Thursday, August 14, 2008

sunroom woes

I need help. See that room through those doors? That is our sunroom. I'm a minimalist and don't believe in furniture. Or this photo was taken the day before we moved in.
Here's the deal: there is sort of a wet bar in the sun room. The wine thing is broken. The faucet is 1964. And well, we don't really have a use for it, as we aren't what you would call an alcohol family. Not that I know anyone I would call "an alcohol family". You know what I mean.
I know there are tons of things to do with a wet bar besides serving alcohol from it. The problem is, I just can't think of any of them.
So help me. What do I do with this space?
While you think, here's a photo to prove we have furniture. The wet bar is there on the left, just out of the shot. Now help!

76 comments:

The Nester said...

I think barbies would fit perfectly in that diamond wine rack part. Then on the sides you could put all the barbie furniture--sofas all in one compartment, clothes and shoes all in another. And they can use the sink as a hot tub.

In my house it would already be full on NASCARS.

Sorry everyone to be first and have the best most beautiful and useful idea. I mean, this is perfect, right?

The Nester said...

You could also pull out the sink and cabs and mirror and have a little bookshelf built there.

Melissa said...

I'd use the cabinets for games or kids toys & put a couple of pots of flowers/plants in the sink (til I could pull it out).

For the wine rack: (1) put a mirror over it; (2) put "treasures" behind the lattice & put glass over it; (3) put fabric covered board over it; or (4) put painted board over it, and use to display kids artwork.

Kathleen Grace said...

Take the doors off, remove the wine rack and sink, add shelves and make a display hutch?

Darlene said...

You sister definitely knows best.....I would do the bookshelf. Then you have a display area also.

Bonita said...

First, I love that room! Is that skylights I see in addition to those gigantic windows? Beautiful!

I'm an "afternoon tea" minded person so my first thought was to use it for a little tea area. You could switch things around a bit and maybe add a little microwave or hot plate somewhere for warming the water. Take the cabinet doors off and have a display of tea cups, pots, books, doilies etc... on those shelves.

But since you may not care diddly squat about tea, the bookshelf idea is good too.

Kathi Roach said...

Invite your sister over, sit back on your comfy looking couch and let her do her thing.

Anonymous said...

I'd use it as a kids craft storage area, for all the messy stuff like paints etc..

The cabinets could house the supplies that you don't want the kids getting into, and the sink would be a great place to rinse brushes, wash hands... etc.

I'd see about removing the spacers of the wine shelf, and somehow fashioning a drying rack for kids' projects. - OR put a fabric mistreatment over it, and store larger items in that large space.

Mommy said...

My first thought is to remove the sink. Then remove the wine rack and have some shelves put across where you could display things. Put some groovy knobs on those two large doors, a perfect little tassel (I bet you could find one pretty easily) and you are set.

Heathahlee said...

Yeah, what they (all) said! : )

Ainsley said...

What a great room! I have no ideas for you, but I I really love that room!

Lauren and Justin said...

You could take the wine thingy out, take the doors off, paint the inside white, and have yourself another set of bookshelves. take the sink out, new countertop, and add a pretty nester-fied floral arrangement, framed photos, candles, etc? OR, leave the doors on, and use the cabinet for storage for the kids' toys. if someone already gave this idea, then i'm sorry - i didn't read all the comments :) it looks great! i want a sunroom!

Katie said...

I have a friend that collects neat rolling pins and puts them in her wine rack. But they may just be cute in the kitchen. Sorry I guess I wasn't much help.

The Nester said...

I'm taking over your blog, sister.

LOVE the craft idea!!!! Can I be your kid and we do crafts in there?

LOVE the ROLLING PIN idea!!! People are so creative!

Little Towhee said...

How about an art corner for the kids? Of course, if your kids aren't into art, it wouldn't be a good idea necessarily.

