We spent some good time outside today. This little one insists on wearing dresses. No matter the occasion. When she gets on her bike, she likes for it to flow behind her like this.
Then, while unpacking the playroom, the girls found these. Of mine. From...a long time ago.Look! It's Derek from Barbie and the Rockers. Not to be confused with Derek Shepard from Grey's Anatomy. Although they do bear a striking resemblance to one another. Notice the way Derek looks at Bee. He's always had a thing for her. And they were born with a mike in their hands.
For what it's worth, I just realized I have officially passed the age of my Barbies.
Enough about that. On to more house news. I'm finally beginning to think about that fireplace wall again. Remember the before?I asked you for help with this room and you sure did deliver. We had painted the walls and the mantle, as well as the doors to the built-ins. Many of you recommended we remove the doors and so today, that is what I've worked on.
It's harder than you might think, as those little screws are all painted over. But here you can see one side with, the other without. I put a little horse on the shelf just to try her out. I think I like them door-less.
In keeping with our theme, I have to mention that my dad helped my man assemble the girls' bunk beds this afternoon. I don't have a good photo of the beds, so here's one of my dad.He likes to make strange faces when he knows the camera is pointed his way.
Here's someone else who enjoys reacting to my camera as well as opening every single box in the playroom and trying on every piece of dress up clothing that comes out of them.Buzzzzzz.
Saturday, May 10, 2008
brought to you by the letter B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
29 comments:
ok...the bee looks like leia renslow and i have to admit-i'm not sure who it is! that facial expression really throws me off.
i'll keep you guessing :)
honestly it looks like you guys are having way too much fun! I think that unpacking will go faster than you think with the girls helping to unpack the boxes! how do they feel about those bunk beds? who's sleeping on the top?
Definitely leave the doors off. The fireplace looks great like that!
Happy Mother's Day! I hope you have a great day.
Love the fireplace without the doors! Enjoy the fixing up...isn't it fun?
Watching all the progress you're making lets me decorate vicariously through you! My vote? Love the doors off! The shelves look great! Keep those pictures coming!
I like the shelves...
Are you keeping the same beds for the girls(and just making them bunk) or getting new beds? Just curious.
hey there...
sending you happy Mother's Day wishes!!! :) ENJOY!!!
i love gracie. she is precious.
same beds. we bought them a year or so ago to bunk and then realized they were a bit young for that. But no more...
The cabinets look great without the doors! Light and airy. And those shelves will be a perfect spot to display some books or fun accessories. The after (or I guess, semi-after since I know you'll work some of your decorating magic as you unpack!) hardly even looks like the same room as the before! You've done a wonderful job of recreating that space!
Lookin' good door-less Emily.
I had a Barbie & the Rockers too! Did you have the hot pink cassette tape also? I played it in my black/pink/aqua new wave stereo/cassette player. I can still hear that song in my head! Anyway, I like the doorless built-ins too, they look great! Can't wait to see more pics of the house.
I definitely love the fireplace shelves with no doors, in case you were up all night desperate for my opinion!
I must say I was a little shocked to see that risque photo of Barb on your blog. What kind of place is this anyway where booblets are spilling out all willy-nilly? :)
Just like Barbie's shirt, less is best on those built-ins. Show those doors the door!
I am up waaaay too late and that picture of Barbie just put me over the edge...then Angela's post...HA!
Ahem...sorry...keep the doors off.
It is looking great. I enjoy seeing the new house. Now you need to find a Barbie Meridith for Barbie Derek. Then all will be right in Barbie world.
I love this. Especially the last picture.
This post is like a picture cornucopia. I LOVE IT!! So much to comment on.
We have a very similar bike that leans precariously to the left as well. Good stuff.
The Barbies are too fabulous. My make-up looked very similar in the 80's. I like how Derek is kind of looking over at Bee's rather low-cut spandex top.
I LOVE the after picture of your fireplace wall. I like the doors off much, much better.
Your dad looks like a very nice man and your bumble bee looks like a very sweet insect.
Emily, am I the only one that likes the doors on?? I think things stored on open shelving like that can end up looking cluttered. I think it looks tidier with them on. Having said that, the whole fireplace area looks great!
Doors off is more contemporary, doors on is more traditional...I like them both! It also depends whether you want the shelves for storage (doors on), or display (doors off). The colours you chose are just perfect.
My almost-3-year old niece insists on wearing "princess dresses" all the time too. Your little one is so cute riding a bike in a fancy dress.
I'm with Angela. Put some clothes on that hussy of a Barbie!
--Laura, picking seaweed out of my hair in flood-ravaged Delaware
hah! I LOVE how you think your dad is a perfectly suitable substitute for a bunk-bed. :)
Enjoying reading your blog.
That Barbie and Ken made me laugh! Do you remember Jem and the Holigrams? That Barbie's hair and make up remind me of good old Jem!
So glad everyone is settling into their new home so well!
Your blog is a great place to visit! Funny, insightful, creative, beautiful pictures, on and on and on. Thanks for sharing you!
oh no - I LOVED the doors! They were so Jonathan Adler! :-(
http://www.jonathanadler.com/shop/index.php
I hope you'll reconsider - they were very very hip, unusual, and were unexpected.
(I did post a little comment on your April thread about adding some tile to the fireplace surround - I think it would work some magic.)
You could take out the shelves as well, and stack the holes full of fire wood... nicely of course! Or just remove the bottom shelf, have the wood on the bottom, and use the top shelf full of books perfect for cozy hearth reading.
barbie & the rockers! wow, look how she glistens! i actually don't think i had a "rocker," but i had a "jem" from "jem and the holograms." she was equally as gorgeous, but quite a bit larger than barbie...kind of an amazon:-)
Hey how funny! I had/have all the Barbie and the Rockers! I never took them out of the boxes except for Barbie and one other...can't remember who though!
Post a Comment