Monday, October 20, 2008

why do you blog?

I'm back from my week of spontaneity and I look forward to telling you more about it. But first, I would love to hear from you!

In two sentences (one would be even better), I want to hear why you blog. If you can't narrow it down to one sentence, feel free to simply process in the comments section. I'm all about processing.

If you don't have your own blog, I would love to hear why you read the blogs you read. There is no right answer, of course. Just your highly valuable opinion. Now go!

136 comments:

My First Kitchen said...

First?!!!

My First Kitchen said...

YES. Did you notice I didn't actually answer your question, concerned that I might lose my top spot? I know. I'm a dork.

Why do I blog? I like connecting with people I'd otherwise never meet or speak to. And I like helping people get excited about cooking.

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Yay, spontaneous weekend!

Anonymous said...

I blog for the community--I didn't realize how incredibly welcoming and lovely it would be when I started blogging, but dang if it didn't suck me IN!

Amber said...

It's my mommy outlet. My little place of escape (even if the kids are crawling all over me while I type.)

Shell in your Pocket said...

I enjoy writing, sharing and being inspired by some amazing ladies. When I do a craft, decor...somewhere in my thoughts I think "I can't wait to share this with my blog friends!"
-Sandy toes

Kristen said...

Welcome back! I blog out of my love for writing...and to share how Jesus can take a broken, imperfect life (mine) and make it beautiful. Can't wait to hear about your Nashville fun.

Kimberly said...

I started blogging to keep up with the family (state to state)! All of us have one and it's an easy way to see the kids grow, tell funny stories, and keep in touch on a daily basis!

Heather said...

i blog to inspire myself to write again. it is starting to work...

Mary said...

Blogging gives you the chance to meet people and swap stories about how overwhelming kids/life can be. You feel less alone in your house during naptime!

Anonymous said...

To keep my family informed about my daughter (since we are military and live FAR from home). It is also time that I can spend on just me doing something I enjoy.

Wendy said...

Sharing creativity...mine and other's.

Anonymous said...

I don't blog. I just read. I recently moved and ya'll are my friends right now. Thanks for the stay at home Mommy encouragement the other day.
~K

LindaSonia said...

No blog - YET, but I enjoy reading blogs for the community and the tons of creative inspiration, and otherwise, that is so willingly shared. Love it. LindaSonia

Haley said...

To store memories.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ugh - blogger deleted my comment.; Trying again.
I just started reading blogs this summer when I had some free time and decided to start one as a means of journaling for my family (which they don't read) and a place to post ideas as a follow up when I speak. Now, it's become an outlet. I need to be careful though, in keeping m
bloglife" in perspective and making sure I am still grounded in real people I can touch...like you..hee hee.

jo said...

Two-fold. My blog is an online journal/scrapbook for long distance friends and family. Also, its an outlet for adult conversation.

Love to read other blogs about things that interest me. Gardening, cooking, home stuff, thriftiness. I find that it increases my confidence to try things myself.

Love your blog by the way.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

I WISH I had read your blog before Blissdom - I'm just now realizing how much we have in common and wish we could have hung out more. (SheSpeaks?? ha)

Anyway, I blog totally for fun -- relating in everyday stuff with my real-life friends and new friends I've met through blogging. If I get little perks through it (monetary or otherwise), that is totally a cherry on top.

Again, really fun to meet you! :)

Mommy said...

I blog for several reasons...

1) Our blog is an online journal to record our family memories...I want to remember these days 2) it is a creative outlet beyond the little people in my life 3) to keep family and friends in the loop 4) the opportunity to meet women outside my social circle who I find a connection (wink).

WOW--one sentence without much punctuation--that might be the longest run-on sentence ever. :-)

KKB said...

Decorating inspiration...

Cresta said...

I blog to keep my family and friends back home updated about our family.

Melody said...

How about one word? Socialization.

Laura said...

I love being creative, and this is another way to express it!

Caroline said...

Blogging is a creative outlet for me - a place to put my crazy thoughts into words and pictures.

Susan P. said...

I blog mainly for the connection, I think. I have been blessed beyond measure by the wonderful people I have met. It has also been a wonderful creative outlet for me.

Twice as Nice said...

