Saturday, May 03, 2008

prepare for the question mark

You know how when you were a kid and you said your own name 100 times in a row out loud and it started to sound really weird? And you wondered how in the world anyone could name their child that weird sounding name? But then you waited a few minutes and then said it out loud again it sounded normal?

That's kind of where I am with this blog.

I am honestly kind of weirded out that I have one. I've met several people lately with about 3 degrees of separation between us and they have said they read my blog (hi 3 degree away people!) which is great. And no big deal to me if you lurk. That's part of having a space on the internet as far as I'm concerned.

But it's kind of weird, isn't it? Right? I'm all Hi. I'm Emily. What's your name? And they're all Hi! I'm so-and-so and I really like your new house and the color in your kids room and my fingers are double-jointed too. And it's kind of fun. Until I realize Wow. I have nothing new to say to this person because they already know EVERYTHING ABOUT ME.

Okay. Maybe not everything. But you know what I mean? Is this weird? Or have I just said my name too many times in a row and I need to give it a bit and it will seem normal again? Does anyone else think this way? Am I asking the wrong audience?

26 comments:

Darla said...

You crack me up. You just keep bein you and we'll just keep being us and we'll all be juuusstt fine.

Emily, Emily, Emily
Darla, Darla, Darla

Anonymous said...

It's weird to me. I haven't met anyone in person yet who I don't know who reads my blog. )Poor sentence structure, Heidi.)

That is to say...I think I may be weirded out if a stranger recognized me and knew stuff about me. It is weird, but as you said, it's part of having real estate on the web.

Anonymous said...

I get it. I have to watch cause I think of all my blogger friends like my real life friends. We chat each day and even know what we are going to fix for dinner.I even weirded (is that a word ? )myself out the other day because I saw this guy at church and knew he belonged to one of my good blogger friends. I went up to him and made a total freak of myself. My family may not sit next to me this Sunday. But anyway... Now we get to meet in church tommorow for real . How cool is that! I just have to watch because I think everyone out there is safe and honest. On another note.. I have a great sister too. We are so blessed. Susie H.

Momma Mary said...

I haven't met anyone who has read my blog that I didn't already know either. I think it would weird me out just a little bit. Mostly because sometimes, I put things on my blog that I wouldn't tell a person I knew... But I agree with Darla... Keep being you, and we'll be us, and we'll all be fine. :-)

Chris said...

First, you probably are asking the wrong people. Secondly, I have told no one about my blog except my mom. Therefore, I haven't talked to anyone about it in person yet. And lastly, I literally started my own blog because I was so enlightened by things that people were saying on their blogs. I started to feel like a normal person when people (including and especially you) were showing how they are just like me. I'm not the only one who feeds my kids fishy crackers for dinner or who NEVER has matching socks on. Isn't that why we blog? We find connections in the semi-ambiguity of the blogging world. And we get to share ideas and insight to boot! I hope this helps--I struggled with blogging for a long time, but I'm glad I'm doing it. So...just stop saying your name for a minute, but DON'T stop blogging. :)

His Girl said...

I totally know what you mean. I feel so weird sometimes that I am 'a blogger'- I am almost embarrassed to tell others about it sometimes... like I have this dark secret "I tell people all about myself on the internet"

I wonder what it'll be the first time I run into a blogger that is purely an internet read!

but then again, I can't imagine NOT doing it.

Sissy said...

My mom knows I have a blog, but doesn't know the address. I have told a few friends about it, but only a few of them comment. I have no idea how man of them actually read it. The in-laws don't know about it, and I tell very few people at work. I think I am more comfortable with strangers reading about my life than the people I know. Would they think me whiny or shallow or silly for spilling my guts on the web? Who knows? The interesting thing about blogging is that most readers only know what YOU tell them. When the line blurs between readers/family/friends those people not only know what you tell them in person, but what you write on the blog. Usually I am the same person, but not always. I don't know..you tell me...am I the same in person and in print? I think YOU are the same. You have always been witty, intropective, creative and fun. Your blog is all those things as well.

