Wednesday, October 29, 2008

even the darkness is not dark to You

Most days, I conduct my business under the illusion of control. I make decisions about what to make for dinner and where to send my kids to school and how to juggle my time. For the most part, the days pass in a predictable pattern and there is an underlying sense that I have things under control.

On Monday, my family and I had a nice dinner together. The eighth day. My day of rest. We left the restaurant and loaded up the kids into our car. The Man was teasing me about buying coats for looks rather than warmth. I was teasing him for having 12 fleece pullovers. We laughed as we entered the busy intersection.

And then, another car ran a red light and our safe, warm, family car spun out of control.

Out of control. The illusion was shattered.

A scream escaped without my permission.

Our kids began to cry.

I stared into the distance, confused as to why the view through the windshield was of the restaurant we had just left rather than the opposite side of the street as it should have been. Things were not as they should be.

I heard the familiar sound of my own voice speaking with a calm that didn't reach my heart as I unsuccessfully attempted to convince our girls everything was okay.

Later, we watched as our car was towed away, and I considered the vulnerability of humanity. How, one moment you are laughing with the love of your life - lighthearted, safe, normal. And in the midst of those happy sounds, your life is interrupted with an event that is totally beyond your control.

I am without a car today. I can't tell you how little I care about that. But I was awake until 3am, stricken with worry. About what could have been. It was as though my room was filled up with fear and I was taking it in with deep breaths, allowing the dark gray of uncertainty to swirl within me and settle deep inside. The what if was haunting, pulling against my attempts to trust. What if the other car had been going even faster? What if it had been bigger? What if one of my kids...? What if my husband...?

In the midst of the fear, I sensed the Lord reminding me to rest. I prayed for the anxiety to pass. It didn't. Not for a long time, anyway. So I waited. He waited with me.

He never promises that our families will be safe. Not in the way we think. He does promise His presence, though. And if you don't know Him, you may think that is a bad trade-off. There are times when that is how it feels. I want my children. I want my husband. Today, I have them all. But control? The idea that I actually have a hand in the way things will go? The veil has been lifted on that illusion.

I am learning more about what it means to have the presence of the Creator of the Universe with me wherever I go. It is important to know I'm not alone. Especially in those moments when my life and the lives of those I love are revealed to be vulnerable. My only option is to trust in the One who holds all things together, even when they fall apart.

90 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are all okay! I'm also glad that God is reminding and teaching you! Thanks for that post...it reminded me of some stuff too!

Trisha said...

I am thankful that you and your family are well. What a hard ending to such a nice day. You have such a way with words, they are beautifully written. It is such a nice reminder that the Lord is with us always. Sometimes when life seems easy to me I get scared and try to draw closer to the Lord, because I dont want a reminder call. They are too scary.

Unknown said...

Hi Emily. This is my first comment on your wall C:

I gasped as I began reading about your car spinning...i think i scared Taylor. I was so relieved as I read on and saw that you guys are OK. God is so good. Hope you are not too sore. Thanks for letting Anna and I sit in on your family dinner the other night. your family is so precious and so much fun to be with.

Have a lovely week!!

Lindsay

Jessica said...

I'm so glad no one was hurt. God definitely has his hand on you and your family!

taylor made said...

I love you Emily. Im glad you and your sweet family are safe.
and now I REALLY want to hug you.
so bad.

Amber said...

I'm glad that God's hand of protection was on you and that you and your family are safe! Though shaken. I definitely understand the feeling of utter loss of control after a car accident and how it shakes up your world. I'm praying that God's comfort & peace will overwhelm you this week!

Mommy said...

Oh EMILY! Thank the Lord you all are OK. I know what you mean about fear and worry. I am trying to turn over a new leaf and yet I find myself exactly where you were at 3AM... Stricken with fear and worry... I am so glad you all are safe.

Shilo said...

Praising God for His loving protection and tender care of your family!

Melissa Stover said...

so glad you are all ok!

Loreluca said...

Emily, I really am sorry to hear about your accident, but very glad you guys made it ok. What a horrible event to go through. And what a beautiful reflection to make. Thank you for helping us think about this, too.

Anonymous said...

So thankful you are okay and finding rest in the Lord!

Anonymous said...

What a scary event! I am so glad you are all okay and that God is using even scary things for His glory and your ultimate good.

I am Mom said...

your title is perfect - my husband often reminds me to believe my beliefs and doubt my doubts (worries)

Summer said...

