Monday, May 26, 2008

pre-school pomp

They graduated from pre-school on Friday. There was pomp. There was circumstance. There were red caps and gowns. And me? I was easy to pick out of the audience: I was the mommy rolling her eyes.

Not because I don’t love my girls or have tons of pride in what they’ve done this year. More because they are four. And not only do I think caps and gowns should be reserved for graduation from high school, but my girls aren’t really moving on to something different yet, as they will be in pre-K next year at the same school. So we’ll do it all again…except this time their caps and gowns will be white. The big time.
Even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the whole thing, I still managed to push my way to the front row and pull out the zoom lens. One twin made it from the diploma to the sign language Jesus Loves Me. The other ended up in tears, quietly exiting the stage during I've Got A Smile In My Pocket. Can you guess which one? I figured no biggie. She’ll have another chance next year.

Then last night as I tucked them in, one of my girls snuggled close and asked, “Mommy, will you stay with me forever?” Instinctive response? Absolutely, baby. Which is, of course, what I said. But I know I can’t really promise forever. I can't promise that something won't happen to take me away. I can't promise health or safety. I can't promise forever.

Mostly, I just considered the progression of life. There will be a day when I can't be with her in the ways that I would like. A day when she won’t really want me to stay with her. She might even want me to go away. There will be a day when it just won't be appropriate to have mommy right there, by her side.

Like with these girls. I have known them since they were 11. And now, they are graduating from high school. Back then, they were awkward and shy, giggly and fragile. And now they are adults…women with kind hearts, real cars and nicely painted toenails. They have majors and boyfriends and plans. Lots of plans.

And they all have mommies. Mommies like me who never thought it would come to this. But something else all these girls have? They all have Jesus. I’d like to think, as one of their small group leaders, I played a small role in them getting to know Him better. What an honor if that’s true. Mostly, it's a relief.

Because their mommies can’t go with them on their first day of college. She won’t pack their lunch. She won’t get a call from their teacher b/c they are afraid to go to the bathroom. She won’t take them to Chick-fil-a after Calculus. But they have a Savior who delights in them and promises His presence with them. He can go with them. He will go with them. He will be with them forever.

That is the only reason why a sentimental mommy like me can rest. Because even though this graduation wasn't real, the day will come when it will be. And I think my job as a mommy is to depend on Jesus: to allow him to meet my needs so I can meet their needs. And as they grow, they will be learning to go to Him themselves. Because He alone is the only one who can promise them forever.

What a relief.

29 comments:

DairyQueen said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks these kind of things go over the top! Sometimes I want to kick myself for not being more sentimental. I think I'm doing 47 of our closest relatives a favor by homeschooling our girls and saving them from 28 performances a year!

I would LOVE to hear some of your small group ideas. I work with 3 girls, and our girls ministry leader is hoping to get more started.

Have a great holiday!

Kari said...

I'm sure it surprises no one that I tend to mock those sorts of graduations. It's good to know that won't change if I ever have kids. hehehe.

Mandy said...

Thank you, thank you. I really needed to hear those words and put them away in my heart for the times I can't be with my babies. I'm about to enroll my three year old in preschool for the first time and I hesitate because I won't be with her. It's not a control or protection thing, just something sentimental. Thank you, Emily.

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph is beautiful. Our oldest will travel to Europe next June ("Mom! I made Ensemble and we're going to Europe!") with her high school choir. Thank you for this reminder.

Brian and Staci said...

Wow! I'm sitting here covered in goosebumps! Well said Emily! I'm sure their mommies are thankful YOU were and are a part of their lives!

Sissy said...

I need my tissues...and my mommy.

Heathahlee said...

Friday night my sweet hubby and I sat in TCBY and I cried silent tears because a little boy came in with his red cap and gown on. I cried because I knew that my little boy had already passed that "milestone" and the time would absolutely fly past me to get to the "real" milestone in his life. I prayed that I would be the mother he needed to guide him in his young walk with Jesus. Now I'm crying again!

Anonymous said...

Amen! I struggle with "letting go" right now, and Anja is 9 mos.! But knowing that God is sovereign and Jesus loves her aids me in squelching my fears.

Jennifer P. said...

Such lovely thoughts. I know my first week of college I wrote my mom the longest letter just thanking her for everything she did for me--mostly cooking, dishes, and laundry. I know I want to be there for my boys forever too, and that it won't, and shouldn't, always be so. But I take comfort in the fact that they WILL always need me---just in different ways.

It looks like you shared a special blong with all those girls. I'm sure they'll remember you forever, just like I remember and appreciate all my church youth leaders (even though I made some of them cry.... :) ).