I have rambled, and I don't think I helped.

Mommy said...

I'm with you. I am totally freaked out by it and that is why I do the no name/location thing. BUT...I think it is pretty cool (did I just date myself using that word) to have met some really incredible people through the blog world (like YOU). I hope you don't stop posting. Your blog is just toooo stinkin' cute to stop using it. Later.

martha said...

Thank you for your blog. I am a 49 year young grandmother in Wheaton, IL. Your posts inspire me, sometimes domestically, sometimes spiritually. I would be sad if you quit.

Now I'm not a lurker anymore!

Heather said...

Hey Emily...I'm probably one of those that freaked you out! I think it's cool that you know so much about each other...recently I became friends with someone at my church and we're MUCH closer b/c we keep up on each others blogs. Kinda wierd, but kinda nice.

emily freeman said...

oh...don't get me wrong Heather. It's really not PEOPLE that have freaked me out. I want people to read or else I wouldn't have it, you know? Its more the social interractions I have with people whom I don't know but who read. Its just strange to meet someone for the first time, yet they already know things about me and I know nothing about them. You know? Does this make sense?

And you guys are awesome, btw. I did totally ask the wrong audience and I'm SO GLAD :)

Melissa Stover said...

where did you meet your blog lurkers? that's wild. i am always totally freaked out when i find out a person i know in real life is reading my blog. isn't it weird that we think the people who read are blog aren't really real. well, sort of. i mean, i just think you're people i'll never meet or run into in walmart.

Heathahlee said...

Well, I've been meaning to head over here from your sister's site (that MY sister got me addic...interested in) for a while. I'm new to blogging, have only been doing it for less than a month. And I've told every stinkin' person I know to read it...I still don't know if they do. I do know that I just amuse myself way too much because I go back and read some of the posts and laugh my head off at myself...now, I have to ask you...Is THAT weird? : )

Heather said...

I get freaked out that people might get tired of me talking about myself all the time. Kind of like monopolizing a conversation. Sometimes I feel like I should do a post asking everyone else how they're doing and what's been going on in their lives...but then I just go read their blog and I know.

Cambre said...

I can relate perfectly. There is this girl in my town that I have met a few times in the past year or so. We have been wanting to get to know their family, but haven’t made the time. Then I bumped in to her blog…I have found her so interesting and delightful... and so easy to relate to. (I must mention that the week before, I stood next to her at a concert and wanted to chat, but the music was too loud and we weren't suppose to be talking anyway… I awkwardly stood next to her.) So the next time I saw her, I BLABBED with her as if we were old friends... I think I even slapped her on the knee as we giggled, oh me…I just acted as if she knew me...and she doesn’t. From then on I have felt simply like a looser and guilty that I know too much about her and she knew too little about me. I was talking about it yesterday with my mister and wondering if he thought I was crazy for thinking about it…he does.

I guess that some of us over think things. I’ve resided myself to the fact that I was just being me...harmless me. I am sure that my 'friend', like you, is just a highlight to someone else's regular day. Your humor and ease of writing the things we all sometimes think, just gives the rest of us a smile. Please keep blogging and consider yourself a blog star☺

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Well, I love your blog! Keep em coming!!!

On another note...I only WISH I could have people comment and check out my blog...LOL! I guess I'm not as cool as you. So don't feel like a freak...feel blessed and loved by many!

Sending blessings to you
Susan

Missy said...