Twin and I were long time stalkers before we decided to throw our hats in the ring. Everyone who blogs has a talent (some more noticeable than others) creative writing-cooking recipes-decorating tips-humor-kinship. It's addicting.

Reagan said...

It initially started as a means to record my children's lives but has become so much more. It is now a place for me to share insights as well as share my story so that others might be changed.

Racquel Simone said...

Keeps me motivated to stay in the loop regarding all things makeup & I love to encourage women about TRUE beauty.

Huskerbabe said...

I started to help my daughter keep up with our lives as she had just left for college. I kept it up because I enjoyed it. Mine is mostly read by family and friends.

Girly Stuff said...

To have an outlet all my own that isn't connected to my daytime jobs. I rediscovered myself...you know...that person from before kids and responsibility.

onlymehere said...

1. To record family/personal memories.
2. I blog as a personal outlet social and just to keep my sanity. My husband has a wicked schedule and goes to bed at about 5:00 or 6:00 at night so it was a way for me to still have adult interaction! I also love the ideas and inspiration the blogging community gives me! Cindy

Meagan said...

I was just asking myself this same question last night!

Mostly I blog to keep my family and close friends up to speed on what's happening in our little fam, but it's also a place for me to practice being more creative and to (hopefully) encourage anyone who reads it by sharing bits and pieces of my journey in life.

Unfortunately I am having major blogger's block lately...ugh! It's so frustrating! :)

Shelly said...

I don't have a blog... but, I love reading them, because...
I am able to get great ideas about decorating, cooking, photography and I love seeing that I am not the only one with toys and binkies all over the place... but it's OK - as your sister says, It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful... so, without blogs I wouldn't get to read clever little things like that, and so many others. Sorry, this is more than two sentences... but I really enjoy your blog Emily!
~Shelly in the Kansas City area

His Girl said...

I blog because I was created to take what I learn and teach it. Blogging is an outlet that gives a little respite to the poor people I know in real life who would otherwise have to hear me like this all.the.time.

ha!

kristi_temple said...

I blog to keep others up to date on what is happening inour family and sometimes to vent my frustrations.

Chasity said...

I blog in order to keep my friends and family close and to allow them to be part of our every day lives, even though they live far away. I am also very shy, and somehow I communicate much better with the written word than I ever would if I were to try to tell my stories verbally.

Jocelyn said...

I blog because I want to remember life when my kids were small.

Anonymous said...

I blog because I have an innate desire to connect with those around me and find new ways to interact, inform, assist, educate, humor, and learn from others.

daisyamy said...

So that I can write and get out what I feel like I need to tell someone and know that maybe someone's listening, unlike writing in a journal or whatever.

Nan said...

I started blogging to help my family stay up to date on our boys, but they never check it. I guess I blog as an outlet, maybe even to feel like someone out there cares enough to check in on us, even though my family doesn't. Pretty sad huh? By the way, driving home today and totally thought about why I was blogging!

Rosemary/sonrie said...

as a creative outlet; to share thoughts; to not be judged or critiqued, though family and friends do read; to communicate with like-minded people all of the world - quite mind-boggling, actually.

Lysa TerKeurst said...

There are some days I blog to stay in touch with people.

Other days I blog because when the peeps I live with drive me to the brink of insanity, blogging helps me process these things in a more Biblical or humorous fashion.

And I've discovered lots of us visit the brink and when we live to tell about it, we blog.

Can you tell I'm having a brink day?

Inspired Kara said...

I blog to be inspired and inspire others.

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Emily,

This is my first visit to your blog...nice to meet you!

I blog to keep my creative juices flowing, to reflect and share God's love and truth in a relevant way. The comments feel like a conversation to me - it's wonderful to chat with my girlfriends!

Rachel Spence said...

I blog as a way of keeping friends and family up on what is going on with us. Also, I enjoy "meeting" new people and definitely use it as an outlet from the day to day madness. Well I also enjoy writing too! Oops 3 sentences---now 4--haha.... =)

Laura said...

I blog because it is MY thing to do. When your life revolves around taking care of kids, hubby and home sometimes you need a creative outlet to "talk" to other people. Okay that was two sentences, I tried, no I didn't. oh well.

