Friday, November 21, 2008

an unexpected gift

Snow doesn't usually fall here in November. I'm not sure it was in the forecast for today. We simply woke up to one excited voice exclaiming "It snowed!" And so it did.
Within minutes, we were all outside in coat-covered jammies, hair un-brushed, eyes wide with wonder, to take in the first snow of the season. The kids weren't sure what to do, as it was only enough snow to show off but not so much they could really play.

So they simply stood in the midst of it. They touched it. They tasted it. They smiled at this most unexpected gift.

I want to be as they are when the unexpected shows up. Rather than fret and plan and wring my hands, I want to step into the unexpected with gratitude and delight...hair un-brushed and eyes wide open.

30 comments:

onlymehere said...

Wonderful thought for the day.

Jennifer P. said...

I love the idea of coat-covered jammies. Such a great representation of that joy and curiosity that just can't wait!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I am there with you....hair un-brushed that is....peering at His majesty that was so unexpected.

Anonymous said...

Very hard to embrace that which we haven't planned for when we're adults. A joyous reminder that it IS possible. Thanks, Emily!

Valarie Lea said...

We probably wont see any of that until like February or March. :[

Aubrey said...

What a cute little dusting you got. I'm praying it holds off here--I'm still recovering from last winter when it started snowing every. day. beginning Dec 1 and didn't stop for TWO MONTHS and then it kept coming until April! I get hives just thinking about it. But it's so pretty and fun the first time.

The Writer Chic said...

Love your blog. I'm a newbie, and just made my way through your archives. You've blessed me this week.

Amara said...

love your pictures -word, and otherwise. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. Frogster said...

I love your beautiful photographs! Here in oregon we almost never get snow and so I am so jealous!

Anonymous said...

I hug your writing, magical! You make me feel like a kid again, or at least awaken the kid in me! Where is our snow?? I'm jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, Emily, I am so jealous! Aidan actually prayed last night that the weatherman was making a good guess! We got a little while we were sleeping, but not as much as you! Love the post, I was thinking of our travel coming up and instead of being worrisome and sharp-tongued, I hope to be as excited as the kids are. Thanks for the post.

Katy said...

That is sweet! My daughter earlier today said, "Well mom, I'm not ready to get into my carseat...the cold air just feels so good on my face." I was hurrying around trying to get kids in tow and ready to zoom away, I thought..why can't we slow down and enjoy like they do.

Scrapper Mom said...

I loved this!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely miss the snow here in Georgia. Maybe we'll be so lucky to get even a dusting like you... NC isn't THAT much further north! Love the photos, as usual.

The Nester said...

you get everything.

taylor made said...

I luuurve your pictures. especially the last ones.

a boy a girl and a pug said...

What a great post! I'm jealous of your snow. We only get maybe 1 or 2 days a year with a snowfall. It's so fun.

Sally Pepper said...

I love this post! I live in Northern Canada, where we already have over a foot of snow! WE've shovelled all week and are looking forward to actually playing in it tomorrow...and many days to come! We probably won't see grass until April!

Anonymous said...

I just adore the very first snow of the season. It is stunning and so unexpected.
We still didn't have our first snow, maybe tomorrow ...

Suzy

Kristen said...

Oooo...I'm a little jealous of your glorious surprise and your chance for wide-eyed wonder. I can't wait until we get to experience joy of a first snowfall. Even if a dusting is all we get this year.

Mandy said...

wow...how cool is that...being a south Texas girl...I can't even picture it...of course we will be wearing flip flops to Christmas dinner too!!

Em said...

That looks so beautiful! I woke up to California's version of snow... FOG... but I still love it!

Haroldly Taveras said...

Wonderful picts!!!!

and wow...the joys of Christmas time are comming even faster...

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I got the hair unbrushed part down. The eyes wide open is another matter.

Anonymous said...

Everything's better through a child's eyes. Beautiful post.

TupeloLove said...

How wonderful!! I wish it would snow here, I miss it. Glad you got to enjoy it!

Miss G said...

another excellent reminder in the theme. thank you! Kelly

Anonymous said...

I wish it would snow down here in Texas.

Jami said...

I love that! Kids are great at keeping us in the moment!

tracey clark said...

these are gorgoeus images!