Hi Emily - Another lurker here, forced out of lurky-dom! This is a timely post, as I am at the same spot with my blog right now. It IS strange to think that people that you will likely never meet know so much about your life, but I suppose it comes down to figuring out the reason why you are blogging. I began as a way to keep my family and friends up to date on my baby's progress, and then it evolved into a way to journal and keep my sanity, and THEN once my neighbors and friends started telling me that something I wrote made their day, I was HOOKED! Can't stop now! You are one of the people that made my day (or night, because I was usually reading your posts while my infant was up at 2am). It is reassuring to know that someone out there is experiencing some of the same things, even if you'll probably never meet. I believe that people (okay, lets be real...women) are so busy that we don't have enough time to form and nurture "real" face to face relationships at every point in our life, and this is where sharing through blogs is wonderful. Seriously, in your "I spy" post I was laughing and crying at the same time, b/c that is my entire house some days! Emily, I'm sure you have influenced many more people than you realize in a positive way. What seems mundane to you is probably the highlight of someone else's day!

Kimba said...

I get what you're saying. When you get to know someone new, you're usually on equal footing. You don't know them. They don't know you. And you go through the "getting to know you process" at a pace that is comfortable to both of you.

When the person you meet has been reading your blog, the balance is thrown off. They know much more about you than you do about them. You're thinking that they have all of these preconceived notions about you - and they probably do. It's just kind of weird.

I guess the upside is that if they're reading your blog, they feel some sort of connection to you. They're probably so glad to get to know you for real. And really, what you write about on your blog is just an itsy-bitsy bit of who you are.

Kim

Oh- and one word that quickly loses all meaning for me if I say it a bunch of times is gum.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

Yep. Totally meaningless now.

Tiffany said...

I think this whole "blogiverse" is fascinating.

Why is it in the short month that I have been blogging, I have met way more interesting people that I totally dig, when in real life most people drive me nuts?

I am thinking it may have something to do with the ability to edit?

Andrea said...

So far I have known everyone who regularly reads my blog - I think. I'm a teacher and one of my coworkers found out about my blog from another coworker. She mentioned it to me and told me she thought I was pretty funny. My first thought was that it was a good thing I like her and didn't say anything bad about her on my blog. Yikes!

Here's the other thing, I started my blog specifically so friends and family could keep up with what's going on in our lives (plus a little vanity), so I wouldn't forget to tell them stuff and they could see pictures of the kids when they weren't around. Now I feel like I tell them so much in my blog they don't feel like they need to chat with me because they already know what's going on. Now I feel out of the loop because no one in my family would take the time to blog. Silly, isn't it? But then someone just mentions how funny I am and I keep going.

I enjoy your blog and the Nester's. I think if we lived anywhere near each other we might be friends. :)

Jennifer said...

What a funny post. I just found your blog recently and love it. I am so new to all this... and it's weird, wonderfully weird. I love the ablilty to connect creatively. My husband is totally suspect. : )

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

You couldn't know how delightful I find you and Nesta!

oh, I am double joined too. LOL...

Bahama Shores Mama said...

You and your sister helped inspire me to start my own blog...today! I'm still hyperventillating over having my real life friends know too much and you go and give me strangers to be weirded out about :) THANKS!

Kristi said...

Yup, blogger world is weird... case in point, me leaving this comment! I have had people, whom I've never met IRL, minister to me, make me laugh, make me cry and make me cringe. It's kind of like people watching at the mall!

And with that, I am no longer a "lurker"!

angela | the painted house said...

I often tell my hubby that when I meet new people that I will just give them my blog address, tell them to read it for a week, and then decide if they want to be friends with me. I find it easier to be more ME online than face-to-face since I don't really know who is reading. Yes, I feel like a freak! I have often felt like I have nothing to talk about with people who read my blog...but I guess that's good! It give me a chance to listen to their story and keep my yapper shut.

I hope the move is going well!

Magistra Mommy said...

Emily,
Oooh...I know that feeling. I have some friends at church who read my blog and when we see each other it's not "Hi, how are you?" it's "Wow! I really like how you decorated your frugal living room, and I tried that recipe you posted yesterday, and..." Whoa.

Blogging is weird.

PS- When I was younger, I could bend my legs backwards and walk around on my hands. Yep. I was lots of fun at slumber parties. ;o)