The sink is a perfect place for little project clean up, and the diamond-shaped part of the rack could be ripped out to leave you a display area or bookcase. That's perfect storage area on the sides for supplies.

Having kids myself of school age (ages 5 and 7 in Guilford County), I know that homework (even in kindergarten) needs a place to be done. Or else, your kitchen counter and/or table gets covered with school stuff. You could make that area into some kind of homework/school papers launching area. Put the work table right nearby, of course.

I'd leave the sink. If you have to move ever again, there might be a buyer who would appreciate it.

Oh, one more idea. That could be a plant potting corner too.

emily freeman said...

These ideas are so great! I knew I could count on you guys...crafts! Fabric! Shelves! Keep 'em coming ladies. I need all the help I can get.

Debbie said...

I love all the ideas - and I do agree you may not want to rip it all out because there are buyers out there who would like the "alcohol thingy" (not us either though). Why not just treat it as a window and hide it with fabric - maybe a nice TOILE Roman shade with Wide Bold Ribbon.
It's all lovely.
Debbie

Sissy said...

I like the art area, since I am so artsy. Having a sink makes it nice to clean up. We took a wine rack out of that island piece that I have because we aren't an "alcohol family" either. That made me laugh, but I know what you mean.

Chris said...

I think I'm the minority, but I wouldn't be so quick to rip out the sink. It doesn't have to be for alcohol. If you do any entertaining at all, it's nice to have. I especially would like it for kids. I think the doors should be taken off and made into storage shelves. Get some cute little buckets or baskets for art supplies. Rip the wine rack out and do some cute magnet strips to hang kids' art work from. If not that, dress it up as an entertaining area. Still have the open shelves, but use pretty glassware or teapots to accentuate its use as a refreshment center. Good luck! You have some good ideas here!

Carrie said...

I would say add a shelve just above the sink/faucet and hang a mistreatment below the shelf to cover the sink/faucet. Pull the diamond wine rack part out and you have shelving.
It would make a nice little hutch/book shelve

Karrie said...

BAR-BIES! BAR-BIES!!! BAR-BIES!!
Love it! And your girls would, too!!!

You could do a wrapping station.
Pull the sink and you have a nice flat surface, with plenty of storage to hide all the necessities. And if you take the selves out of one side, I bet rolls of wrapping paper would stand up nicely in there.

Your sunroom is a GREAT space!!!
What a nifty problem to have.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

All these ideas are wonderful...I would definately use some of the shelving for a stereo/mp3 system of some sort. Or even have speakers installed in the ceilings so you can broadcast it over the living spaces while you run around from room to room.

Laura said...

I think I'd flip that couch so you are looking outside at the beautiful backyard!

Anonymous said...

Is this close to outside (I'm assuming that is where that door leads beside the sink)? Do you have a mudroom of any sort? It would be great for washing off the mud and grime before coming in the house on those fun play-outside-until-your-ears-are-stuffed-with-mud kind of days. You could keep small outside toys there like bubbles and chalk...perhaps put a cupboard underneath for sports balls and whatnot?

Anonymous said...

I'd put board games and craft materials BEHIND the doors. Those things never stay neat and it's useful to be able to hide them. Maybe I'd take shelves out of one side and store wrapping paper in there, but then again, I don't know what other storage options you have in your house. I'd take out the faucet and sink, and just put a new countertop in there (you could do it cheap with some plywood and tile remnants, or even Formica or a small piece of solid-surfacing. You don't have to remove the plumbing (you might want it there someday)you could just put a counter over it. What is behind that vent thingy? Is it open back there? I might be tempted to tear that out and put shelves below there. You know there's gotta be tons of unused space there, depending on if it's a bump-out or whatnot... don't like the wine thing, so I'd probably tear it out and put shelves in there. IMO, you can never have too many shelves...

Adelaine said...

I could see that area in general being a great place for your kids to hang out with their friends as they get older and want a little privacy. In the future, I think the shelves could hold DVD's to go with a nice flat screen tv somewhere in there. Maybe some snacks in the shelves too?