I just read the most amazing devotion...
Check it out:
http://lemusingsofmoi.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-encouragement-for-anxiety-blues.html

Hugs...Summer

Just Lisa said...

I really connected to this post. I often have the same feelings of anxiety, and I need to trust that God will guide me through whatever comes. I am glad you and your family are ok!

Jocelyn said...

Again, a beautiful post. I'm so happy that you and yours are safe for now. I agree with your thoughts and appreciate that you shared them.
Reading your words makes me want to hug my children a little tighter and give them a pass on the little naughty things they might do today. Because they're just little and really not at all naughty. Thank you for giving me a moment to reflect on that truth.

Jennifer P. said...

Yesterday one of my friends from a town we use to live in struck a stalled truck. Her 15 year old was killed. Her 13 and 10 year olds are in serious condition. Her 8 and 5 year olds are ok. My friends face will never look the same again.

Who knows why.

I am hurt for her and happy for you at the same time.

I just await, impatiently sometimes---most times---the day that we can all just sit down happy and safe together and stop all this worrying.

Prayers going up for you Emily. Love you!

Hautemama said...

Oh wow. I'm so glad that you are all okay. Shaken up, but okay. Thank-you for sharing, your post is beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys are okay!
I haven't commented much on your blog - but am regularly blessed by it.

This one struck a cord.

I was hit by a semi truck that ran a red light in Feb... It hit the driver door - propelling my suburban 50 yards down the street (in a direction I wasn't going).

I was alone - without my kids (thank God!) or hubby... and walked out of the ER 2 hours later. I'm still recovering from injuries... but, I understand the many feelings and thoughts you expressed in your post.

Philippians 4:6-9 have been my stronghold... (paraphrased)
'Don't worry about anything... INSTEAD, be thankful - and ask of the Lord. Whatever is true, pure, lovely, worthy of praise and excellent - let your mind dwell on these things.'
And, check out this really cool promise that comes at the end of that section...
'And the PEACE of GOD will GUARD your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus'... 'This peace that the world cannot even understand...'

How COOL is that?!? And, I can say from my own experience - He's faithful to this promise :-)

Extra unexpected blessings to you and your precious family today!

Mom in High Heels said...

Bless your heart! I'm so glad you're all okay.

Shell in your Pocket said...

What a great post..such a good reminder! It only takes a moment for "life" to change...so glad you are okay...God is Good!
-sandy toes

Nan said...

I am so glad that you are ok and that you are clinging to the Lord with thanks for His protection, and control, over the accident. What a practical, even though so NOT what you wanted to go through, way for Him to remind you that He is the author!

Heather said...

oh my gosh...i'm glad you are ok!

Kristen said...

Wow. I'm so glad to hear that you are okay, Emily. Sometimes it's so hard to believe that His presence is enough, that He really is holding all things together--especially when all I want is the control. Thanks for reflecting and sharing your heart.

Amber said...

How true this post is. Life is so fragile. Our future known only by God. It can be overwhelming when we're faced with circumstances that remind us of how little control we really do have over our lives. Our lives hang there. Completely vulnerable. Mostly out of our control. I'm so thankful that I serve the Almighty God who does have COMPLETE control over all earthly and heavenly circumstances.

I'm glad that everyone is okay. Although scary, isn't it comforting to look back and see how the hand of God was over you and your family, protecting all of you? Take care!

Deidre said...

My goodness, I'm so glad you're all okay. How scary!

We are so vulnerable and if I sit and think about it long enough, my mind would go into a downward spiral. I have to choose to think about the ONE in control and pray He keeps us safe.

I loved reading this - beautiful words!

Caroline said...

I am so glad that no one was hurt. Its moments like those that give us back our perspective.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh my goodness...I wish I would have read this last night at midnight when the post hit. I am praising the Lord that this was a time of awakening, and a reminder of His control and power in our lives (even in those times when we think we have the wheel). I was walking downtown on Monday (it must have been around the same time as your accident), and I witnessed a very bad accident right in front of me. Then I looked down that intersection as I was standing there and saw another one that had just occurred. I was personally shaken and wasn't even involved. Life is a breath, and we want them to to be moments that take our breath away, don't we?

Christi said...

Oh, Emily! I am so thankful that none of you were hurt!

Wendy said...

I am so grateful that you and yours are safe and sound. God's blessings are great.

Emily said...