Laura :)

Denise K. said...

I love blogging because it keeps us connected to our of town relatives and friends, and it serves as an easy way to update our loved ones on my mom's cancer journey.

Anonymous said...

I just started blogging last week. I am hoping it will motivate me to become debtfree.

Chris said...

I blog to be a part of a community--a tight knit circle of women (and men?) who believe in family, home, and life like I do. Blogging is my source for inspiration and validation.

Anonymous said...

I started out reading blogs and enjoyed them so much I began my own. Originally my desire was to minister to other ladies what the Lord had taught me and to improve my writing skills, I also enjoy the blogging community, the connections to others out there.

Julie said...

Great question! I blog so when my life in there on the screen for all to see, it becomes completely clear to me how blessed and amazing my little life of raising kids really is!

kimberly said...

blog: i like the writing, and sharing my stories...it helps me remember things:P

read blogs: I love reading, and i dont have time to read novels anymore, so I get to read everyone's "short stories", and they are real!!!

Anonymous said...

I read blogs to surround myself with other Christ-centered Moms who remind me of my main mission field in this lifetime: my family!

blessed-with-3

The Garcias said...

I have many wonderful friends and family who live far and wide, and I blog to keep in touch, or rather, to give them a glimpse into our lives. When they know what is currently sitting on top of my dining table, we feel not so far away. And that is lovely--Ah, the beauty of technology!

Anonymous said...

More than anything, it's therapy for me with all I have going on, and it's been so fun to connect with other like-minded (and not so like-minded...) people from all over.

Anonymous said...

I blog because I hope that people who like me will be able to keep up with my life from far away. I also blog because it feels good to put my thoughts/feelings into writing.

Shannon said...

The only reason I blog is to connect with other people who like similar things that I do and basically just for the fun of it.

Dawn said...

i began blogging because it was a way to share my everyday life with a friend who i lost touch with. i keep blogging because these thoughts keep coming and i need somewhere special to put them.

(your blog makes me smile!)

Courtney said...

i blog to:
1)process what's going on in my head
2)to chronicle life with my kids (i make a book out of it each year)
3) so that my kids will know who their mom WAS when i'm gone

joyfullness said...

Emily...
Blogging is like looking through my favorite magazines..with all the glorious pictures and shortest stories...but ..i have become friends with many other bloggers that i may have never met..we still haven't for real..but i love them all the same...
and..it's the safe way for me to be spontaneous!!
Joyfully His,
Joyfullness

K :) said...

I started blogging so my family in other areas could catch up on our every day life. Then it rolled into being a journal where I could chronicle my thoughts.

Aubrey said...

To escape.
And capture the memories my little ones make.

Anonymous said...

I don't blog. I read other blogs as an escape. I'm an antique mommy with two special needs children. My friends don't have little ones anymore and I don't connect with them the way I used to. You all motivate and inspire me to be a better me.

Anonymous said...

I love to share my life with the world.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

(sorry...I tried to reply to you in an email and, didn't work)

No no no - I didn't go to SheSpeaks - I meant maybe hanging out at the next one!

Hyperactive Lu said...

First, gotta say, love, love, love your blog!

Second, I started blogging a year ago to get out frustrations of my day to day life as a working mother. I found friends through the blogs and a really neat support system through really bad days. Then, once I became a stay-at-home mom, blogging was a way for me to chronicle my children's lives. Its been a diary of sorts. If you wanna know me, read my blog, because its real, honest and brutal!!

Valley Girl said...

here's the deal...at the ripe old age of 31 I am still trying to figure myself out. i am a sign language interpreter, will have a masters degree in social work in may, a mother of two, a christian, a woman, a wife, a daughter ect. i am trying to figure out how all that fits together. if i put it all down in front of me, on say a blog, i don't have to carry it around in my head all day. the added bonus to this medium is the feed back from others experiencing the same issues, just with a different set of circumstances around them.

Kim P said...

To keep in touch with friends and family.

Anonymous said...

I just started blogging and I mostly blog because of YOU! Or people like you :o) All of those wonderfully creative people out there that don't mind sharing their ideas and insights.

Becki said...

