Wednesday, May 21, 2008

introducing Little Debbie

Let me be clear: I am no dessert snob. I have friends who are dessert snobs and the idea of eating chocolate that comes in cellophane is nothing short of an oxymoron. When it comes to sweets, I'm pretty impartial. Not to say that I always like the sweets I eat...just that almost anything will do when the craving hits.

Enter Little Debbie.

Our relationship goes way back to high school when my girlfriends and I would go to the beach first week. You know, the first week of summer. Does everyone call this first week?

These girlfriends and I called ourselves HCAEB (pronounced ha-KAY-ub), which was BEACH spelled backwards. The oh-so-cool thing was that it was also our initials: Heather, Catherine, Alica, Emily, Brandy. Why we didn't just call ourselves "beach" I'll never know. Granted, beach is kind of lame. But compared to what we settled on, well...I guess that's just 9th grade.

We would go grocery shopping right when we got there (or maybe right before we left home?) which was a good thing because if not, we would have had to go the whole week without cool ranch doritos, cherry coke and several boxes of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. I don't know which one of us started the Swiss Cake Roll obsession, but start it did. Since then I have ventured out into the other things Little Debbie had to offer: the fancy cakes, the zebra cakes, the fudge round.
This was the snack of choice I wrote about yesterday. Several of you commented that you didn't know what a fudge round is. Does this look familiar? Do you not know about Little Debbie? Is she not a nationwide friend? Maybe you've heard of the fudge round's mom, the oatmeal cream pie?

Anyone up for a snack cake?

36 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

I can do a number on the peanut butter chocolate bars--you know, the ones with layers and layers of PB, wafers, and chocolate? oooo, man!

THE little Debbie gave the commencement address at my sister's college graduation. I was like "yeah, yeah, yeah, success and world at my fingertips, tell me more about layers and layers of PB, wafers, and chocolate..."

Love your cool 9th-grade lingo.

Anonymous said...

I have never had a fudge round, but OH, the Oatmeal Creme Pies....I heart them.

And I also still like Swiss Cake Rolls despite the fact that my s-i-l found a piece of flannel shirt rolled up in hers...

Caroline said...

swiss cake rolls baby! I would always unroll them, lick the icing off and savor their chocolaty goodness!

Heather said...

I'm a proud lover of oatmeal cream pies.

Anonymous said...

We are fudge round friendly at my house. I love them with a nice cold glass of milk. Little Debbie is always welcome at my house. :)

Momma Mary said...

OH, What says 9th grade girl club more than Cherry Coke, Cool Ranch Dorito's and Swiss Cake Rolls?

Nothing. Absolutely Nothing.

Swiss Cake Rolls must be eaten in the following manner: Eat all the chocolate. Unroll. Lick Icing. Eat cake.

Now I must add those to my grocery list!

Anonymous said...

Im a oatmeal cream kinda gal oh and a bannana cream pie and a jelly roll and a... ahhh man. Look what you went and did! Now Im gonna have to get in my car at 10:51 pm and get me some Little Debbie piece oh heaven. Too bad Im not preg. cause I could get my husband to do it! So much for fruit!=) Susie H.

Jennifer P. said...

Alrighty--I admit I'm a desert snob! I only eat imported chocolate and would never waste my caloric intake on Little Debbie. But I do get a nasty craving every now and then for those orange circus peanuts :).

I love all the changes going on in your house. It's looking so homey already! And I know open floor plans are great and all, but I prefer lots of rooms to hide toys in too! Can't wait to hear her name!

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

OMG you are making me cry(lol) I so want a fudge round now and they are so not here on the island. That is OK in about 17 days I will be back on the mainland gaining about 50lbs!

Sissy said...

Thanks for helping us out and posting those pics. I think my high school sold the oatmeal things and my favorite, the Star Crunch. I use capital letters to declare my love.

fortyb4forty said...

I don't think I am a dessert snob but I think they have a funny aftertaste. My husband and boys enjoy them.

Shannon said...

I have never heard of "first week". I went to a small private school with no caffeteria so my mom made our lunches everyday. I think for about 2 years I had a fudge round in my lunch everyday until I moved to something more hard core....like a hershey bar. Whenever we go on vacation she buys them. :) I love them!

The Gerster Family said...

Oh yum! I love fudge rounds...really, I love anything Little Debbie. I turn into a great big piggy when those come around.

kelly said...

i always love your posts, emily, but i have to give a shout out about your comments this time--i was cracking about the graduation speech and about the hidden morsel of flannel shirt!

the peanut butter chocolate wafer things are also a favorite of mine. charlie loves the different holiday cakes. i get him a box at the beginning of each holiday season (christmas trees, easter basket cakes, etc.)

and if you want to share the swiss cake roll goodness with your dinner guests, but you are afraid to be subject to their dessert snobbery, check out http://www.littledebbie.com/recipes/SwissRollKebabs.asp.

Anonymous said...

I like fudge rounds, but the best by far are the "Fancy Cakes." They're pink with white swirly icing...very fancy. They're kind of a poor girl's peti four (don't think I spelled that right). They are made into the holiday cakes around Christmas and they're called "Be My Valentine" in Jan/Feb. I'll go and buy a box of these every three or four months and eat the whole thing in a day. I think I'll have time for a Little Debbie run later.

Nan said...

A box of Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies just disappeared from our house...I at most of them, as it usually goes. AND...when I was in the 9th grade, I was part of the "NAMA Posse"...Nan, Amber, Mickie, Ashley. Shameful, I know.

Jaelou said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh my gosh. I love Little Debbie. Love it. The peanut butter things are called Nutty Bars, duh! They are the bomb. And Swiss Cake Rolls are classic. I agree with Sissy about the Star Crunch. If you have not had one, you must buy a box.