Praise the Lord that you and your family are safe, at home, and no injuries. Praise the Lord that cars can be repaired. Praise the Lord that He is in this situation! Praise the Lord! It's amazing how God works sometimes though...your previous blog about resting in Him....and then He's going to allow you an opportunity to truly rest and trust in Him. Praise the Lord for his grace and how He is always at work using circumstances to better us more like his Son!

Dawn said...

I am so thankful you and your family are okay. We had a very similar accident on New Year's Day of 2007. The "what ifs" were just as frightening as the actual accident.

Praising God with you for His protection and praying that the aftermath will be short-lived.

Denise K. said...

Oh what a scare!!!! I am so glad that your family is safe and that no one was injured...those experiences linger with you for awhile though and are hard to 'shake off' as you know what could have been. I am so happy that the Lord protected you all, and that you continue to feel His presence with you. Hang in there today, and I will remember you in my prayers today!

Mary said...

So glad you guys are ok. What a scary feeling--I had a wreck when I was in college that should have injured me or worse but I was fine. I remember that being a turning point spiritually--like, "Ok Lord I shouldn't be here and clearly You protected me...I'll start listening."

Twice as Nice said...

WOW. Thank God you are all alright. I had my new car less than a month when I was side swiped. I know the fear and the what ifs. I still jump whenever a car comes from the side of mine.

It gives us a bit of a wake up call that there isn't a promise that there will be a tomorrow. There is only so much control we can have and the rest we give to God.

Laura said...

Thank God you all are okay (and I'm sure you did, many times). Stephanie and Christian Nielsen's story is the perfect example of how one minute everything is fine, and the next your lives are changed forever. I'm glad you had a happy ending.

Kristen, pajama mama said...

this was beautifully written. thanks for it. I totally know the feeling of breathing in a room full of fear. And I'm still learning to choose to find God's presence amidst the fear.
-kristen

Racquel Simone said...

Thank God for His protection! Glad to hear that He kept you all.

Heather said...

I am so glad you all are ok! You are so right, we aren't in control but we often like to pretend that we are. Trust is often the hardest lesson to learn.

Anonymous said...

I never thought about applying the verse you referenced in the title to this kind of situation, but it fits so well. I am so glad you are all ok.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you and your family are okay. What an excellent post.

Bonita said...

Oh my goodness, Emily! What a horrific thing! I'm so glad that all of you are safe and sound, protected by God. You did a wonderful job conveying your thoughts and feelings. I've never had a wreck, but for the first time I understood what it's like through your post.

Carrie said...

I am so glad that the Lord kept your family from harm.

Momma Mary said...

Praise God that everyone is okay! It is scary how fast your world can be flipped upside down, and how wonderful the Lord can be.

:) Thanks for sharing. And again, Thanks be to God that everyone is safe.

Angela Fehr said...

I think sometimes the Lord arranges events just so we can be reminded that we are not in control. Just last week I realized that my current struggles are due to trusting MYSELF to make my life right, rather than trusting Him. I blogged about it, of course! http://hangingoutthewash.blogspot.com/2008/10/fixing-me-is-not-up-to-me.html

His Girl said...

sheesh girl, you totally just made me weep!

Glad you are all okay. WOW.

isn't our mortality shocking? it hits me every so often, usually after moments like this.

blessings to you this day.

Inspired Kara said...

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing. Often our blogs are happy places with cute home projects, but I'm so greatful when people get real.

I've been dealing with control for a long time. Idolizing control truly goes hand in hand with accuiring anxiety. When we grasp onto wanting to run everything we feel abandoned when we can't.

Right now I'm reading Calm my Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow and it is really helping.

Thank God you aren your family are ok. And, thank God for his eternal soveriegnty that gently reminds us that we are out of control, and there is more freedom in losing control than having it.

Kerri said...

Very well put. Glad your little family is all okay. These moments are real eye openers aren't they? I think they are Heavenly Fathers way of reminding us what we have and reminding us to hold it all a little closer. Thanks for sharing that with us all!

Star Forbis said...

Thank God you are all okay.
That was a Beautiful post.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Melissa Martin said...

So glad that you are all ok. Your post really made me stop and think about what's important to me.

The Busy Blaine's said...

So thankful that everyone is ok. Praise be to God!

Em said...

WOW... That is really an eye opener as to what is REALLY important in our lives... I have been stressing about getting thank you notes out for a birthday that was two months ago... petty compaired to the safety of my family. I need to clear my mind of these little things and focus on the "real" things... Thanks for your story and I am so happy you are okay :)

Miss G said...

