Friday, October 17, 2008

spontaneous blessings

In the name of being spontaneous (yes, I'm still being spontaneous), a trip that was supposed to be two days long has turned into six. I feel 10 years younger. Especially since my mom has done my laundry. Twice.
These girls are one of the many blessings I have received on this spontaneous trip. The Nester and I made plans to have lunch with Lysa TerKeurst of Proverbs 31 Ministries. I attended several of her sessions at the She Speaks conference in June and was immediately drawn to her girlfriend speaking style and her willingness to speak truth with the perfect blend of confidence and grace. Sitting across the table from her, those qualities were displayed even more. She has a unique ability to cast vision for others and encourage them in that. If you don't know anything about Lysa or Proverbs 31, let me encourage you to check them out.

Kristen of Beautifully Imperfect called me an hour before lunch. Spontaneously. She has never called me before. She even had to track down The Man to get my number. I am so glad she did. She is a friend from my hometown who is recently married and new to this big city (some of you may remember these photos from her wedding). She heard I was visiting and hesitantly asked if we could get together. Within the hour, we were sitting for lunch together and I truly believe it was a divine appointment. She is a writer. And as we listened to her talk about how she reluctantly decided to begin writing again through blogging, I felt as though I was watching the beginning of a dream take hold in her. I can't wait to continue to know her better through her writing.

This week has been crazy and unpredictable. I'm still not home and I have a spontaneous road trip with my sister to look forward to. That's right. I am thankful for the blessings available even in the midst of chaos. I am thankful for the money to buy new underwear because I didn't pack enough. I am thankful for a sister who lets me borrow her cool clothes because I didn't bring any. Speaking of chaos, check out my first attempt at taking the above photo with the remote. I need to practice being inconspicuous.

25 comments:

The Nester said...

dude sister, I'm so glad that you are so unplanny. thanks for having fun with me and being the best sister in world all the way to the moon and back!

Nancy Hood said...

this post was too caa-ute!

Anonymous said...

Are you two sitting across from each other and commenting again?

Glad you are having a good time!

Kristen said...

I had way too much fun at lunch. I have to tell you I'm not usually brave enough to call men I don't know very well. But I'm glad I did! Have fun on your spontaneous weekend!

Kimba said...

How awesome! I've read Lysa's blog before and she seems like a wonderful woman of God.

And how fantastic that Kristen really stepped out and made contact with you! How sad it would have been if she had been too afraid to call.

Kimba

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Lunch was totally fun. We have to do it again.

When will you be in the mood for another spontaneous get away?

I will even share my biscuit again as long as the nester gives me free decorating tips.

And Kristen has to come as well. What a doll.

joyfullness said...

You are too stunning.. you and your amazing life in the LORD!!
Thank you for the last several posts on MOM-landish stuff...the stuff of life..that, taken away, would leave me without MY "soul('s) purpose"...i delight with you as you take spontaneiety (how in the world do you spell that!!??)
for a ride!! I hope you let go..and hold your arms up high!!
WEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEEEE!
Joyfully HIS..
Joyfullness

Anonymous said...

I think that wearing underwear is practicing being inconspicuous.

Anonymous said...

You're a better woman than me for trying to figure out how to hide the remote; I just crop it out of the picture when I am editing now. :)

KimAmburn said...

I'm so jealous - I wish I could be spontaneous like that! I love that you count your blessings - esp. sharing clothes with your sister. My sister and I do the same.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

OH NO WAY!! I knew it...I knew you were going to be extra, extra fun and spontaneous, and go for the weekend just to make us all so jealous in the absolute most spiritual sense of the word!!! I want to be spontaneous with you (and I can say that now since I know that you have already left and I am not inviting myself along...heee hee)

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Very Cool! I can only dream of having so many people want to get together with me. LOL! Or to be able to just go visit my sister (she's a good 12 hour drive away)

God has blessed you richly!

Blessings to you and May God keep you safe as you drive home.

Melissa said...

that's my favorite part of your group pics. i play, "where's the remote?" i love that i got to be the first to try it out with you. remember that? anyway, glad you're having such a great time. so glad you went!

Denise said...

You are so lucky to get to hang out with Lysa and the Nester!! I heard Lysa speaks at our MOPS conference last year and loved her! Way to be spontaneous.

Katie said...

I love your hot pink shirt!

Shell in your Pocket said...

How fun!!!!You all are so cute!!! What a great time for you!!!

You look so young!!! I don't want to know how old you are:(!

-Sandy Toes

Danyele Easterhaus said...

looks like a fun crew!

Jennifer P. said...

I always have that "point and shoot" look with my remote too! Hilarious :)!

But seriously--you are all radiating in that picture!!! There is a light in every one of you that flows right out through your eyes! So glad you're having a fabulous trip!

onlymehere said...

What a fun time! I just reconnected with a high school friend that I haven't talked to in 30 years. Amazing isn't it? I forgot how incredibly funny she was and had a really good time. I enjoy your blog but don't usually comment. I totally love the final picture!!

Katy said...

That is a nice story. I love reading what you and your sister have to say. My sister and I are very close as well. Sissy's are just awesome!!

My Beautiful Mess! said...

What F-U-N!! Nothing like your sister and good friends that is for sure.

Rachel Spence said...

Hey girl! It was so good to meet you this morning at breakfast!! Hope you guys had a safe trip back home. Now you can come check out me and the fam!!

Unknown said...

Too funny...the picture that is. You look like great fun!

This is my first visit to your blog- not quite sure how I got here...that's how the blog world is though.

It's nice to meet you. :)
Have a peaceful Sunday.
Lynnette

Jami said...

Can I say I'm a bit jealous! Oh what fun that had to be! :) I wish I was hangin' out with you too! :)

Renee Swope said...

I was so bummed I didn't get to be spontaneous and come to lunch with you girls. Now that I see there was a whole spontaneous bunch, I should've moved my already planned lunch with my friend Jen to a new location! I just hate all the fun, biscuit sharing and dreamin' I missed.

I've loved catching up on your blog. You and your sis are some of my faves. Just love the way you write and "the nester" sure does inspire the domestic in me!

Let me know when you're coming back to Charlotte! Would love to see you girls.

Blessings,
Renee