I left a comment but don't know how to let you know my blog address (duh!) so it is creatingcomfort.blogspot.com. How is that for technically challenged?

Eve said...

I READ blogs because I like to see that I'm not the only one in the world who experiences the craziness of life.

I BLOG because it allows me to take my friends with me wherever I go and allows for me to make new friends - even when I'm living in an area where gals are a rarity.

Anonymous said...

I like the discipline of writing regularly and because writing in this medium helps me process, since I have to be very intentional about what details and information are and aren't included.

But I also regularly think about quitting. I can't decide if it's worth how insignificant it makes me feel.

(It's possible that I will regret this comment.)

the undomesticated wife said...

Making friends, sharing ideas, steeling ideas :), journaling important happenings...

Suz said...

Love your blog. I blog for several reasons...
1. A way to journal the ordinary days with our family
2. To be able to post pics of the kids so other family members can enjoy them.
3. Just a little hobby, mommy outlet

Happy Blogging

Heathahlee said...

1) Why I blog: to put down those random thoughts that I'd like to tell someone but I can't for the life of me find anyone who will listen to that much chatter!

2) Why I read blogs: I LOVE getting ideas from lots of sources: magazines, books, and now, blogs. Whether it's a decorating tip or a pensive thought about the Father, I love learning new things to apply to my life.

Julie said...

I blog for the memories.

Katy said...

It allows me to have some adult conversations and I've really enjoyed writing.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I blog to keep my family and friends tuned into what I'm doing in Northern Ontario, Canada. They all live in the States so blogging has made it easier to connect them with my daily days.

Anonymous said...

I blog to to be a part of a community that I can learn from, lean on, and give back to.

Great to meet you at BlissDom, Emily!

Star Forbis said...

To mentor, and to grow.

To write, and to read.

Lady Dorothy said...

I started blogging because I wanted a place to journal my thoughts and my days and I read blogs because of the creative inspiration, motivation, and how-to. Blogging, in general, has now become a very addictive hobby -- but one that actually does me good!

Melissa Stover said...

oh because it's so much fun to finally have my writing read by someone other than me!

J'Ollie Primitives said...

I blog because I want to share an occasional witty gem with somebody who gets the joke.

Seriously? Because I missed writing letters home. I lived far away from my family for many years and letters to and from was a habit. I now live close to my family again but I kind of missed writing.

I love the blogging community, an even better reason to blog!

Just Lisa said...

I blog so I can have an outlet for my innermost thoughts and feelings.

And because I'm hoping someone will read my stuff and be so imressed with my writing that they'll offer me book deal.

Still waiting for that one.

Shannon @ Silver Trappings said...

I love the inspiration I get from all the talented women out there, and I hope that I can give a little inspiration to someone else.

Shannon

tigerchick said...

I don't have a blog but love to read them. I like: good grammar and spelling, pictures, recipes, decorating inspiration, tips for frugal living and shopping, spirituality, tips for housekeeping. And I could go on....
Melanie

Sissy said...

I blog because I am going through a hard time and needed a place to vent that wouldn't involve co-workers, church folks or family. Strangers are a unique comfort.

Tamra said...

I blog to share my life in Australia with my family in America.

I read blogs to be inspired by christian women--wives and moms--and for the great craft inspiration.

The Nester said...

you are up to 87 comments.

I think you hit a nerve.

||| laura frantz ||| said...

two words: creative outlet

Dani said...

I needed a place to vent after losing my son without hurting anybodies feeling or making them feel like that had to fix it for me. It can be very theraputic.

I am Mom said...

I blog to make a history book for my family through "blurb.com"

It makes me journal a bit and have photos plus some random stuff about our times.

I go to blogs for ideas and inspiration and love blogs that remind me about what is important in life

Esther said...

It's like scrapbooking by recording memories but faster, and I don't have to get all my papers and things out.
It's like reading decorating magazines for inspiration but I get a new one every day.
I'm naturally shy and a little reserved and it's my other self coming through and being a bit of an exhibitionist. I actually think I'm pretty good and want everyone else to know it too :D

Judah said...

I started blogging as a way for family to connect and see our girls grow. Now its a mixture, family updates, thoughts on how God is working in my life, trying out new recipes,a way to process stuff

Karen P said...