Praise God for His Presence. I am so sorry that y'all were in the accident but I am so glad you were safe. Kelly

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

WOW! I am glad to hear that you all are ok-shaken up but otherwise ok. God was watching over you and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers.
((((((hugs to you)))))

anne said...

I'm so thankful you guys walked away!!!
My boys and I were in an accident while visiting family (8 hours from home!) without my husband. It was scary, but the Lord protected us.
It's amazing what we can learn from such a crazy situation... the Lord is good no matter.
HUGS.

Anonymous said...

This is very well written.
Isn't it amazing how those minutes right before are suddenly branded in your brain?
So glad to hear that you are all physically okay.
No one thinks as much about the emotional wreck that also happened.
Take care and rest some more - in His love and your family's love.

Aleta said...

Whew... Your post gave me chills.. I'm glad that you and your family are safe. You're right that in an instant things can change. I know too. Greg, my fiance, was in a head-on car accident in August. The world stopped for me then. Greg had some serious guardian angels looking after him and it took him a while to recover. I wrote about it on my blog:

http://fleurdealeta.blogspot.com/2008/08/counting-blessings.html

But I know what you mean... and it's a reminder to love the people that you love with more than you've given in the past, because you just .. never know...

Jami said...

Wow, Emily - Praise God you are safe. How scary. I can totally relate to how worry can invade our thoughts. Thank the Lord, He stays with us.."waits with us." I love how you said that.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

How frightening for a parent to have to go through something as scary as a car accident with your children in the car. How comforting to know that, whatever, the outcome, we are assured of His comfort and His shelter.

I am so thankful that you and your family are safe. It is, once again, a reminder that He is in control.

Heather said...

Oh, my heart is beating fast just reading your post!! I'm soooooo glad you all are okay.

Renee said...

Beautiful, true words. So glad you and your family are okay.

AJ said...

This is one of my worst fears! I am so happy you are all safe!! Hug your hubby and kids. Keep them close:)

Rachel said...

Emily, I am so glad that you and your family are alright! I'm sorry- I hate when people say that, I know that you're all still shaken up from the accident and that can be ten times harder than the actual impact. I was in an accident recently and I can sympathize with what you may be going through. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers! I don't know what I would do without one of my favorite bloggers!! Take care!
~Rachel

Anonymous said...

As I read your post, my heard stopped. I promise it did.
I'm so thankful the Lord kept you from harm.

P.S. You write beautifully.

Girly Stuff said...

Glad you guys are safe and sound. Glad you know God's presence. The knowledge of it is such a blessing. Get some sleep...He's obviously got your back!

Laura said...

Great reminder - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow. So glad you're all okay. What a beautiful reminder of God's promises and His presence. Very powerful.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Emily, I only say this because we know you're physically OK...

"Aren't you glad you have All State?"

I'm not endorsing any type of product on your blog, I'm just saying you lived that nightmare commercial where what happened to you plays out on the TV screens of millions of Americans and sends us (me at least) into a tailspin every time we see it...

Then that actor with a great voice who played the prez on 24 for two seasons (or 2 days, whatever) says in his really cool actor voice:

Aren't you glad you have God?

Because I couldn't imagine a night like you had without Him.

emily freeman said...

Seriously. I can't see that commercial without thinking "Well, thank you Mr. President." That actor is so presidential. And so tall.

Becki said...

Happy to hear that you are all okay (physically). I happened upon this quote and thought of your most recent post. "Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith." Author: Henry Ward Beecher
A reminder to us all that happiness (and mental well-being) is a choice that we make daily. When we wake up each morning we have the choice if we are going to be happy or not. Be happy!

Katy said...

Thank you for the post. I'm sorry you all had a wreck, I understand your scaredness. Thankfully you are ALL ok. Scarey scarey stuff, I have a lump in my throat. As a mom of 3 I completely understand the feeling of being out of control and wanting to just hold those babies in our loving arms and never let them go.
Hugs from me. *KB*

onlymehere said...

I am soooo very glad you're all okay. Two weeks ago our son totalled his car 100 miles from home. I had to hear about it through a phone call. He's 18 and still lives at home. I too have thought "what if" and have gratefully thanked my Heavenly Father that the "what if" wasn't the case. It is scary and brings us back to what matters most. It sounds like your car may have been damaged pretty heavily and once again, I'm grateful that no one was seriously hurt.

megs @ whadusay said...

Wow Emily, powerful stuff. So glad you and your family are okay.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I am so glad that no one in youf family was hurt. I am sorry that you had to experience that.

nat2377 said...

