Friday, October 03, 2008

cheap talk

I don't talk about politics here. But all the talking heads have got me thinking about the big picture. The thing about election season is that all the candidates have an idea of what they are gonna do. The problem with that is, it is easy to say what you would do if you were in charge. Sometimes things change when authority is actually given and you are the one responsible for all the consequences.

Decisions are rarely 100% one way or the other. Sometimes you have to work with a 49/51 balance. At least that's what my dad always tells me. It can be hard to justify that 2 in the face of 49 reasons not to.

When I was young and single, I said I would never go out in public without taking a shower, I would always have my hair fixed and I would never, under any circumstance, wear socks that did not match. I would be the mom who never let herself go. The one who cared what she looked like, no matter the cost.

That was back when I was still number one.
I agree that it is important to care about what we look like, to take pride in our appearance. I agree that political candidates have to talk about what they will change and how they will change it. It's one thing to say it, it's another thing to do it. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

28 comments:

Rosemary/sonrie said...

I really liked this post. I agree, talk is one thing and follow through is something completely different.

On a side note, I recently found your blog through google reader and I like it! Happy Friday!

Heathahlee said...

Amen, sister!

Moi said...

I agree with that. My Mom like to remind me (jokingly) of things I swore I would never do and then as I get older I do them.

good post!

Caroline said...

Yes girl. Preach it! My "I will never..." words and thoughts have come back to bit me in the booty...hard. I try to think long and hard before I say anything with the word never in it.

BTW, I'm totally in on Twilight opening night with you and Sissy. Totally. cowengilmore@yahoo.com

stefanie said...

Love this post. You've got my mind spinning in a thousand directions. The big picture is so overwhelming.

Anonymous said...

Yes. And cute socks.=)

Anonymous said...

You said what's been on my mind most of this campaign election season!

Jami said...

oh the things I said I would NEVER do... :)

Wilson Ramblings said...

AMEN

kristi_temple said...

I had someone come over to me in church and tell me that my hair looked great. She asked me what I had done to it since she'd seen me last. The only thing I could think of was that I had washed it. So sad. I wish I had more hours in my day.

No one ever keeps all of their promises. We'll just have to see what happens in January. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Beth said...

I have a question and I'm sorry if you don't answer them, but I thought I would at least try. Did you paint your cabinets black yourslelf or hire someone. Was it hard? Do you have to sand first? I'm sorry if this is annoying. I am often on your sister's blog too. I enjoy them both and thank you!
Beth

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh my...if you could have been a fly on our wall last night from 9:00 - 11:00...hee hee. It was certainly entertaining, and just so you know...during that time, we solved all the world's problems. :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Go To My Blog...I gave you something!
-Sandy Toes

S. P. - M.M. said...

cute post. I can say I had many black and white "blanket" statements, pre-kids. Now I can't find the white and black any where.

I look forward to your blog and thoughtful posts... good job!

Bonita said...

Great thoughts! I'm trying to stay away from politics on my blog too- for now anyway. What you said is so right on. Just because a person says something doesn't mean it will all pan out that way, particularly if that person has never had a particular responsibility such as president. How do you really know what you will and will not be able to do? How do you really know what that responsibility is like? Until you actually take the job and see what it really entails, promises are little more than hot air.

I was that way about motherhood. My house was going to be spotless. My children perfectly well behaved. I planned to have a house full of kids and, of course, I'd have all the energy for that and do it with ease. That was pre-kid days. None of that transpired once the first one came along. Things can look so easy when we're watching someone else do it, but when the loads on you it can be a different story, and usually is.

onlymehere said...

I agree 100% with this post! I also was never going to wear white ankle socks no matter what! LOL! It's a sign of how old I am I guess bz we wore knee socks that were colored and matched out outfits. I now wear white sock a lot and yes, they are ankle socks! Life changes our priorities a little sometimes but it should never change our ethics. If we say we're doing something we should do it. Sadly, it's not always that way in life especially in politics.

onlymehere said...

P.S. I never ever wear knee socks! :)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

so i love love love ur pic...but i do hate wearing socks. i don't know why i htought of that.


anyway, there's a little something for you over at my blog today. check it...ur gonna love it!

emily freeman said...

Beth - I did hire someone to paint them for me. He may have sanded them a bit, but he didn't strip them or anything. He used a tinted primer first and then painted the black on top. It took kind of a long time, as you can imagine. I say GO FOR IT!

Denise K. said...

Isn't it interesting all the promises politicians make, but I often wonder how many they really can accomplish, and at what price?

What an exciting election year it is though, and how wonderful that we have our first African American candidate, and our first woman vice presidential candidate!

What progress, and so neat for our children to see that they can indeed accomplish anything! Gender or race doesn't matter, just "the content of our character."

I am so proud to be an American, and hope our children will also grow with a sense of pride living in this wonderful country where we are free to vote, and live as we chose!

Enjoy your weekend Miss Emily! :-)

megs @ whadusay said...

I agree. And for some reason while reading this post and looking at your mismatching socks I thought about how fun it would be if we could hang out periodically in real life instead of just in bloggyland. :)

Mary said...

Well said. As usual.

Tracy P. said...

Hi Emily! I popped in for a little visit today and made myself at home (which wasn't hard at all, I tell you!). Your muffin-top...ha! No twins needed here, just back to back c-sections. Your teen girls...no, I was never that cute. They're adorable! And good for you letting the in-control-mom go in the hands of Jesus. Because seriously, when was I ever REALLY in control?

Anonymous said...

So right! :)

Beth said...

Thank you so much for answering my question about the kitchen painting. It will be a huge project. I'm thinkin about it! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. You and your sister are a huge inspiration to me in my home.
A grateful mother,
Beth

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Emily, have you seen the book "I Was a Great Mother Before I Had Kids"? (I think that's what it's called...) Your post reminds me of that book...AND your post reminds me of Angie Smith's response after a devastating ultrasound: My Jesus is the same now as He was when I walked in.

No matter the outcome in November.

Praise God.

*heart U* (and your wylie wisdom, as always...)

Amy said...

I so loved this!