No blog of my own, but I am a blogaholic. I started reading those of people I know and then moved on to people I didn't (although it always feels like I know them, but they don't me - awkward). I read to laugh, cry, take a break, feel connected, get ideas, share ideas, so on and so on. I feel like this is something I actually do for me and I can just be.

Whitney Hannam said...

Blogging is like medicine to my soul. It's a release from the mundane and a showcase of the pizazz! Who would have ever thought people (mainly women) would have gone so crazy over the blog phenomenon????

Miss G said...

1) a way to process my own life and see all the blessings and realize what a cool life i have
2) it's a "scrapbook" that people actually look at!
3) to communicate with others who are interested in my wedding projects, etc.
4) a special way of sharing my life with my grandma who I live away from


As a bride to be during the engagement time I started reading lots of bride blogs for ideas and to share perspective and that special time in life with others in the same place. They're the blogs I read with the most non-Christian authors as many of the other blogs I read are by Christian women/men. I pray that as I comment on theirs and we form "blog relationships" that God will use some of my words as a ministry to them.

Kelly

Valley Girl said...

I know...so what got you into the wonderful world of interpreting? I would ask if you still do any interpreting...but you have three kiddos, twins to boot. I'm gonna guess three full time jobs are enough right now!

Jami said...

I blog because I love to connect with others and hopefully encourage them along the way! And I love meeting new girlfriends! Of course I LOVE getting comments too!! :)

Showin'Grace said...

Thanks for asking. I just read them, but would love to have a blog of my own. But when you read blogs like yours, Nester, Big and Boo Mama, how can you compare? Oh fear keeps me from doing anything about my desire to blog. I admire your courage and honesty...for putting yourself out there. Thank you!

This Mom Loves Disney! said...

I blog because I love having a safe place to record all the fleeting moments in my life that I long to remember but know they will otherwise slip through my fingers like sand...

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, I leave comments because I want to be NUMBER 100...did I do it? I think this is your record....and wow...what BLissdom must do for bloggers. :)

B His Girl said...

Hi!
After She Speaks, I felt God telling me to blog stories about Him. It allows me to B creative and quirky:)and make much of Him!

B His Girl said...

Hi!
After She Speaks, I felt God telling me to blog stories about Him. It allows me to B creative and quirky:)and make much of Him!

MamaHen said...

I don't have the patience to scrapbook so I blog. I want to remember all the day to day things my family does.

-brittany- said...

To document the life of my baby girl with intentions to "publish" the blog using blurb for her first birthday.

Kim said...

uugghhhh - I was waiting to comment so that I could be number 100 since I wasn't number 1!!! But I'm to dang late!

As I said - I really started the fam blog to keep in touch with out of town friends!

Now EP or small words blog was started purely to show off my art! An easier way to upload the pictures - that was of course before I did up the site I have now that totally simplifies that.

I had a blast Sunday morning! I can't wait to do it again!

Amber said...

I started by reading them and decided it was the best way to scrapbook, journal, document, and share our lives while still having the time to live it! It has become so much more. ....inspiration, spiritual accountability, connecting, prayer, and truly getting the most out of my crazy days at home with young children :)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I blog because it can get lonely - my hubby works nights and I work days - after the kids are in bed its nice to connect with online friends!

(Did you see how I cheated there?)

Was GREAT to meet you at Blissdom! I know *I'll* be back in February - hope to see you there again!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Welcome back!
I blog for the outlet.
I blog for the community.

Jennifer P. said...

I blog because I love the women (and a few men) I've met.

I blog because it's cheaper than therapy ;).

Anonymous said...

When I don't want to blog, I blog because I feel the obligation to blog because I have a blog! There's the guilty part. When I do want to blog I just simply enjoy sharing my work and life. That's also why I read other's blogs. I have the privilege of sharing their special moments and interests. FYI...I love your blog!

Kathleen Grace said...

It is a creative outlet, a wonderful way to meet other christian women that I have things in common with and it inspires me in all areas of my life!

Angela Fehr said...

Tried to journal. Tried to write freelance. This combines both - feels good!

Moi said...

