Thursday, December 11, 2008

stuck much?

Need some perspective on that next load of laundry or the dreaded trip to the grocery store? My bloggy friend Laura linked up late to Monday's Everyday Unwrapped post. I'm so glad she did.

Because even though I have been so encouraged by reading all the everyday moments from all of you, I have still gotten stuck in the daily drudge a time or two this week.

Her post is one of the things that helped unstick me. Here is an excerpt:

A death in the family tears you off of your feet and out of the everyday, unwilling, stunned into silence, glancing over your shoulder at what should have been as you begin walking the rut of the mourner. Gather at Mom's house, wash dishes, murmur reassurances of eternal life through Jesus that land on unwilling ears...If only we could be grocery shopping, solving math problems at the school table, putting in the next load of laundry.
I'm almost convinced that circumstances are generally neutral. It is our perspective that causes them to be either a blessing or a curse. Hop on over to Laura's site and read her eloquent and vulnerable account of finding life in the midst of death.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

had so much fun today.

sad for laura and definitely can identify with those feelings.

thanks for making me cookies!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Wow - to articulate that so beautifully in during your own sorrow.
And on a lighter note...you made Melissa cookies? You have quite the social calendar, my friend. I need to get on it...well, when I get home...after Christmas....Blissdom? :)

Denise K. said...

Thank you so much for posting Laura's beautiful entry. It was especially touching to me right now as we prepare for loss...her honesty and feelings were just what I needed to hear.

Shell in your Pocket said...

what a great reminder!
-sandy toes

The Writer Chic said...

Thanks for the link, Emily.

Amber said...

I love your blog, Emily. I love that you desire to write about the things in life that really matter. The things that can motivate and inspire and nudge us to appreciate all the Lord has so graciously blessed us with.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and the thoughts of others. I'm often inspired and encouraged after reading your posts. Your posts often yank me back to reality and out of my self-pity. Self-pity because I sometimes feel overwhelmed and overloaded with the task of mothering. However, I have to remind myself that being a mother is a calling that God has placed on my life, and it is my service to Him. I'm discovering I must view it as my service to my Lord, and, therefore, do it with joy and a gracious heart even in the midst of dirty dishes, laundry, and cranky children.

Thanks again!

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Powerful.

gina said...

Are you up for the challenge? Come on over and check it out.
purdywallcovering.blogspot.com

Katy said...

I'll go check her out...thank you for letting us know.

Jennifer P. said...

Plain, normal, every day life IS such a blessing. Having had my life completely shook up and dumped on it's head this year, how I have loved just finding a new 'normal' and settling in. I'm going to grab my kleenex and attempt to read Laura's post. Thank you for such a sobering thought today.

Unknown said...

I'm sure so many people feel this way, she eloquently said it. Take care and thanks for perspective.

Julie said...

You have great insight and I was touched by your thoughts. I will remember that it is so much how we take our lifes experiences that make all the difference!