Monday, December 08, 2008

everyday unwrapped

I received the following email last week from my new friend, Tina. She captures the spirit of unwrapping the gift of our everyday moments beautifully. I couldn't wait to post her words with her gracious permission:

This week has been dragging. Too much at home time, not enough planned activities; too much monster mommy, not enough being present. But then I have moments like this: where I'm in my robe, armed with coffee, sitting at the kitchen table, teaching my children that Abraham was so obedient to God that he took his son up to a mountain to sacrifice him.

I get to explain to a three and four-year-old that in the end, Isaac lives and God provides. And we glue cotton balls onto rams that I printed off the computer and hang them on our Jesse tree. And I've worshipped. In my robe.
It's time to celebrate the moment: not what will be or what is to come. But what is real and true this day: the messy, the lovely, and the unexpected. Share a photo, a story, or anything that offers a glimpse into your own journey of discovering the gifts in the midst of the ordinary by linking up below. I look forward to the celebration!

(If you missed the introduction to this linky, check out last Monday's post.)

Edited: Please link directly to your Everyday Unwrapped post or it will be deleted from the links. If you don't know how to do that, email me: epfree1@gmail.com.

56 comments:

The Nester said...

I'm first, I'm first, I'm first!

I didn't even read the post yet, I wanted to be first so bad. It's probably a whole post about how it's good not to be first.

I am Mom said...

thanks for your post last week - it made me slow down a bit and remember to enjoy. What I cannot capture in a picture is what I really noticed - after reading Gods word, my world looks better. No matter what is going on, He gives me hope and Im lovn' this season of celebrating Him.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Not noticing all the things I wanted to this particular week, but I posted a past one where I was in the moment. :)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ok, and it's so weird why my name is bolded and has a smiley face. I didn't add anything...guess I am supposed to be smiling since the guys just picked off the top seed down here at the ESPN Center. NExt game is Wed! :)

Denise K. said...

Thank you Emily for bringing our attention to the everyday moments in life. Since my dad's passing and my mom's diagnosis, I have been so aware of these everyday moments and how important it is to stop and appreciate the small moments in life. Thank you for giving us a forum to share those moments and appreciate them!

This Little Hen said...

Thank you for this. I realized this week I need to slow down. That is mainly what I wrote about in my first Everyday Unwrapped. God has given us too many gifts to be rushing around. My biggest one is alseep right now. Thank again.

Denise K. said...

Oops...Emily I can't figure out how to get your "Everyday Unwrapped" button to copy, so it isn't on the post...I need a tutorial on how to copy links...in the meantime, I gave you credit and told readers to scroll the sidebar for your blog on our "blog roll." I hope that is all OK. Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

I had so many moments that I would have missed, had you not reminded me to slow down and enjoy them. Thank you.

Mom in High Heels said...

What a great linky. I love seeing what everyone else is "unwrapping."

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

A wonderful & very thoughtful idea. :)

Mom in High Heels said...

Emily, can you please delete my first link (number 10) somehow it is linking to my P.O.O.P.I.E.S. post instead of my unwrapped post. I re-linked with the correct link. Thanks and kisses.

V. said...

thanks, I had fun with this one!

Kristen said...

Thanks for having us share the everyday we unwrapped. It's fun to read through these posts. I hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

Bee said...

This was a wonderful idea. I've been thinking along these lines for a couple of weeks now, and needed you to really make me focus on it.

Thank you for this and for your wonderful blog.

Christi said...

Emily, thanks for this lovely reminder - especially in the midst of this busy season.

Danielle said...

I had one yesterday, so I posted that one. I'm looking for more!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Ahh..see I forgot!!! Well, I will enjoy reading everyone else! Darn!!!!
-sandy toes

Dawn said...

sure is the little things that touch your heart...
thank you!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog this morning and you inspired me to write about something that's been floating around my head for a day or two-- so thanks! :)

EEEEMommy said...

It was so good for me to sit down and type out all the gifts I've already unwrapped this Christmas season. Thanks so much for hosting such an edifying meme.

Grace and Peace,
Angel/EEEEMommy

NCJill said...

Since I am still "blogless Jill", I can't do the linky thingy so I thought I would post here. Hope that's okay.

This past weekend I got to visit dear missionary friends home for a year-long furlough in Columbia, SC. While the hubby was at seminary classes, the wifey and I had the most amazing time playing, talking, laughing, talking, baking cookies, talking, and decorating their rental house for Christmas! Thanks to you and all the blog-world incredible decorators, I was able to help my precious friend put together some simple yet beautiful decor to bring them happiness until they travel around the country on the 17th for family celebrations. (they weren't going to do any decorating since they were leaving, but I gently forced my new-found ideas on them!)

Upon my return home yesterday afternoon, I was in for another fabulous surprise. While I was away, my sweet and thoughtful family had taken down all the Christmas decorations from the attic, bought and fully decorated the Christmas tree, and semi-decorated the house. PTL!!!! Today I feel so much relief and gratefulness from delegating that job to my 5 other very capable family members.
I think I'm going to go enjoy a mug of hot chocolate near the fire while gazing at the beautiful, colorful tree! Ah..that's what I'm talkin about!

Screaming Meme said...

Thanking you for making stop in my tracks and live in the moment...It means so much to me...I hope you enjoy my pictures of what makes my life good....:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this exercise in real living. It has been wonderful to share in each other's mindful moments!!!