I blog because I needed a space to be me. I have moved away from home and my best friends and I struggle with truly settling in my blog keeps me in contact with them and gives me a great outlet to gab and share my interests.

Shilo said...

Having friends and family all over the world prompted me to start a blog, mainly to give them a chance to peak in on us as we journey through this life.

Samantha said...

I used to blog. I had a homeschooling blog where I recorded some of the things we were learning and I wanted to share ideas and tips with other homeschoolers.

I would like to be blogging now, but I'm still a little overwhelmed with settling our family into our post-seminary life and getting things organized. I plan to start blooging again soon, though. I think this time it is going to be more about reflecting on life as a wife and mother and making a record of things I'm sewing and crafting and maybe home projects too. Kind of a crafty mommy blog.

Why do I read your blog and all the others? I'm inspired to be a better wife and mother. I'm inspired to be creative. I'm inspired to do new things with our home and to make it more of a home.

I love blogs!

Melissa said...

I love to communicate with the world around me, through whatever outlet available.

impressed with your feedback, i must say. and so glad you're home...i was starting to wonder if you were going to make the Man move. ;)

renae said...

I blog (about running/racing) to connect and learn from other women/moms who share the same interest as I do!

Candy said...

I blog as an outlet to "talk" to adults during the day, as I have 3 girls and do daycare, as well. I also blog to keep family and friends up to date on above mentioned girls and family.

The Dragonfly said...

I blog to record a history of my sweet little family and to work through the emotions of being a mother/being a wife/beind a woman and being a daughter of God.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I love visiting with wonderful people, like neighbors used to...I also feel it is such a creative outlet...I've done projects, decorated and done new things all because of the creative flow in the blogging circuit. I am very grateful for the new friendships and the joy blogging brings me, I enjoy being part of the Blogging Posse"!!!!
Debbie@ribbonwoodcottage

Laura said...

I don't have time to scrapbook right now, so I blog in hopes that I can preserve all this for the days when I do have time and can come back to it. It's my temporary brain. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't blog but i might someday. I just read a few...daily. I love reading other people's thoughts about home and families!

Sing4joy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sing4joy said...

I blog to vent, to remember and to tell the stories I want to tell with the details I want to tell and not get that look that says, "I stopped listening 80 details ago." I READ blogs because of blogs like yours. (I also get a little kooky when I notice I made a typo on my comment!)

Leila said...

I wanted to blog because I think that today's moms want to make their homes but have few role models.

Now that my kids are older, I'd love to show them that they don't have to re-invent the wheel; I'd love to show them that if a complete housekeeping ignoramus like me can make a home, home school, and be creative, then they can too!

I actually started blogging because my daughter just started a blog for the girls in our family to show off our craftiness!

Emily said...

Because deep down inside I'm just a dork who feels like blogging makes me cool.

I love your blog by the way! I love your honesty and transparency about your relationship with Christ.

nate. said...

Why do I blog? I blog to challenge my readers to a higher intellectual standard. By no means am I superior in intellect, but I want to challenge readers, through a classical style and subtle philosophical concepts, to think differently about the world around them.

Anonymous said...

For the amazing community that the blogworld is.

Anonymous said...

I blog to document our adventures as a family. I read blogs to find encouragement from other Christian mommy's and to know I'm not alone in this crazy world of parenting, and to get a good laugh or a smile--for which your blog generally obliges! :)

Anonymous said...

i blog because I forget stuff ALL the time - my kids remember more than I do! Not only that, I love reading about what is going on in other homes & families...and I've made some sweet friends that way too!

Tracy said...

I blog to connect with other christian women and homeschool mom's! And as an outlet!

Marci said...

to show what God is doing in my life

Anonymous said...

We made a major life change moving from Orange County, CA to Las Cruces, NM after 20 years. I blog to process my new life in the real America and to keep family and friends caught up with our antics.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I blog to journal pieces of everyday life and to purposefully notice, enjoy, and create bits of beauty.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the blogging world existed until we were planning a b'day party for my MIL, it was a way for all of us to keep in touch with the planning. One night I clicked around and the next thing I knew I met some lovely people with like minds. I love keeping up with the family blog, thought I would have started one of my own, but enjoy reading more than posting.....

Great post,
Kathy :)