I have only been reading your blog for a short amount of time, but am so relieved that you and your family are well. My husband was in an accident about a year ago and it takes quite a while to shake that gun-shy feeling. Thankfully, God is watching over you and you can find comfort in your faith.

Judah said...

I am pretty new to your blog, but I feel I know you so well. I am so thankful you are all ok. Praying for you and your family as you heal emotionally from this.
cling to the peace you have in God. don't know how people go through this world without knowing him

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay, Emily!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Yeah, I think he'd make a GREAT president in real life! Well, except I have no idea what his political views are. Hmmm...maybe that's a plus.

*sigh*

Counting down til Tuesday...and still glad you're OK.

:)

Tracey said...

I wish I had a great scripture reference to throw out right now, but I don't.

I stand in awe of a God that puts us in situations to make us run to Him and a God that comforts us even in His silence.

I could so deeply relate to "I heard the familiar sound of my own voice speaking with a calm that didn't reach my heart..."

Blessings on you and your sweet family.

KatBouska said...

Wow. Goosebumps. Tears. All of my own worries and anxieties wrapped up in someone elses post.

Thank God you all are ok. I hope it wasn't too traumatizing for the kids...or for you.

Denise K. said...

Just checking in as I was feeling worried for you Emily. Hope everybody is OK now...sending lots of love and prayers for peace.

Dawn said...

after i read this, i sat stunned, and breathless. it has taken me a while to pull any thoughts together... but i have been praying for you. praying that the "what if" loop running through your head will end, and that only the thankfulness will remain. as the momma, our job is control... but you reminded me that it is indeed only an illusion! it also reminded me that i don't really care to carry the power that comes with being in control! and i am always so thankful for His presence in our lives. it keeps us going... so glad that your family is safe.

These Are The Days said...

I had a smiliar experience a few summers ago when a passing dump truck spun a very large rock through my front windshield. We were all OK but it was a miracle considering we found it by my foot next to the gas peddle. It took me several days and nights to stop the 'what ifs'. Though it was scary and could have been tragic, I'm grateful for His little reminders that life is precious.

I'm so glad you are OK and I hope you'll feel soon feel at ease.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Emily....

I had a moment like that with my son in the car a year or so ago, but we weren't hit--the car in front of us was and we watched it happen. I was shaken, thinking if only we had been seconds faster, it would've hit the passenger side where my son sat. And I thought "what if". A lot

Written beautifully and with perspective; and I know the Lord had intent in it for you and others. As you share your words, all of "us" are reminded to hold this life loosely, but to love fiercely!

My favorite line was your last: "My only option is to trust in the One who holds all things together, even when they fall apart."

So thankful you're all safe.

Nancy said...

Thank God you are all ok. Thank you for sharing your experience and your faith. I really needed to read what you wrote about faith today (It's been a tough day). What you wrote has really touched me and given me some strength I desperately need.
Thank you.
-Nancy

Melissa Lester said...

I'm thankful that you and your family escaped the accident unharmed, physically anyway. I was so delighted to discover a comment from you recently. I have visited here many times. I enjoy your insights and admire the way your words fall so effortlessly onto the page ... or the screen, I guess I should say. I hope you'll visit again soon, as you can be certain that I will be dropping by here again.

Sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunny said...

Having lost my brother and only sibling in a car accident when he was 14yrs old and myself 18yrs old, I can completely and totally identify with the fear that grips you upon realizing that you cannot control the things in your world. I can be thankful for this loss leading me to this realization though because it was what convinced me that I needed Christ for my eternal salvation and my temporary sanity. He carried me through it and he carries me today. I'm thankful you all are safe and sound
.

Halfpint said...

Praise God that y'all are all safe! Jesus loves you & your babies!

Ginny said...

I have often felt like that also. God does not promise that life will be perfect, but that He will walk with us through the hard times. I forget that sometimes. I feel anxious and fearful and it does not go away, but I know that the Lord is right there beside me waiting with me.
I am so glad you and your family are ok.
This morning my daughter was coming home from dropping her little girl at pre-school. She had the one year old and the two year old in the car. All of a sudden a huge buck with a full rack ran down a berm and in front of her car. She slammed the brakes and the the car spun in a circle. The deer missed her by a fraction of an inch. She was hysterical and crying when she called me from her cell phone. She came over and my husband and I tried to calm her by letting her know that God was with her and no one was hurt and that was a great thing. She said that she will never forget that feeling of helplessness at that precise moment. Just wanted to share.
ginny