I heard you saw my sister yesterday! :)

Brian and Staci said...

Oh my! That was my dessert choice when I packed my lunch! Most times...I'd pack two, because one just wasn't gonna get it for me :) Haven't had them in YEARS! Maybe this Memorial Day weekend is calling for a little Fudge Round memories!

Kimba said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm...Little Debbie. She's quite the gal. I believe she is personally responsible for a few of the pounds I'd like to lose.

We go to the beach every summer with my husband's family (sisters, cousins, etc.). Our beach bag is always well stocked with Zebra Cakes. I can't eat them without thinking about the beach.

It's amazing how well they hold up in the hot sun. That outside coating doesn't melt! I think that tells me a little something about the ingredients.

Kristi said...

I have been reading your blog now for about a week, and have loved it!! But I just had to comment today on the one and only "Little Debbie". My husband is definitly in love w/ Little Debbie!! LOL
He HAS to have one every night w/ a glass of milk. If he ever thinks he's gaining a little weight, he'll stop the little debbie obsession for a week, lose 5 lbs., then start back w/ her the next week!!! I have also been a huge fan, my absolute favorite is the Swiss Cake Rolls!!! LOVE them, but I also love the fudge round...that's now added to the grocery list!! And for some reason, I LOVE their brownies??!! Most people cringe when I say that, but they just have this taste I love!
Cool-Ranch doritos, cherry coke, and little debbies were always a hit w/ our "girl clubs" as well!! Thanks for the great, funny post!!

Debbie said...

Oh Emily. Quit alkin bout me! I, of course, love Little Debbie's and like Sissy, my fave is the Star Crunch!

And is that Tobacco Toad in your house because I have a painter all lined up to come paint my whole house in TR, and I hope it looks that good.

Tonja said...

Oh my! I'm craving an Oatmeal Pie right now! Have you seen the big ones...yes they make them double sized, too. More to love. And since you are still just opening one wrapper, I think the calorie count is the same! We also love the Nutty Bars and my boys always loved the StarCrunch. Me...oatmeal pie..nothing finer!

emily freeman said...

Wow, you all are crazy for Little Debbie too :) And to the real Debbie...YES! It is Tobacco Road in the photo with the staircase as well as the photos from a few posts ago of the fireplace room. The photo with the kitchen table is Ivoire from Sherwin Williams. In case you were wonderin.

Tiffany said...

I love me some Little Debbie's... I love that your initials spelt BEACH... those are friendships meant to be!

I have such fond memories of the taking the beach bus with my friends. That is a time I look back on with such fondness. Back when I could eat Little Debbie's at will and not gain a pound....

Debbie said...

Thanks Emily for the 411 on the paint. I have seen Ivoire on the Blonde/Restrained Gold swatch. It was down to those two colors and Tobacco Road (not Toad like I typed in my earlier comment, duh.) and my 8 year old picked TR every time I put up a poster board of some other color next to it. So TR it is...your pics just validate that it is a mahvelous decision.

Heathahlee said...

I know it's late and I'm just now getting in on the Little Debbie discourse, but I had to put my two cent's in. I have three, yes, three favorites. And do you know why they are my favorites? Because you can eat each one of them in layers...Nutty Bars, Swiss Cake Rolls, and Zebra Cakes. MMMMmmmmm! Although I'm having to rethink the Swiss Cake Roll thing after reading the flannel shirt story.

Mrs. Jones said...

We are kindred spirits, girlfriend. I'm drinking a cherry coke as we speak, and there is a box of swiss rolls on my counter. My favorite snack!

~Heather

Mrs. Noonzie said...

If any of you have never experienced a fudge round, I beg you, go out and buy a box immediately! You won't be disappointed!

Side note- For some reason, when I was in 5th grade, it was cool to peel the chocolate coating off the swiss cake roll and eat it first. Then we ate the naked roll. If you could get the chocolate coating off in one big piece, then you were the cool kid at school that day.

Anonymous said...

i just polished off two of those!

Brian and Staci said...

Mrs. Noonzie....ME TOO! ME TOO!!! How funny! Thanks for taking me back!

The Birds Nest said...

Aaahhh!!! Swiss cake rolls. There was never a time when I was growing up that there weren't swiss cake rolls in my mom's home. Who could not know about Little Debbie??? I thought she was a household name... an EVERY household name!!!

John Deere Mom said...

Deb and I go way back! I could go on and on...Oatmeal Creme Pies? Check. Star Crunch? Oh yeah, baby. Zebra cakes? Hubby's favorite? Fudge Round? Yes, please. Nutty Bars? Oh, mama! Okay...I am foaming at the mouth. Must.Get.Little.Debbie.

Unknown said...

Okay, Swiss Cake Rolls were my dessert of choice my senior year of high school (1987). A box of those babies with endless cans of coke got me through finals more than once!

Amy Jo said...

mmmmm. Nutty Buddy's were my fav. back in high school. That was before I heard of "fat" and "calories". Somehow I can't bear the thought of a full days serving of fat in those 2 delish sticks. And honestly I used to eat them until I got sick to my stomach.

The layout of your blog is so pretty that I started clicking around, reading about the sister of the famous Nester. Love your site! I found myself agreeing with so many things you write...about mommy moments, and realizing that any night now might be the one I actually sleep through the night. We were married on the same date, and I'm a sign language interpreter too. I'll be checking back...

Tracey said...

I love me some Zebra cakes! I can't tell you how many times I put a box in my grocery cart and then put it back because I know I will eat the whole thing in less than 48 hours (and that's with restraint.)

THE Stephanie said...

Oooo.. you're making me hungry!!