Melissa said...

thanks for giving us a second to notice each other as we all "worship in the mundane" together!

Melissa said...

girl, how'd you know i was thinking the SAME thing? haha. ok, now i've got two!!! do i get a prize? did i win!!?? just kidding. ok, seriously delete one if i'm cheating.

Melissa Stover said...

i needed this!

Unknown said...

Love this piece!

Kelly Sauer said...

Hi, I didn't use your button on my post because I forgot, but I wanted to drop it here. Sometimes, noticing for me means noticing that I'm not noticing. I hope my post is okay. Thanks for your encouraging blog. I enjoy you!

My First Kitchen said...

So cool that you're doing this. And even though I don't have an official post to post, I'm still reminded, and I like that.

Katy said...

I like the little story that your friend Tina told. Cute and I can't stand Monster Mommy either.

Emily said...

Girl, we are like kindred spirits. Thank you for my comment love and thank you for the Everyday unwrapped....helps me to focus on the true joy of this Christmas...our Lord and Savior was sent to earth as a baby. May you and your family have a blessed season!

Miss G said...

emily, thank you for listening to God's still small voice and doing this thing. Thank you for not hearing Satan's lies that no one would come, that it would take too much time or you didn't really feel like sitting down and writing or whatever he might have tried to throw at you. This experience has been a blessing to me. Your comments on the posts I've read so far are so encouraging and warm and real. Your comment on my blog just makes me fill up with warmth inside. God's blessings on you my friend. Kelly

trish said...

Hi Emily,
What a great prompt that you have posted. I needed this. :o) God is so good! :o) My contribution is linked to your list.
Have a nice day.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Angie said...

What a great idea! It is those little things in life that are so special. I just want to store them in my memory banks forever. Thanks for letting me participate!

*Just Jen* said...

This is such a GREAT idea! I am enjoying ALL of the stories. I haven't done much work today because I am reading everyone's story and each of them are great! AWESOME idea!!!

Nothing but the Krums said...

Thanks Emily for such a great idea. I messed my link up the first time. Sorry about that. I have reposted it. I can't wait to read everyone else's.

Katy said...

Every day moments! Wow! for me today it was more like "every minute" moments. One min. I'm feeling overwhelmed, the next I'm posting with great ease and feeling ok by God's loving grace.

Emily, I posted earlier using the "everyday unwrapped" button. I assume that I was suppose to do that.
Have a great day!

Ada said...

My cousin Ashley shared your website with me and I cannot tell you how God timing it was! You have such a beautiful way of sharing motherhood! I am in the early stages, my first child just turned 1 (on Thanksgiving Day no less). Thank you for chatting at the sky!

Monica said...

This is such a wonderful idea. I don't have a blog, but I'm enjoying reading all these new ones I've just found.

aubrey said...

Thanks for the opportunity to do this!
It never ceases to amaze me how God can speak so clearly to me through my 3 year old! Or how my 3 year old is often smarter than me!

Not Betty Crocker said...

Thanks for doing this. I really needed this reminder.

Lila from Casa de King

Moody said...

Thank Emiy for giving us the chance to reflect back on the things are most important.

Moody said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog, your note is very encourging.

Luanne said...

It's been awesome finding your blog--a real treasure. I love finding God amongst the mundane!

Shilo said...

Thanks, Emily. God is using you!

Sharon Sloan said...

Wonderful idea! ;) Thank you!

Jill Beran said...

What a neat idea - great to stop and reflect and treasure the moment. Sorry to say a reminder I seem to need far too often.

Karol said...

Love this idea. Sorry I am so late. I am using one of my posts from a few weeks ago. It was one of those simple moments of bike ride, picnic lunch, at the beach with my kids. I moved to a place about 1 1/2 years ago that has made me slow down. Literally...the speed limit is 35 all around here. I came from a big city with meetings, pto, work, traffic, phone calls, appointments. I now live in a quiet coastal town where everything is laid back. I have learned to appreciate the simple things in life. Enjoy the beautiful beaches, lakes, landscape that God created and I am teaching that to my kids. I have learned to always have my camera and if I see something beautiful, just stop for a second and take a picture. No regrets that way. ;-)

||| laura frantz ||| said...

An excerpt from my post: "A death in the family tears you off of your feet and out of the everyday, unwilling, stunned into silence, glancing over your shoulder at what should have been as you begin walking the rut of the mourner."

So sorry to be such a downer, but that's my life right now!! But maybe I can help someone going through something similar this Christmas season...maybe?? Sorry to be a buzz-kill, emily.

Genna said...

I am just now discovering the joy in reading other's blogs. Thank you for this great idea and I already have some fun filled posts about Christmas on my blog this week. I hope it meets your criteria.

Denise K. said...

Emily, is it OK if I share another? If not, you can delete it, I don't want to take up "two spots". P.S. Laura, your post DID help!

Kimba said...

Late, as usual!

Bobbi said...

I know I am very late...but since it didn't seem you would be doing this again...I thought I'd link one up late! Thank you for this idea!

Manderly Ringor said...

I am late on this too! Sorry, but thanks for helping me see the gifts in everyday. :)

Unknown said...

This is a great idea, I hope I'm not too late. Take Care

Anonymous said...

I'm very late to Everyday unwrapped, but I saw your post and really wanted to participate. I have enjoyed reading the other links. Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!