Hope you have a great holiday!

Jennifer P. said...

Hmmmm...I wonder what a blong is? That was suppose to be BOND! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words. I cannot promise my children forever, but Praise God, He can! I needed the reminder that I am not to be everything to my children, I am a teacher to them so that they may lean on an everlasting God. Thanks Emily!!

Heather said...

I'm the schmuk that bawls her eyes out at the preschool graduation. My kids are doomed.

This was such a beautiful post. It made me cry, but not as hard as when I'm at preschool graduation. It takes a daily recommitment to God when I turn my girls over to His will. Super scary, but I know He will walk with them forever.

Anonymous said...

Very touching. Thank you for that post. My oldest will be a senior this coming school year. I often feared the day when I could no longer walk by his side. I have been with him from birth, first tooth, nightmares,and when he excepted Jesus into his heart. I know he will never be alone. I will just miss him dearly. Enjoy those years cause you just cant get them back. snif snif, Susie H

Kimba said...

As I was reading the first couple of paragraphs of your post, I was all set to write about how these types of premature celebrations and honors drive me a little nuts. How they dilute the honor and importance when the actual event happens.

But now I'm just sitting here thinking about how thankful I am that we have a God who loves our children even more than we do. His love is perfect and He truly will be with them forever...in a way that we simply can't. It makes me long all the more for the day when I can know for sure that my children have come to a saving faith in Jesus.

Thank you, Emily.

Kim

Laura said...

Beautiful! Thank you. This is so true and though I want to be with my little ones forever, knowing that our God WILL be is a wonderful comfort. Now, on to the teaching and training so they will know that too and they will learn to lean on Him...

Regina said...

I am with you. My husband bought my 3rd grader a yearbook the other day. If it had been up to me, he would have waited until middle school. That is when I got my first yearbook.

As for keeping the promise of forever to our children, I am most thankful that God is different from us. He is the only one I know who has the power to keep His every promise.

Romans 4:20-22 [Abraham] did not waver in unbelief at God's promises, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, because he was fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. Therefore, it was credited to him for righteousness. (HCSB)

Tamara said...

Your posting is just what my heart needed to read this week - I have been struggling this past week with a huge sense of fear over what will happen if something happens to me and I am not able to be there for my two girls... your message was perfect... thank you for sharing so boldly your faith on your blog site. It is a blessing! Tamara

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Beautifully eloquent, as always.
Thanks, Emily!

:)
Karin

Anonymous said...

What a great post! It made me look at my children differently this morning - thanks!

Anonymous said...

man, i needed this today!

and yes, i agree with the whole pre-k and k thing...it's a bit much!

Sally Pepper said...

We will have our own preschool pomp and circumstance tomorrow. My daughter is in the class and I am the teacher. I'm actually nervous about what I'll say -- does this make sense?? Actually, scratch that -- I'm not nervous anymore. I know God everything will happen exactly the way God wants it to...

Unknown said...

I was watching my 5 yr. old daughter sleep the other night and thinking many of these same things.

Sally Pepper said...

Sorry that last line made no sense -- it's late, I'm tired...what I meant was I know everything will happen exactly the way God wants it to...oh yeah, and it's only preschool! They're mostly excited about the donuts!!

Tonja said...

I am a preschool teacher...and I teach music to K-3,4,5. I am in charge of their spring musical/graduation. And, I do NOT like caps and gowns, either! They are still babies, for heaven's sake!
This was a beautiful post. I am fortunate to be able to teach in a Christian school, so I understand about having a small part of helping them learn about Jesus. I think when we work with children, we always feel a little owenership of their lives and upbringing.

Biteofpunkinpie said...

ohmygoodness. i thought i was the only one who did not delight in 4,5, and 14 year olds 'graduating'. so relieved to hear there's someone else! i completely agree about the 'cant always be there thing'. it frightens me.

THE Stephanie said...

Oh my! You typed the words right off of my fingers!! I mean seriously... preschool graduations?? I have my own attend next week.

BUT, you are very right to cherish all the little moments the Lord gives us. They grow up so fast.

Gretchen said...

A great reminder that even though I won't always be there for my children ... Jesus IS!
Thank you for those sweet words!

katylinvw said...

what a wonderful post! it warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes! thank you so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

This was beautifully, wonderfully, and wisely said. Thank you for sharing. Something this Mommy needed to hear. Even though we are a way's off from college, the thought of my babies all grown up and leaving the nest can bring me to tears. Resting in the reality that Christ goes with them where I cannot is truth that I will preach to myself over and over. Thank you! (Oh, I came by way of the Nester, by way of Like Merchant Ships! Love your site!)