Monday, May 05, 2008

moving eve

The Polly's are packed and ready to go. The bikes are in the back of my car. The diapers and wipes are in a safe, easy-to-access basket. I have brain-farted my way through this entire day. But it is finally almost over and tomorrow, I get to watch people that aren't me carry all my heavy furniture while I drink coffee and send my kids to preschool. Or something like that.

Farewell, sweet Sophie Marie. Be kind to your new owners. Feel free to reveal to them all of your quirks and creeks that make you you...but don't go blabbin' about how seldom I did the dishes. Or about how many dirty clothes we could fit on the laundry room floor. See, aren't you gonna miss us?

We will certainly miss you.

19 comments:

Brian and Staci said...

Beautiful tribute to Sophie Marie. Your new house is probably chatting to all her neighbors tonight about how excited she is about her new sweet family and how they've already "lifted" her in so many ways! Good luck---can't wait to hear all about it! Prayers to you!

Wilson Ramblings said...

As Brooke White sings "let it be", I must say that I get sad thinking about no more small group inside the warm inviting walls of Sophie Marie. That's where Nathan had his first sleep over, and his first photo shoot. Oh well, I'll let it be... for now... until we crash your new house! :) That's my tribute to Sophie Marie. I'm sure today was a day racked with emotion, and I'm sure tomorrow will prove the same, but you've made good memories in Sophie Marie, and have an archive of blog posts to prove it. On to a new chapter! Do you need me to bring you a vanilla latte, 2 splenda packets, and a stir stick in the morning? Call my cell, and I'll be there!

Mommy said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Happy moving!

Megan O. said...

Hope you get one last night of good sleep in the almost "old house". Can't wait to read about all the great memories you'll be making in the new house!

kari and kijsa said...

Good luck with the move- so many memories to be made, fresh ideas to form, inspirations to happen! Have a blessed day!!

Smiles,
kari & kijsa

Heather said...

Emily, I must insist that you give me fair warning that you'll be posting about Sophie Marie before I go reading about her. With this song and this post...seriously, girl. It's only 6:43 in the morning and I'm bawling my eyes out!!

Just think of all the new adventures she'll have with her new family and can we please name the new house? I need your new house to have a name too. Unless, I missed that post somewhere.

The Nester said...

It's today now, I didn't catch this last night. I am SOOOO thrilled and excited for you! It's such a happy, fun day but also a tidge sad to leave such a workhorse of a home! She served you well and I bet that family that gets her next is on pins and needles just waiting to love on her!

You did good, sister!

Cambre said...

Sending good thoughts your way! May your day be productive, peaceful...if that is possible, and full of fun memories.

I am curious, did you get your cup of coffee as others busily carried your stuff around? I am thinking of Franck in father of the bride...is that you today?

Lauren and Justin said...

what an exciting time! the offer for entertaining your kids still stands if you need it :)

Shannon said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see pics of your new rooms. I just posted about my guest bath and painted it Svelte Sage. :)

Jennifer P. said...

Before you know it you'll be loving your new place every bit as much as the old one. And your kids are still tiny enough to make all kinds of fun new memories in the new place. It will probably be the only place they remember.

Courage and love to you! Embrace your new adventure!

John Deere Mom said...

I have to ask...did you cry writing this post?

Anonymous said...

Have so much fun in the new place, but treasure the memories.

Debbie said...

Ok so I'm reading this post wondering how in the heck I am hearing Brooke from Idol over the Carrie Underwood song still playing in the background from my blog. What's happening I scream. Oh. Emily has Brooke. Sheesh. I paused my music, now I'm all better. Well I guess tomorrow is today...I hope your move went well!

Treasured Anew said...

Um Emily? "brain-farted"? That is really an interesting adjective. You are so creative, you could write an entirely new english language! I will have to remember that - thanks for the new lingo! Hang in there kid, it's gonna be great! God bless. Beth

kelly said...

i'm sure she will miss you too. enjoy settling into your new home!

Melissa said...

far thee well, miss sophie marie.

i'll miss the places i always plopped down, my regular spots to watch gilmore girls previously taped, or season premiers or finales, Bible studies, or just to have real talks with my coffee. thanks for all you've given to me. i'll be sure to wave, and maybe even beep when i drive by!

Magistra Mommy said...

Emily,
It's good to know I am not the only one who feels emotional about a home, yes, that's right...not house...a home. I'm sure there are many people who would gladly pack up boxes and move to the next McHouse out there, but not you. And maybe that's just one of the many reasons I think you're so cool. :o)

Tiffany said...

I love reading your blog.... just for posts like this. I have moved 5 times in the past 7 years...it's never easy to love a house back to life and then leave it.

But, I am looking forward to the adventure of your new home!