Monday, August 18, 2008

she's looking for a name

All your ideas from my last post have me wishing I had a wet bar in every room of my house. Thanks for all your input and creative advice. I'll update you when I decide which great idea I'm going to choose. For now, I have a lot on my mind, but not much to say. Nothing is wrong but things are not quite right, either.

I haven't named my house yet. I thought it would come quickly once we moved in. But just like those boxes in the garage, she is slow to open herself up to us. It is taking more time to know her than I thought it would. And it has me grumpy.

We have ground bees in our yard. I know they have to go. The problem is, I just finished reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I know all about the bees. And I feel so guilty for killing them.

I saw Mama Mia! in the theater and it was awesome. I had to grip my seat to keep from skipping down the dimly lit aisle with my hands waving in the air, singing "See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen!"

These thoughts may seem disconnected to you. And in many ways, they are. But in my head, they all run together like a tri-colored ball of play-doh: Grumpy. Guilty. Glee.

My dad always tells me I need to lighten up. That sounds nice...to be light. I know he is right, that it is possible to live life lightly. These days, though, the layers of my existence are coming to the surface through little things like bees and songs in movies.

I'm sorry if this doesn't makes sense. I'm sorry to be clouding up your sunny Monday with crazy chats that don't connect. I'll try to have more of a point next post. In the meantime, if you feel as though you've seen enough house photos on my blog to get a feel for the name of my house, let me know. This silent treatment she's been giving me is getting old.

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to see Mama Mia! (the movie) before Mama Mia! (the musical - live theater) comes here. Especially since I'm a volunteer at one of the performances. I'm very excited about this and want very much, already, to visit and/or move to Santorini, Greece. :)

Scrapper Mom said...

Oh Emily, I love all your post whether they make sense or not!

Melissa Stover said...

i love the secret life of bees.

just check out my list of baby names and see if any of them ring a bell. how about mabel? i'm having a tough time with names too right now.

sorry you're feeling down, or muddled. write it out. you don't have to publish.

Jennifer P. said...

I think she needs a great, strong, old-fashioned name---but not Grace---too common now-a-days. How about Prudence? or Gertrude? or Constance? or Avril? or Brondwyn? or Blythe?

And I will just read anything you want to type. It's all entertaining :)!

Me said...

Aww, I've been there. Hope things get straightened out soon for you.

How about Abigail Rose?

Megan O. said...

I feel like I can relate a lot to what you're saying without fully understanding what you're saying! :) I've been in and out of a season lately of feeling lost in my own thoughts. At several points I have wondered if I've lost my sense of humor because I can so easily get caught up in my deep thinking. That you said your dad tells you to "lighten up" struck a chord with me. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!

Sing4joy said...

I was going to say Mary. But then I saw Prudence. I like Prudence.

Caroline said...

Prudence makes me think of that little girl Prudence from the book "Once Upon a Potty". Maybe Clarice or Margaret or Melda (there's a sweet lady at my church named Melda), but that sort of makes me think of Melba Toast. Your posts are always so fun to read and the scattered nature of this one makes it fun because we didn't know where you were going to take it - it had a surprise element. Don't turn your back on your house, cause she might resort to harsher measures to get your attention back if you know what I mean ($$$)?

Kristen said...

I understand disconnected thoughts and disconnection with your home. I kinda feel that way myself. Good luck with the name game. Maybe something like Abigail or Marie?

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You can cloud up my Monday morning any day...or I guess just Mondays:)
I know the disconnected feel. I am gearing up to jump back into my "real" life in the next few days, and I am kicking and screaming all the way. My oldest had a great time at his first Core function last night. He came home volunteering that he had spent some time talking with your hubby.
I asked...what did you talk about - golf?"
"Yep."
Men...I wanted details...hee hee
It was definitely a mommy moment for me. I am way too young, to have a high schooler. Well not really, but you know what I am saying....

Karrie said...

I think your beautiful home looks like a Charlotte! Classic and elegant.

I think names say so much about people... AND HOUSES!!!

Oh and best of luck with the whole living life lighter thing. I've been trying for years to adopt that philosophy. But alsa... I am a worrier.

My First Kitchen said...

I don't know if this is one of those "don't ask me if I liked the movie right when the lights come up" things, and I don't want to dramatize anything that doesn't need dramatizing, but I'm sorry you're foggy and I love you. Maybe watching the SYTYCD DVD tonight will make you feel better. :) And my vote for your house's name is Felice. It means fortunate. And that, my friend, you are. Which you know already. So I don't need to remind you. But I just did.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I am totally with you. A year and half ago we attended this eductaional firldtrip about bees. How we need them for evcerything and the bees are dimishing..yada, yada..........well this year my yard is like one big bee hive. There are bees EVERYWHERE. My husband has been stung several times......my golden retriever is afraid to go outside (I think he was stung by some bees)....we had bees everywhere and I have not done anything since I was told they are going extinct in NY. (I think that was a lie OR maybe every bee in NY moved into my tiny yard)

Sorry about your house not giving up her name. Sometimes older mature ladies can be like that.

