Wednesday, May 14, 2008

looking for Stonehenge

A few years ago while working as a sign language interpreter at a local high school, I became friends with a math teacher whose name was Amanda. She was from England and had this spectacular accent that prompted students and teachers alike to constantly ask her to speak for us. She got a lot of Have you ever met the Queen? and Is Prince William as big a deal over there as he is over here? and stuff like that.

Sissy from Painting Love was Amanda's roommate, as we all worked at this high school together. When Amanda moved back to England, Sissy went to visit. And one of the things on their agenda was to visit Stonehenge, as Sissy had never been. Neither had Amanda.

I remember thinking What? You live in England and you've never been to Stonehenge? And it was strange to me that someone would live so close to something so cool and never go.

I unpacked my china today. It was wrapped in newspaper dating back to May of 2005. It has been boxed up since then. As I opened it, I thought about this post written by my sister a few days ago. So today, I unpacked it and threw away the box.

Because as strange as it is to me to live in England and not see Stonehenge, it is even worse to have nice china and keep it in a box. I know there are tons of other things like this that are right at my fingertips but I forget to notice them. Forget to enjoy them. I want to decide to notice, to purpose to look for the little stonehenges not yet visited that exist for me in my everyday life.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful analogy. Thank you.

Melissa Stover said...

love that.
i don't even have fine china. i have safeway dishes.

Sissy said...

She took me to Stonehenge, but she drew the line at taking me to the Diana memorial. Said that was WAY too touristy. I took her to Disney and MGM, so I think that would have made us even, right?

I miss working with you, Em.

I finally pulled my china out this christmas and made my paper plate in-laws eat on my fancy Mikasa Parchment china. It's now or never people! Don't want to be like Monica with her china.

Chris said...

I couldn't agree more. I have a Venetian tablecloth I bought in Italy 6 years ago (!!), and I've never used it. After your post, I am THIS close... :)

Crystal said...

I feel the same way. I refuse to save things for "good" whatever that means...isn't it all good? Isn't every day worth a celebration? I think so and I hope you do too!

Sing4joy said...

Lovely post. Good point. I don't have fine china. I DO however, have Christmas dishes. Look out family! It's Christmas in MAY!

Anonymous said...

There is a line in "The Color Purple" that says "I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color puple and don't notice it" According to the author the line simply means that God gave you all these wonderful things to appreciate and when you are to busy to appreciate his blessings it surely bothers him. The long and short of it is that I have something purple in every room of the house and when I see these items it helps me to remember to stop and look around at the things I have been blessed with.

Kimba said...

I was so glad to see your post today. I was going through Emily withdrawal. ;-)

And I definitely agree with you. I have a bunch of very pretty necklaces that I keep in my jewelry box. Most of them were gifts and I always saved them for special "dress up" occasions. With two little ones those occasions are few and far between. Just recently I started wearing them for everyday and I get real pleasure from wearing them rather than looking at them in the jewelry box.

Kim

Jaelou said...

Ooooo love the china! Enjoy it!

Heathahlee said...

I see my pretty china in my china cabinet that belonged to my Mimmie, but I never use it. My kiddo is going home with Momma next weekend...I think I'll be breaking out the china for hubby and me! Oh, and I live near Graceland (not that THAT compares to Stonehenge!)and had never been until my friends from Australia wanted to go. I still don't know what the big deal is! :)

Brian and Staci said...

Sad but true. Why DO we "save" things for special occasions?? Let Emily's post be a liberation to all! Bring out the China and crystal stemware! (And let your dirty little boys wear their nice little clothes to school and get paint on them and not stress out either :) FANTASTIC POST!

Sissy said...

Just thought I would let you know, that you inspired me to post some pics from when we went to Prom, Emily! I dug them out after reading this! I posted one of Amanda too.

The Nester said...

now you've got me wondering what my stonehenge is.

Leanne said...

I don't have china. But now, after reading your post, I wish I did....I'm so inspired to not be so uptight!! I want my house to be a home...

I love your blog. Your posts are on my favorites list!!

Come visit me sometime...

http://mysupplications.blogspot.com

Leanne in Longview

Melissa said...

i have a couple sets of fancy china, one from my mom and dad that's really pretty and old, and one from a yard sale for $5 for the whole set!!! of course, even though i only paid $5 for it, i still only use it for "good" dinners! which means about once a month or so. or when all the other ones are dirty.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This could really be anything. How it spoke to me was to not miss the beauty in the everyday with my family. In the kiss I get from my filthy 2 year olds beautiful mouth or the way my 8 children sit around the living room sharing funny stories with eachother and just laughing together. I have been inspired anew to notice all my little stonehenges and the joy that they each bring to my life...oh, yea, and to let them know how special they are.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Completely UNrelated comment - know you're an Office fan!@

AAAaack!

Great episode :)

Hope your unpacking is going well!

Blessings from the Midwest (crazy, isn't it??),
The Roost'er

Heather said...

I've lived in Colorado for 23 years and never been to...wait for it...Pike's Peak. Yep. Nope. Never been.

I purposely didn't register for China because I knew I'd never use it. I also don't ever use my nice crystal vases. I need to be better about taking them out and filling them with flowers.

carissa... brown eyed fox said...

here here! we should & deserve to use our best everyday!

great post... i have battled with this over the years myself. i would buy a special top or a fun dress AND it would just hang in my closet for the right time... WELL my word... as a SAHM... those chances are RARE! Wear it... use it now!

happy friday to you!
BTW... your home is beautiful... you're doing an awesome job!

Kimba said...

Emily - I know you're an Office fan. Have you watched it yet? I nearly peed my pants watching last night's episode. I've been walking around all day saying "Yoduuuuuuuuh!!!

Jennifer P. said...

My mom left me her china when she passed away, and it's still at her house. This has inspired me to go pick it up and USE it!

Mandy said...

Okay, so this is completely unrelated to this post, but as it was the most recent I figured my comment had the best shot of getting to you. I was washing the side of my house today and she whispered to me! I am so excited and I just had to tell you. She introduced herself for the first time in three years and simply told me her name, Sadie. But it was all I needed for right now.

emily freeman said...

Yay! That is so awesome...Sadie. What a nice name for a house. Does she have a middle name yet? Keep us posted :)

Anonymous said...

Oh gee, I'm pretty embarrassed about my previous post. I was having one of those melancholy mommy moments. For some reason I was moved in a different way than you were intending when I read your post. I think I'll go get out my grandma's old quilts now.

Thanks for not laughing at me...publicly.