For now, I think that keeping the sink would be great to wash grimy little hands. Maybe the little wine thing could hold rolled up towels to be used in clean-up. I also thought of it holding rolled up magazines to be read while in the sunroom.

Love the colors in there!

Lori said...

i am in love with that rug...do tell where you got it?

emily freeman said...

Okay. I thought I was creative but wow. These ideas are so great, I'm not sure which to pick.

Lori - We bought the rug at Costco. I think it was around $95. Pretty great for a rug that size.

The Dragonfly said...

My parents had the same situation in their old house. They removed the sink (save for letter when it's time to sell, because wet bars are a selling point??? Why??).
Then they built a false top with a substantial piece of wood w/ really nice trim to prevent slipping and placed it on top. My mom had a lamp there and a really nice collection of my dad's vintage West Point memorablia. It was lovely! When they sold the house, they put the hideous sink back in and moved on, never missing the wet bar a bit! Good luck, I know you and the Nester will work this one up good.

Anonymous said...

hi, i am a kitchen designer. it is very easy to take the lattice part out of the wine rack. it is usually stapled in on site by the installer with brads. some companys install the lattice at the factory- if so still by brads. after you take the lattice out-put scrapbook paper ,wrapping paper or paint white inside cabinet. then you have an open shelf to display . i look at it this way- all cabinets are boxes,just depends what you want to store or display in the box. keep the lattice for next homeowner. i like the craft area for kids idea.

Unknown said...

rip everything out, box it in and make it a walk-in closet/storage area.
Media center, put components on the other side.
If this is going to be a playroom, puppet theater, of course!

Karen P said...

Hi - at our house it would probably become a coffee bar - b/c if we had that room that is definitely where we would drink our coffee.

Queen Bean said...

You could hang a picture big enought to fill the space...put in a tension rod and cover the space with a curtain...cut a board to fill the space and paint it with chalkboard paint or maybe fill the space up with a corkboard. Deana

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

First of all, I love your sunroom and admit that I am jealous you have it! Beautiful wall color! Could you maybe turn it into a built-in bookshelf? I am always looking for ways to add built-ins to my house, because they are so cozy-looking. Or you could take out the sink and just put a tile counter in and use it for serving hors d'oeuvres if you have guests out there, with or without the alcohol! :)
-Carrie
P.S. I just found you a few weeks ago and Love your blog!

Amy H said...

Okay I had to read to see if my idea was there...THis room is screaming for PLANTS! Live plants and this can be your place to sote pretty water cans and plant stuff like a pretty planting bench but in your house! That way you still have the sink but it has a pourpose maybe use the top rack to dry flowers and well use the cabnets for what ever you need to hide plant related or not. It is a sun room after all. I use my sink and fill it up with ice for parties and then you have to drain it, I do this with juice boxes for kids parties! You could always use it that way too!

Amy H said...

Okay I can't spell or maybe it is just my typing skills....
anyways can you tell me what the color is in that room it is very close to what I am looking for, for my bathroom!

Jill said...

I have some friends that turned their "wet bar" into a milk shake station!!! They have fun toppings and cute glasses for sundaes!!!! Love your blog...you & the Nester remind me of me & my sister...Aren't sister's great???

Unknown said...

When we moved into our house, we had a similar feature. The previous owners had a BEER KEG there. Yep. I put a countertop in and a sweet little lamp. We put our homeschool books, pencils, coloring books etc in the cabinet area.

Jami said...

I have a similar skinny cupboard and it is indeed our craft area. :)

So I'm going with that. You have very creative bloggies though, much more creative than I.

I LOVE the sunroom though....love it!! :)

My First Kitchen said...

I'd leave the sink there, too. Kid hand-washing, art/outside cleaning, and I like the idea of your kids being older hanging out in there. Having a little snack area could be fun, especially because the bedroom is attached. But hey, it's a sink. People, I love kitchens in every room. I trust your decorating skills even though you say you don't have any.

