Kimba over at A Soft Place to Land is having a Fall party today. I was planning to post some of my fall decor, but I'll be honest...its pretty lame. I'm thankful to her for forcing me to stop and think, though.
The seasons to me are God's gracious reminder of time passing swiftly by. I need to be reminded of that sometimes, as it is easy to forget wonder, to ignore beauty and to strangle the silence with the loud. Somehow, the sharp, confident coolness of the autumn air brings clarity of thought and heart. Clearing out the heavy, humid drudgery of September, autumn ushers in change.The trees exchange their green summer shawls for more colorful fanfare, a reminder that even the deepest roots don't guarantee stability. Change must come. There is a time for everything. A new school year. A new President. Fresh episodes of The Office and Pushing Daisies. New. Different. Change.
I don't want to be pushed along by time, flailing and trying to keep up. I want to move with the rhythm of it, to respond to my Creator, to breathe in this cool, crisp air. I want to take time to notice the deep and the detail while living in the obvious and the practical.
According to writer William Cullen Bryant, "Autumn is the year's last, loveliest smile." And so I reflect along with creation, as it bids a golden farewell to the year that has passed. A lovely smile indeed.
Monday, October 06, 2008
the year's last, loveliest smile
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
30 comments:
i totally agree. even with the deepest roots in God, things have to change. and it's a lot better to just flow with the change than to go kicking and screaming and making life hard for yourself.
and i really like your pictures.. esp the one of the tree and the little kiddlin feet :)
Beautiful. And I love the quote.
that was really beautiful. fall is my favorite time of year (but I live in Florida now so I celebrate a green fall - gag.) That quote is so fitting. Great Post!
Wow, girl, that was amazing. As you described everything to perfection, I relished in every aptly chosen adjective, strong verb choice, and the all around great sentence composition. I know you put some thought into this (as you always do), and I definitely appreciate it.
I love your posts!
Also, the picture of your baby's toes is beautiful. It beats the tree pics by a million. Nothing like little baby feet!
Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your perfectly worded thoughts.
I'm about to go finish packing the car so I can hit the road. See you soon!
oh my gosh...
THOSE TOES!!!!!!
What a beautiful post...and toes...but I still want to see your Fall decorations, lol...you're not getting off that easily ;)
Have a wonderful week!
Bella
You really should try and publish something. - You might not even have to try that hard...
well said!
I am always so nostalgic in the fall. I love your posts~they always just make me want to sit down, take a deep breath, and just "be." Gorgeous pictures, as always!
Love the post today. I haven't had much time to decorate either so I think I'll look outside at God's decorating today! Thanks for the thought!
That was such a good post. I loved it!
I love trees, as you know, and fall is the best time to love them. When they give us very colorful gifts.
Invite me over. I am there.
Just beautiful!
Just beautiful!
I swear you should be a song writer...the deep and the detail...I may have to steal that one. Miss you too!
I so enjoyed reading this poignant post. How refreshing...thanks so much!!
M.L.
i love little feet.
great post, Emily... :)
I love the picture of the little feet! So sweet. Your fall pictures make me want to jump into them, go site seeing, cook food. For now, I think I'll nap w/ my daughter. KB
Oh, I just love your posts. Inspiring does not even do them justice. I was thinking the same thing about my fall attire. It never occured to me that even though I may be lacking in the fall decor area, God has provide all I need or could want. Thank you for the reminder and those little toes are scrumptious.
Beautiful photos...! I love Fall too! Our trees haven't turned yet but it's coming soon. The little photo of the child's feet just melted my heart!
Amen! Thanks for the reminder to really stop and enjoy it all! :)
Beautiful. Reminds me of the Nichole Nordeman song "Every Season".
I wish we had seasons that produced beautiful trees like that in South Texas...
Such a poetic post. I love fall's fanfare. It's my favorite.
I love these pictures, beautiful!
You are..poetry!!
Just loved every breath i took during this post...it was musical...inviting...and real...
thankyou for the freshness of change and the simplicity of HIS love portrayed in your words...
Joyfully..
Well said!
Nice photos..! Well, Fall is approaching and that means the beginning of Halloween is nearing once again.
"I want to take time to notice the deep and the detail while living in the obvious and the practical."
Ooohhh...I may stencil that on my wall :) It's good. Very good.
Post a Comment