Too funny about the wanting to sing in the movie. I say...find a theater that is going to be empty..like an early morning showtime in a few weeks and go with a few friends and sing it up.
You only live once.

Mel said...

Aw, I know those types of days. Am sure you will come through it soon.

I loved your description in your profile...will be back soon.

Valarie Lea said...

I loved Mama Mia! I wanted to be in Greece on the dock singing that song! It was such a fun movie. :)

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

You are too funny. Especially the bee part. I know the name will come to you. Just live in it for a while and probably some really memorable event will occur and the name will pop out! I guess I should name my new house. It's an hacienda in Mexico. I don't know.

Samantha said...

Sunni is the name that came to my mind first. You have great windows and lots of sunlight. Are there any other attributes of your house that stand out to you? Maybe you're having trouble because your house seems all work at this point. We moved this summer and now the kids are in school I should be wrapping up the last of the unpacking and getting things organized. But I just look around me and see WORK and it makes me tired. So I'm not to the point of being able to name mine yet either. I do know I'm incredibly blessed to have this home with all of this space and I really want to be a good steward and make a wonderful retreat for my family. I'm just having trouble not feeling too overwhelmed to start... Uh oh...I've moved from encouraging to comiserating. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

How about Penelope? You can nickname her Penny.

Buffy said...

Your brain sounds like mine. In and out of focus. I did just have my sixth baby though. We named her Chloe Elizabeth. Classic but modern. We also have a Megan Emily, Madeline May, and Baylee Margaret. Any Help? I did like that post about Penelope and calling her Penny. That sounds like a good house name.

Christy said...

You posts are always great and well spoken. I appreciate your honesty.

I love how you have a name for your home. I have never thought about giving my house a name. I have no idea what I would give it. I like old silly names like Beatrice, Clementine (this one is pretty), or Henrietta.

I can't wait to hear what you come up with.

I'm with ya on dancing down the aisle with Mamma Mia. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel and it seems perfectly normal to me, yet unexplainable to anyone else. I think more people can relate with you than you know - women at least. I have no name for your home. Guess I haven't seen enough since I'm new here. Just wanted you to know I feel you. :)

Amy said...

1963, right? that's when your house was built. my vote is MARILYN!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

My Dear Blog Friend. Yes, it is a can·tan·ker·ous place to be. (hey, I dictionary.com spelled that word --- don't you like how it put those little dots in the middle?) Last week, I called it my 'insert me on a red dot' moment.

I'm all about transitional phases right now. Spent the last 7 years of my life raising the twins to have them off to school and dealing with peer stuff that I can't touch cuz I'm here and they are there. *sigh*

But, I'm getting better about it. And you will, my dear.

And Charlotte SCREAMED at me when I read that one typed above. I dunno, Em, but that one sounds Southern and polite and ... and, well a little old-fashioned, can·tan·ker·ous, and mid-transitional phase, too. Just like a woman. I mean house.

God Bless.
We love you. Write away, my dear. It's ALL good from this vantage.

off to figure out what these letters are - they squooshed 'em all together this time. I'll probably have to try to post this comment twice. At least.

Jennifer said...

Emily, even in your "stupor" you are honest and real which is helpful for the rest of us when we go through the same thing....

Naming your house... I'm sorry but that is SOOOO personal that I think you will have to wait on her to reveal it to you. I think suggestions from us may muddy the waters and not allow you to hear her properly.

Blessings,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Before you kill the bees you should call a local beekeeper and see if they are able or willing to come and remove the bees for you. It's free, the bees survive and the keeper gets s new swarm. Please call them, and if you cannot locate any in your area phone your local animal shelter/animal control. This is a popular avenue for bee removal that unfortunately not too many peple know about, plus it avoids all those nasty chemicals, especially with young children runnng around in the yard - not to mention oter animals both wild and domestic. Best of luck with the problem!

Samantha @ the Listener's post said...

I don't know - I think I'm a fan of Beatrix (or Beatrice - but the first one is like the author and I really like the movie "Miss Potter"). It just seems fitting with all the bees.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about names, before I read the comments...
I had the name Mabel in my head. Then skimmed the comments, and smiled, chickadee said Mabel too.
How funny!
Good luck in picking a name =)

Emily said...

I love your blog and since I am new to the blogging world, I have been too shy to post before now, but I think that you should name your house Mia! It is originally Hebrew and it means "mine". Some people also trace its roots back to mean "rebellion" - which my house is doing right now as well. I have a skunk living under my back deck.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I know how it can be to just be in a funk, almost like you're waiting for something to "give" before you can move on. In this case it is the name of your house, which will probably make you feel more settled and connected to it. I don't know why God made some of us like that, but I like the need that we have the need to have a relationship with our house. The name will come...I know it!
-Carrie

Anonymous said...

How about Gracie Jane.....or Dahlia? :-)

Girlie, all of us have those times where things just don't seem to fall into place. It's refreshing to see somebody be real about it instead of trying to pretend to be perfect all the time.