Amy said...

maybe some type of shelving or cabinetry where the sink is? also check my blog today for an award!

Anonymous said...

I love this room. Between the brick floor, the perfectly colored painted panel walls, white trim, lots of light, beautiful rug ... I could go on ... anyway ... I would take off the mirror, hang a picture of some kind, put doorso on the top cabinet to match the sides, add knobs for hardware, get a pretty tassel from your sister to dangle from a knob and store anything previously mentioned in it. It doesn't look terribly outdated to me. The faucet could easily be changed if the sink functions fine. I wouldn't dare remove it all together. The coffee bar is a great idea if you entertain and use this space.
A craft area another great idea if there's a craft table/area in the rooom.

Girly Stuff said...

Make it into a coffee bar for get-togethers, small group, etc. I would take out the mirror and sink and lattice...cut out a false top to fit the counter space...cover it with contact paper that looks like granite (or use real granite if price is right). Use shelf where lattice currently is for books you like to read while drinking coffee. Put small lamp on counter and use cord cover to hide coffee pot and lamp cords to outlet underneath or have an electrician move it up to where mirror currently is. Then hang cute coffee mugs where wine glasses currently go. Keep cabinets for storage. Use the scrapbook paper technique as backing for behind books. Paint inside of shelves a cool contrasting color (as well as the wall behind where coffepot would go).

Nancy Hood said...

what a great room! can't wait to read all the comments and then see what you choose!!

Lady Dorothy said...

I skimmed through the comments and saw someone had my idea! I've seen a milkshake bar in another house and thought it a great idea.

Just a "beverage area" would be great. A wet bar does not need to be for alcohol only. Where the wine storage is, you could put coffee cups, mugs, or expresso cups. Or juice glasses for breakfast served in the sunroom!

The cupboards could house all the stuff you would need for tea, coffee breaks, or snacks!

Add a blender for making smoothies!

Unknown said...

It's me again. I forgot to say that when I initially looked at the winey-thing photo, I thought it was a window with shutters and a curtain. So I got to thinking. You could remove the cabinet doors and put shutters on hinges instead (the luvered, loovered, leuvered however it's spelled) kind, painted a funky color. Then you tear out the lattice-thingy. Then you and Nester come up with a mistreatment that looks like an awning. Then you monogram the awning or put some fringe on it etc. Then you get a counter top and make it come out like a little bar. Then you got some cute little glass or plastic jars and fill them with oodles of goodies. Anything chocolate or sugary will do for starters. Then you make some cute little cafe' menus and put contact paper on them. And you call it your cafe' or bistro etc. Then you get some little pub style tables and chairs. I've seen them cheap at Target and Kmart. Paint them white or black if you need to. You'll be the envy of all of us

Kristin said...

I think I agree with everyone :) If the kids play in there a lot (which I think they do, right? maybe?) it would be a great place to store toys and things of that nature. If it's more of a place where you sit when you have company, then I would go with taking the doors off and putting pictures or something like that in there. Or, you could leave the doors on and store board games and things used when company is over in there. It's a beautiful room. I'm jealous :)

Anonymous said...

You should give me that cute rug, that's what you should do.

:)

Laura said...

Has anyone said chalkboard paint on those two side boards? That way if you turn it into a milkshake/coffee/food area, you could put "menu" items on the blackboard. It could be used for games too - something like Pictionary or Win, Lose, Draw. Two teams - two boards - perfect!

Robin said...

