This happens every year. Just as I begin to settle into the Christmas season, my girls begin to plan their birthday. They were born shortly after Christmas (seven whole weeks before their actual due date thankyouverymuch). Had they come on time, we wouldn't be doing their birthday until the middle of February. Which would have been great because nothing big happens in February.
This year they will be five. They have already made their invitations and have been busy making plans for what will happen on their birthday. So far, it is a coloring, pajama, balloon, cooking party and there are 473 people on the guest list. And they want strawberry cake. With purple icing.
One thing I know they won't want is for us to focus on who they were as babies. Although it is fun for them to see baby pictures and to hear stories from their birth, for the most part they want to talk about all the things they can do now that they are five: like get skates and go to kindergarten and help mommy make dinner.
So we will celebrate them. We will celebrate the fact that, even though they were born too soon, they were healthy and whole and well. And they have become little ladies full of joy and innocence and excitement for life. We will celebrate who they are now.As I've thought about the way we do birthdays, I've considered the unique way we celebrate the birthday of Jesus. We sing about his birthplace, his virgin mother, his swaddling clothes, the manger. On Christmas, we celebrate Jesus as a baby.
Maybe it's because it seems more manageable and less offensive to think of Him as a baby than to think of Him as a man. I can handle a baby. But a man who claimed to be the the Son of God, Savior of the world?
He entered the scene of humanity in this most humble of ways and he did so on purpose. Beautifully. Ironically. But Jesus as a baby isn't such a big deal unless you know him as a man and why he came as a baby in the first place. What depth of joy is available to those who are able to transition from celebrating Jesus, the tiny baby in the manger to Jesus, the redeemer of our hearts.
Sunday, December 21, 2008
how we do birthdays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
40 comments:
Emily, this is a beautiful post. So true.
My Brooke just celebrated her birthday last week. She would have had over 400 guests as well, if I had let her.
So funny. And I'd totally like a piece of that strawberry cake with purple icing please.
very stirring thoughts.
I enjoyed reading your post...so well written and thought provoking!
-sandy toes
This is a beautiful post. You have such a way with words, truly a gift. My son was born 5 1/2 weeds early. Every year on his birthday I reflect on the blessings of health and happiness. I know that my healthy boy is a gift from God!
Amen, Sister.
I once confided to a small group that it was easier for me to believe that God came as a baby than to believe He (a man) rose from the grave. They looked at me like I had two heads and a tail growing from my nose...
This morning I marveled at church that perhaps it is easier for us to not have Faith than to have Faith. I have a friend from H.S. whom I've 'found' via Facebook --- under 'religion' on her personal page, she says, "I religiously avoid organized religion." She was like that in school, as well. Didn't want to be 'put into a box.' How sad is it that we, as humans, have so little Faith. I approached my kids about this tonite. Why believe when you don't have to? I feel passionate to help them see the beauty in having Faith. There's so much more to life when you see it through Faithful eyes.
Anyway...you struck a chord, Emily.
Merry Christmas, Dear. And may God bless your reminiscing in the midst of your girls present(s).
Being five is a tough one...FIVE...seems so "big girl"...no longer a baby.
Thanks for reminding us all the true reason we celebrate this holiday. Merry Christmas to you and yours my sweet friend!
I often wonder why singers in the secular realm can sing Christmas songs that are so, so beautiful to me as a child of God, and live like they never heard of Jesus. It's because of what you wrote of in this post. It's easy to think about Baby Jesus in the manger. A Baby can't shake the world lying in a manger. Thanks for this post!
Great post! Made me thing of Teledaga Nights, where he keeps praying to "BABY" Jesus...like he stayed a baby!
I didn't like that movie, but had to give in to the Testosterone in my home!
How true! and what a good analogy!
You absolutely have me thinking. I am struggling to get my four-year old to understand the true meaning of Christmas. Yesterday he announced that he Baby Jesus isn't his favorite, he likes Batman, Indiana Jones, Candy canes and Star Wars in that order. Maybe my focus on "Baby" Jesus is the problem, what he would relate to is Jesus, our own personal superhero. Thanks! I'm on it.
I too have been thinking about the birth of Jesus, our Savior, and what that means for us individually. I've been afraid my mom may pass this Christmas, and I've been praying that He takes her on any day but the 25th. BUT, a friend of hers told me what a beautiful gift to go home to Jesus on the day of his birth. I am remembering it is a beautiful day of peace and hope in the midst of any circumstance.
On a happier note, "Happy Birthday" to your delightful little ones! If they decide to go for a cooking theme, I have a darling pattern to make chef hats, decorate aprons, cute recipe card invitations, etc...Holler if you need ideas! And enjoy the strawberry cake! :-)
this is something I've been thinking about the last few days... since i'm in children's ministry, how do you explain to kids who that baby in the manger grew up to be? and why is that important? such a big challenge to curriculum writers and parents alike- as well as in our own hearts.
btw- my girls start planning their birthday party right after christmas- but they don't actually execute their plans for awhile... especially since they were born in september ;)
Just when I think I couldn't adore you any more, I do. This has been on my mind for the last week...mostly because my husband just watched Talledga Nights and has been walking around the house randomly spouting out things like, "Dear 8lb 6oz tiny baby Jesus".
