Some of you may have noticed that I had a birthday yesterday. Last year, I turned 30. I dreaded it while I was 29. Then, when the actual day came, I realized I kind of liked 30. Granted, there was that ginormous surprise party thrown on my behalf. That helped. But I also realized, as the days and weeks passed, that I finally sort of felt like a grown up. And I liked that.
This year has been different. I am sick, for one thing. And we are moving, for another. This one kind of crept upon me from behind while I was packing boxes and blowing my nose, tapped me on the shoulder and in a slightly annoyed voice said, "Hey. You're 31 now."
It seems like once you finally feel grown up, you should get to stop having birthdays. But they just keep coming. One after the other. Every single year. It isn't as fun as it used to be.
One thing that did come from this birthday was a visit from The Nester. She has a name, which I won't reveal, of course. It's funny though...The Nester has kind of grown on me. I call her that a lot now when we're together, especially when we're talking house. And we talk house a lot. She helped me pick this out.That one is in our dining room. She thanked me for letting her help me pick out light fixtures, stating it was the most fun she's had all week. Or was it all month? The walls are svelte sage, for those of you who may wonder. We have six nights left until we move to the new old house. I think I'm ready. I still haven't shown you the kitchen. I inherited some nice cabinets that I wouldn't have chosen if it had been up to me. But we couldn't replace them. So we've done some other things to make it ours. I look forward to posting about that.
But first I have to go pack up my current kitchen. And count the days 'til my next birthday. Or not.
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
31
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Happy belated, Emily!
And well-picked fixture. I like it a lot.
What are you looking forward to about 31?
Happy Birthday, Emily! I don't think it's so much the age as it is how you FEEL around the time you turn that age. You have a lot on your plate right now, but embrace that you made it another year. If nothing else revel in the fact that you bought a beautiful new chandelier!! Woo hoo! ;) Chris
Happy birthday and get well.... The house sounds like its turning into a home. Have you named her yet? I have the same color in my kitchen, svelte sage. I bought it from Sherwin Williams and I love it. It is the only color that has lasted longer than a year. It's been on my wall for about 31/2 yrs. Thats a record for my house, hehe. I copied from you two and painted Tobacco Road in my foyer. I just went out and bought it without a clue. I had full faith in yall and I love it too! Thanks and take care of yourself with that cold, Susie H
Happy Birthday! I'm just a little bit behind you. Love the new chandelier too. Still waiting on that oyster bay post. :-)
Oh happy birthday, Emily!! I loved being 31...we won't talk about 35. I love your new light. It looks beautiful with your svelte sage. That's fun to say...svelte sage. Kind of a tongue twister. I hope you feel better soon. It's hard to keep bending over to put things in boxes with a stuffy nose.
emily, i meant to send a little birthday wish your way...your special day is one of the few that have actually stuck in my memory, so i thanked God for you yesterday:-) good luck with your move!
I was surprised how much I've loved my 30's as well. You hardly look a day over 26!
Your light fixture is stunning. Can't wait to finally see everything put together!
Happy Birthday!
(I love that ice cream)
Get well!
blessings,
Karla
HI Karla up there! Em, it was the most fun all month I'm pretty sure!!
It looks great and I'm dying to see anything else that's been done! You are working like a dirty dog at that house and I am very impressed with you! Did you notice that ice cream looks like they wrote the letter "G" with that blue icing they put in it? Yeah.
When I opened your blog, I thought today's post was going to be about that ice cream. We just had it for darlin's party, and I have been secretly eating the left overs for breakfast lunch and dinner...shh!!! I bought it b/c it was on sale that day. Is it new or and old favorite I never knew about?
Thanks for showing us the light fixture! I can't believe it is already hung...so lovely!! You move fast!
I hope you feel better soon! Can't wait for the kitchen reveal:)
Yeah for another picture. Since I've not seen it, I'm putting the pictures together in my head to create what I think is the house! It's kind of fun. I LOVE the light - the nester has good taste - not at all surprising though! :) I can't believe you're still sick - try to rest and drink lots of fluid, and chocolate!
It's funny, I wasn't bothered by 30 at all. I was 7 months pregnant at the time...lots of exciting things going on ya know, to distract from the BIG 3-0! Crazy thing is...I've ALWAYS wanted to turn 35! Don't know why...guess it just always sounded "BIG", and since I'm the baby of 4 girls...I always wanted to be big! Now that I'm 36...I'm just thankful for every birthday I get to celebrate! Hope you are feeling better soon!
i can't wait to see your new old house....it will be beautiful. i mean you have been cultivating your style since those early CIU dorm days...don't forget they photographed it was so nice! minus the wizard of oz posters and all that pink flowery crap i had....
Happy Belated 31!
I'm there in December myself- I can totally get the sneaking up on you feeling. 30 did that to me. And then there was the whole "Wow- I've been alive for three whole decades" thing, too. Scary! :o)
Luv the light fixture. I've gotta go get Tobacco Road and Svelte Sage color cards for our next house- I just love it in yours! Can't wait to see the rest of your casa!
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Birthdays are always special and it sounds like the Nester made it so.
Can't wait to see what you did in the kitchen. I am sure everyone will love the BEFORE picture and see what strange taste the previous owners had (yes, I brag, I have been IN the house!) I'm sure that it all came together nicely, and I will look forward to seeing it in person.
BTW, if you need help with packing or anything, you know where to find me.
happy, happy day!
I call my cousin judi "sing 4 joy" all the time. haha.
great fixture
Happy Birthday. I'm turning 31 in a couple weeks too. I'm not so sure how I feel about it. I look at all the young mom's at my church that hang out together that I don't really fit in with anymore cause now I have three and the oldest is almost 7, and think that was just me not so long ago. (That was a really long sentence)
I love your new light fixture. I love chandeliers with little shades.
Hey Emily-
Happy Birthday!! What a way to spend it--moving and sick. It's not my birthday but I'm moving and sick too. We're at the black trash bag stage, how about you? :) I just keep trying to tell myself this will all be worth it in a couple more weeks.
Can't wait to see what else you've done to the house, it's looking amazing!
Post a Comment