Oh my, Emily!!!
So MANY wonderful Ideas here, and I have to just add some of the same. If you are into plants, flowers and such, I would do up that area as a planting area...leave the sink or replace it with something more stylish. There is a NEAT faucet that looks like a an old water pump that would look great there, and then I would add clay pots on a few of the shelves, not to mention a basket trough with some antique hand garden tools, a pair of gloves, and so on. You do know about how to take liquid starch and fabric and wallpaper over that mirror, or do a NESTER and scrapbook it! One of those memo boards done with fabric batting and ribbon or braiding and tacks, and add some pics of family, seed packets, a posy....geez...it IS a SUNROOM, right? LOL!
Anyhoo...I didn't see any electrical outlet there, and from the looks of the vent underneath, this may be the only solution for now...but I love the ideas that many of the others have come up with! Can't wait to see what you do!

Jennifer P. said...

You could move that sink to the kitchen---seeing as how you just lost a few in there :)!

I have ideas but they would take FOREVER to type out here. Your sister is the Nester for goodness sake---you two can figure this out ;)!

Kitty Scraps said...

Love the ideas you've gotten so far, I would definitely keep the sink and either use it for kids craft clean up or beverage station.

Unknown said...

I see an entertainment center, more music than TV/video... those small shelves look just right for CDs?

ohio12 said...

I too, think you should take the sink and everything out and put in open shelving for books or kids stuff. You could hire the guy who did your laundry room/office!

lazy susie said...

Easy: arts and crafts corner.

You can store the supplies in the cabinets, which are totally perfect because little people can't get them out on their own and make a crazy mess.

You've got the sink for ease of cleanup. And the floor is some kind of bricky thing so that drips won't bother it.

Just put a craft table there, maybe an easel too. And string something along the wall to hang up finished work.

Maybe put paint in the winerack? I don't know. I'd probably get rid of it. I like to drink wine, but I think wine racks are ugly. Some people put rolled up magazines in them.

Don't forget to update us!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been 'lurking' for a few weeks now---ever since you guest posted on your sister's site. I just love your writing and really enjoy your blog

Beth said...

I would just rip just the "wine part" out and lean a beautiful mirror in that space...Arrange a few smaller silver picture frames in front of the mirror...a small vase of your fav. flower.

You might want to leave the little cabinets...Who doesn't need a little extra storage?

Darla said...

I'd store craft items, etc. The sink would be great for washing paint brushes, glue, glitter, play-doh instead of in the kitchen sink.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I have looked at so many houses that have these wet bar areas and I too am stumped by what to do with it! I am so glad people have posted for you, Im going to read through them and hopefully I can take some of their ideas if I have one in my new house!!

Of course, everyone that knows me, knows that I would take off the doors and put scrapbook paper in the back of the cabinets then use it for decorating! :)

I am Mom said...

Coffee Bar! If I remember right, your husband works with youth....so cool to have cool looking coffee mugs, espresso maker, coffee maker, ice blender, syrup flavor bottles. Thats what I would do ;) Gorgeous room - with many memories to come.

Angela said...

I'm thinking take the cabinet doors off and make those into bookshelves (although they'll be kinda deep). Then I'd take the sink, mirror, and wine rack out, put in another mirror that's the full length of the space, and put glass shelves in for display. Or if you don't want mirror, I know this gal who uses scrapbook paper behind her display shelves...

Shell in your Pocket said...

Okay...I know I have three kids but the moment I saw that picture...I was not thinking "kids or any of their stuff" but what a great shabby chic, toile, fringe, floral sitting room...smile! Love it!!!

Joy said...

If you plan on living in that house when your children are teenagers, you'll appreciate the little sink area. I would definitely tear out the lattice wine storage area. I would use the shelves for storing games, crafts, and snacks. I think I'd be temped to open up the wall below just big enough to put in a small fridge, since the cabinets are deeply set int the wall, a fridge might fit there to. Then the area becomes a snack bar. Believe me, when you have teenagers it's nice to have a room where they and their friends can feel comfortable---and everyone knows that food is very comforting! If you don't like looking at the sink then just do a famous nester mistreatment, floor to ceiling, to hide it when it's not in use.

Laura said...