It makes me think about all of the years I spent celebrating the birth of Jesus without understanding who he was and the sacrifice he made for me. As a believer now, I can't possibly seperate the birth from the life, death and resurrection.
Merry Christmas, my friend.
Kimba
What heart-warming words to read on a cold, December morning. Thank you.
So well put! I never even thought about that--no one has figurines of man Jesus walking the streets with other figurines following him.
can't wait to see you!!!!!!!
Girl if you lead a retreat i'd drive to where you live and come. Well said! Congratulations on raising 5 year-olds!! I can't imagine my kids that old...that they could communicate things back to you--ahh. Longing for those days :)
Great post!
And my girls are already planning thier birthdays and they were born in March and May, respectively! ;)
Happy bday girls!!
And yes, what is the use of the baby without celebrating and grasping the majesty of the man...our Savior. Thanks for the poignant post.
hmmm...and I just read the comments and did someone mention they would drive to a RETREAT!! Nope, don't know her, didn't plant the seed....cough, cough.
Indy was born 4 weeks early but weighed in at a very tiny 4lbs 14oz. He was (and continues to be) incredibly healthy. I too am thankful for that. He'll be 7 next July! :( They grow too fast.
If you have strawberry cake can I be guest 474? That's my favorite cake! It's good with dark chocolate icing. Yummy!
I hope they have a wonderful day!
Great post , I just love your blog. I too have a son who's b-day is the 15th of Dec. It is hard to plan before & after Christmas.Keep up the good work we love reading it here in Texas too. Merry Christmas
I love the way you bring the simple, everyday things to show the great love of our Savior!
I remember well when you went to the hospital and the call about the girls' birth. It really seems like a lifetime ago...instead of just five short years. Wow.
I am glad that Christmas, with all it's trappings, lights, presents and food is really just the biggest and best birthday party we will ever get to celebrate. My birthday does not involve a month long season of decorations and shopping and travel! It is as it should be.
What great persepctive. I love how the blogging community is really helping me focus in on true Christmas. Thank you.
This was beautiful... thank you. I love the perspective... and Mary has been on my mind- what she was thinking about, and dreaming about for her little baby... about how he would grow. Thank you.
And Happy Birthday to your little girls! Ahhh... the after christmas birthday. Ick. Mine is days before (which I think is so much better!) and my son's is five days after. I always have to work so hard to keep the energy on a go-go-go level! I'm thankful he is so easy going :)
Merry Christmas!
I have never seen it put any better. Ever.
Thank you for such a lovely post.
Merry Christmas!!!
wow, love when i'm just reading along and pow, there's the truth! Great writing. Thank you for sharing with us.
As for the girls' birthday, I can soo relate. I was that kid too who planned my birthday down to a tee each year. :) love it!
Blessings on you and your family and Merry Christmas, Emily! Kelly
I am right there with you. It may be my husband's catholic upbringing, but we have pictures of Jesus as a man in our home. And during Christmas I add more, just in case the kids confuse the fact that he actually grew.
But heroic hubby likes to remind us that the reason why we celebrate Him as a baby was because that is how He came into the world. And when you think about His grand entrance, it really is astonishing, the King of Kings came as a helpless, selfless human baby. Absolutely amazing.
Oh Emily, I hope for your sake that not all invited for your daughters' birthday actually come!!:]
Beautiful reminder. Thanks.
Please forgive me for all of these posts, but hubby keeps adding more of his thoughts, which doesn't happen often, so I wanted to pass them along. He just said that "the birth of Christ is more miraculous than the vastness of space". Now that is heavy - and yet, so true.
OMG!!! They are so precious even when they are crying! Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to your sweet girls!
so, so good...and so, so true. I love your profoundness. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a very happy birthday to your girls.
Love that nativity set.... so cute!
This is one of the most beautiful "Christmas" posts I have read this year.....maybe ever? So wonderfully thought provoking! Indeed, it IS a gift of God's grace to celebrate His birth but to go beyond that and understand the whole reason He came was to grow to be a man and die to be Our Savior and Lord! Amen!!! (And p.s. can't wait to see that purple frosted cake! :) )
Our pastor recently taught on this very idea-that so many people separate Christ's death from the holiday. But it's part of the story. That nothing will be impossible with God. That He did and does everything, regardless of pain to Himself, to gather us to Him.
I think it's also important to realize the lengths Christ went to, beginning with his coming to earth, to relate to us. He lived our life in every way and was tempted as we are. All because he wants us to know victory through Him.
Merry Christmas!
I read your sisters blog almost daily (or atleast everytime she posts)... i've come over to visit your page a few times - but never left a comment!
This post was beautiful! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Have a Merry Christmas with your family!!! (And i hope everything goes well with the girls birthday too!)
Dear Emily:
My newest bloggy friend of whom I am so enamored with your talent. May yoube filled with grace and love this Christmas and have a peace filled New Year.
Love, Dana
So eloquently put, Emily. My heart is so thankful that I know the man and can stand in awe of the baby. Sometimes when I read your posts, I wish that I could just hang out in your thoughts for a few days. I am sure I could learn more than a few insightful things! Since I can't, I am thankful that you share your insightful thoughts here!
Post a Comment