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who has a real issue with certain words, such as "succulent," which I try to use in front of her 40 times a day. For me, it is phrases that bug me. For example, "24/7." HATE that phrase. I also cannot stand "hit the ground running."

And as someone who has to go on an archeological dig to scrape the last of her foundation from the compact, yes. I am having trouble replacing.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I forgot! Eating with a spoon skeeves me out, but I'll do it to fit in.

emily freeman said...

Oh I am so pleased by these comments. You ladies have really hit the ground running. I could do this 24/7. Oh, looky there. I'm using all your hate phrases. My bad.

Sissy said...

I am with Chickadee...I hate the phrase "my bad." Is it really that hard to say "my mistake?" I don't think so. One of my pet peeves is the question "where you stay?" Um, I LIVE in Greensboro!

Words I hate: breasts, grasp vs gasped, principal (people misprounce that all the time, saying princiBLE.)

I always hated the combination of cake and ice cream. The ice cream ruins the frosting and makes the cake soggy. One or the other, please. And the appropriate utensil with that food item.

But yes, I did grow up in a house where a fork, knife and spoon were put on the table each night. I am sure we washed many clean spoons over the years.

Darla said...

byebyepie you crack me up! Using a spoon to fit in (LOL).

I DID buy myself a pair of sunglasses last summer while we were on vacation. They went into their own separate bag (I found them at Target) and they made it to the car and from that point on I never saw them again. So, I'm still wearing my several year old sunglasses.

Oh undies...yeah....I hear ya. But when I do buy them I buy like 18-20 pairs at a time (only to put them way at the bottom of the drawer for a "special" occasion - incase I get into an accident I guess?? haha).

I hate "Swim in your own lane", "It was unbelievable"...there are several words I can't bring myself to say, but somuchso I can't say them here. ;)

Sarah said...

Okay, let's see...words I hate. Well, for some reason I hate "nougat", and ever since I lived in Ireland the word "shag" does not mean a beach dance so I shudder when anyone uses it...and usually look to see if anyone from the UK is around (once there was-hilarious!).

As for replacing things, yep, I do. My new year's resolution was to replace all my undies that squished the bit of 30-something softness around my hips either up or down so I tossed it all and went with boy shorts.

And as for ice cream and cake with a spoon- I'd rather only have one utensil to keep up with so I guess a spoon does the trick for both.

Heather said...

I honestly can't think of any words I hate saying (except for bad words). I'll have to think about that because I'm not coming up with anything at the moment.

I'm horrible about replacing things for myself. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how old my underwear is.

I'm with Sissy. I don't like ice cream together with my cake. So I'll ask for one or the other, thus dictating the utensil I'm given. Unless there are only plastic forks for eating my ice cream and then I'm annoyed. Really, really annoyed. How am I supposed to get to the melty part without licking my bowl in public?

Wilson Ramblings said...

There are few words that I hate... actually, I like words. However, I've noticed that since I've quit working and since I've had a baby, I seem to forget all the words I used to know... hmmm... anyway. There's one word that I just can't bring myself to say, actually I can't even type it. It begins with a "v"... I have one, my husband doesn't. I HATE THAT WORD and I have no clue why!

Sunglasses get lost in our house so fast! It seems like they are always missing... not to mention when we go on a trip, they never seem to make it into the luggage, therefore we always end up buying some! I have a bad habit of hanging onto makeup for years and years. Maybe it's because I don't wear it often, but it just hangs around. I have some lipstick that I wore on my honeymoon - 6 years ago! I wish I replaced my underwear more often and splurged on the soft kind I used to wear in college. These days the good ol; fruit of the loom works for me. They're cheap and they last forever! :)

I love spoons, except sharp plastic spoons. Those are horrible. I prefer to eat my ice cream with a fork at birthday parties though because it's usually on a plate at parties and it's easier to get little bites with a fork! At home, I eat it with a spoon!

cath said...

I can not stand the word moist. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any at the time.

I never buy new things for myself. I feel guilty. I'd rather spend the money on my house - I mean, a lot more people see my house then my undies....but once I loose all this baby weight, I am planning a trip to get a pretty undie set.

I don't like ice cream or frosting. I know, I'm weird. So a fork is the only way to go with cake and I can't stand eating it with a spoon...infact, I don't eat it if they only have spoons. And yes, that might just make me a untensil snob :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

Girl. Go to the mall and get yourself a nice pair of sunglasses!! Doctor's orders. ;-)

And a fork with my cake and ice cream PLEASE.

Musings of a Housewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tonja said...

I hate the word "pimple"..don't like to hear it or say it.

Do not have trouble replacing things for myself. Living for so many years with 4 males, I needed to treat myself frequently.

Do not like to mix my cake and ice cream. Always like a fork with cake. In our family, we always eat our ice cream with an ice tea spoon...you know with the long handle. I don't now why, but it's tradition now.

The Nester said...

i hate the word moist.

hate hate hate.

don't say moist around me.