Knuckles,
Jill

K said...

Clara
Adele
Dorothy
Nora
Imogen
Matilda
Flora
Francesca

*hugs* remember to pray, Emily. Especially important when we just don't feel like praying.

Bambi said...

Emily~ I think the bees might be telling you something, so I have to go along with Christy and Samantha and say Bea/Beatrice may be the name of your new home!!!

Mommy said...

1. Are they bees or cicada killer wasps?

2. I know that ho-hum feelin' all too well. Nothing is wrong but nothing is right. My baby goes to Kindergarten tomorrow. I am ho-hum...

3. I'm thinking on a name...been thinking all day...it will come to me...maybe

4. I joined the mistreatment club today! Hooray!

Anonymous said...

Are you sure they are bees? Or ground hornets, AKA yellow jackets? Ground hornets are pretty easy to get rid of, assuming you know where both their front door and back door are. And even those aren't too difficult to find at dusk when they are returning home from a hard day of horneting.
Marty

Melissa said...

oooohhhh, i love Charlotte. Charlotte Rose. You know it could be Charlotte Rosemary, but then you just call her Charlotte Rose. ;) I love the guilty part. I feel the same way after I kill a spider...I just think of Charlotte. AAHHH - there it is again, that name! Maybe it's a sign.....! love you, friend.

Denise K. said...

Hi Emily!

I just wanted to stop by and say, "Hello!" and let you know that I have been following your blog, and your sister's, and apologize for not leaving comments when I visit the site! My mom has been ill, (stage 4 brain cancer) and I am an only child, so it has been a challenging time knowing she has been in the hospital while I am living in another state. :-(

Just wanted you to know I don't mean to be a "blog stalker"...I'm here, following your great posts, but just hadn't had time to comment with all going on.

Thanks for sharing your life, your ideas, and your fun humor with all of your readers, like me!

SMILES!!!
Denise Ü

Robin said...

How about we all HELP with finding a new name? I was thinking NEWBIE-Iknow... what a strange name! Given the hard time you are having with connecting, I thought it may help! Since it is a NEW home...and BEing it is not revealing itself, NEW-BEE....Oh boy...I need a hobby!
Cheer up, Em...You've got to remember to let it COME to YOU, not the other way around.

Love ALL your posts! I also act just like you are now, from time to time. I am sure MOST that reply here will agree, if they have not already said so!

Anonymous said...

A few names are popping up in my lil ole brain...

I love Rosalie for your home, but it needs a second name with a bit of sense. Martha and Jane and Maggie, or some form of these seems to want to be said as well. I liked what you said about there being some grumpiness - for some reason, I connect grumpiness with a bit of a no-nonsense, not especially fond of change personality. And yet, as another poster said, your home has a quiet grace as well. I feel as though your well-thought-out changes have finally allowed her classic good bones to show. So here's my last shot at this:

Adabelle (old-fashioned name seldom heard, but reminds me of the South)
Rosalie Jane
Maggie Rose
Martha Jane
Martha Rose
Rosabelle
Bella Rose
Bellerose (or Belle Rose)
Corabelle
Ida Jane
Cora Jane
Cora May

I love naming homes. (My cars have all had names as well...)

Blessings on you AND your lovely family and home,

Michelle

Karrie said...

Maybe "STELLA!!!!!"
:)

Moi said...

I have never considered naming my house - although I always name my car. My little Toyota is "Julie". I like the name "Bella" for a house. Great..Now I have to think of a name for my house!
I enjoyed your post even though it was "disconnected"....have I overused the ""s yet? We all get disconnected now and then, I totally feel ya. I decided to get the Mamma Mia soundtrack after I saw the movie so I can "perform" the musical each day on my way to work.

Anonymous said...

PeRhApS if you guys bought and paid for your own house you'd really have something

Anonymous said...

Emily,
Mairieweather Place?
Or how about Fair Acres?

I loved Mama Mia! Beware, Meryle Streep singing that song to her daughter made me cry like nothing has since Terms Of Endearment.
I asked you about my fireplace and you gave great counsel. Would you share your thoughts on my outdated cabinets? They are oak and I put nickel pulls on them, but they still have the brass hinges. HELP! I am diligent, though completely inexperienced with cabnetry. Thanks so much for your imput.
Take extra good care,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Tess

Anonymous said...

I like Blythe....It means happy/light - kind of what you are aiming for, right?

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

I, too, just finished the secret life of bees. I also read the mermaid chair. Right now, I'm reading 'When the heart waits.' It's Sue Monk Kidd's autobiographical spiritual journey. It is sooo resonating with me! Love reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Darla

J'Ollie Primitives said...

Ok, late as always, just catching up this afternoon....

Interesting! Never heard of a house having a name unless it was umm...."Lilac Cottage" or something.

Anyway, my grandmother's name popped right into my head. Vida. (life)If you need to use her full name (like when you must get your homes' attention)and use the whole name it would be Vida Verna Vance.

Grammie would be proud. :)

Hannah Grace said...

Lily or Bella. Also, I think you are great.