If this room weren't so pretty and nice..... I'd think of it as the perfect craft/play room for the kids. Lots of natural light. Room for table, chairs, shelves, etc. You've already got the cupboards for supplies and a sink to wash up in or clean out paint brushes...

You'd probably want to move the couch out in favor of more mess-friendly furniture, though!

Can't wait to see what you do decide to do with the space!

jadell said...

here's my first thought. MIstreat it! :) Buy some pretty fabric for the roman shade, and equally as pretty fabric for a valance, and hide that ugly thing behind your mistreated "blinds". Others will think there's another window hiding there. :) JAT

Trixi said...

I love that space and since I am lacking a school room now that space would be perfect..... I know that's not what you were thinking.

Anonymous said...

I just love your sunroom....I with your sister....I would use the wetbar for family games....we have so many...card games, board games, paints, cars, little pet shop stuff, DVD's.....extra fabric to mistreat........gee.....I wish I had a wet bar to convert!!! Show us pictures once it is complete!!!! PLEASE

Pigsooie said...

I vote for ice cream sundae bar.
Your sunroom is beautiful. It's already better looking than anything in my house. Thank goodness I happened on to these blogs. Just might get a cute house after all.

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Hello.
I had a bar in our family room. I converted it to my craft center. I loved it. And, because you have a sink right there, it's perfect for washing paint off brushes.

Anonymous said...

I would kill for a space like that! With kids and dogs, I'd like a sink in every single room of my house.

I envision Saturday morning tea parties for little girls, a shelf full of play-doh for nurturing the creative side, water paints, cupcake decorating, starting seedlings for cut flowers . . . the possibilities are endless. But while the kids are small, I think it's a perfect spot for them to be a little messy because the sink is RIGHT THERE!!!!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

A quick fix: add little clips from the office supply store to the front of wine rack, and make it a photo clip "board" thingy. Or clip seed packets or fun quotes, or just hang a picture in front of the whole darn thing!

Ace said...

Me and the Nester think alike, I wish we mistreated alike but I hope to aspire to her level once I stop nursing.

Anyway, I saw "Libary" when I looked at that room. I also saw a small beverage bar with tea, coffe and cookies, perhapse apotocary jars filled with biscoti. Some nice mugs tucked into the diamonds and a litte refrigerator hidden with the cold stuff (perhapse some ice cream you are hiding from the children...not that I do that...all the time:)

Or, just rip that stuff out and put books...or cover it up with a book shelf with a backing that is covered in wraping paper (you know like your Sister does with the scrap book paper..)

Let us see it when your done :)

Many Blessings :)
Ace

paperjunk-lc said...

I saw a wet bar that had been turned into small office on a home tour once looked great. When it got messy you didn't have to look at the mess. We use our wet bar for a wet bar. I like the occasional cosmo and my daughter likes to play restaurant in it!

Kiki and Lele said...

vintage bottles from flea market finds... that is if you like to go to flea markets. i love them and i always find some of the most neat-o bottles, they would look fabulous in the bottle spots... that is all i have, hope it helps.

Rela Pantaleon said...

I'm a minimalist too, so...
- I would keep the side cabinets. They are great for keeping stuff out of view so as not to clutter the style
- I would get rid of the wine rack and maybe get a door for that area. More space to hide stuff.
- If the shape of door needed to cover the former wine rack is not standard and thus has to be custom-made (expensive), then maybe rip it out instead and extend the mirror higher.
- If you don't want the mirror, you can rip it out as well. You can just have a empty wall there which you can paint an inspiring saying or verse. OR decorate it like a scrapbook.
- As for the sink, if you have access to the garden, you might want that to remainl Maybe you just need to upgrade it. Check out this contemporarily-designed faucet: Price Pfister Parisa 4 In. Single-Handle Lavatory Faucet

Blog said...

So what did you do? It has been months so I am sure you did something right? I am curious what color is that paint? I love it!