Monday, November 24, 2008

don't forget the silly

Thanksgiving is only three days away. As I prepare to gather with family and friends, I can feel myself beginning to sweat the small stuff. I am making lists in my head that include things like paint front door and purge house of all clutter and world peace. In the midst of the planning, I am reminded not to take myself too seriously.
I have a habit of doing that, being too serious in my head about things that aren't all that important. I'm going to take my cue from my niece and enjoy each moment as it comes. I wish the same for you.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm first, whoo hoo! That's because I'm a night owl. Your daughter is precious. Don't worry about a thing Emily, your Thanksgiving will be perfect, not because of what you do, but because of who you are. You, my dear, are the daughter of the King of Kings.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Hahaha - I LEAPT out of bed and ran back to my 'puter when I realized I'd closed your blog and I could've been first! Ah the coveted position of honor. I bow to you, Meme.

In the meantime, Emily, you are truly Everywoman. This weekend, we removed items from our storage shelves in the basement that literally filled two rooms (WHO has THAT MUCH STUFF after just 10 years of marriage?!). We currently have a pile just from the shelves alone enough to fill my husband's car to take to Goodwill. Let alone the fun I had yesterday in Pookie's room cleaning like some sort of raving lunatic --- I mean organizational wizard, of course. I have no emotional attachments to anything right now. ALL must be purged in order to cleanse the soul of our home and prepare me - I mean her -for the upcoming weeks. Well, that's how it feels anyway.

And you wrote about it.
HeartU! ( as always! )

...now back to bed I go...

Sunny said...

Such sweetness in those big brown eyes. Kids always have a way of setting us straight when we look at the world through their eyes. Hope you and yours have a good turkey day!

Mary said...

She is just beautiful. We all need some reminding of what you said :) Yesterday at church our pastor talked about living by the Holy Spirit and the effect it can have on our lives--I'm really committing to make more of an effort to start the day thinking in those terms...now if I can get the kids on board!!!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You are so right...don't sweat the small stuff...but if you really want to paint a front door, the paint is pealing on mine. I even bought the paint, and it's waiting just for you...I mean...me.
I'm sure you heard....600 kids last night at the Park. WOW!!

I am Mom said...

Amen - silly is a great stress releaser :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Denise K. said...

Perhaps this saying will help put all those preparations in perspective... "It's not so important what is on the plates, but what is on the chairs!" :-)

Bonita said...

What a doll baby! She makes me smile just looking at her.

Mrs. Frogster said...

Love the gorgeous pics! I hear you on the "purge the clutter" part. Sometimes I too have to step back and not sweat the small stuff so much!

Katy said...

Darling little grill (as my son says). I'm sure all will go well w/ your Thanksgiving. We're all sad around here right now. I posted about it this morning. Our poor dog died yesterday....we found him when we got home. So sad. I need to go hug my kids some more, unfortunately I need to grocery shop and go buy a new vacuum. My hubby said he'd do it, but it might be nice to get away for a bit.

Aubrey said...

I love the plans to "paint front door and purge house of all clutter and world peace" amongst the other holiday prep. I always think of doing things like that at the worst times. Like while my kids are spouting vomit...or the other stuff. I know, tmi.

Inspired Kara said...

This post just makes my heart smile...and sing. I love it!!!

Miss G said...

Such a good reminder. A "God thing" I think as I was just talking with my husband about this very subject. I think God is trying to work on me in this area, to not be too serious in my head and just to enjoy the moment. Thanks for the encouragement and letting God speak through you! Kelly

Heather said...

Her smile has made my day complete.

Melissa said...

she has the most beautiful smile - even with her tongue in it! fun post and definitely appropriate for me!!

Alexa's Photography said...

My brother, Jacob, pointed out your husband to me Sunday night at Proehlific Park. I kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye and thinking it was my boyfriend, Jonathan. Jake said "you photographers have a lot in common" and explained to me that it was your husband, who looks so much like my boyfriend. It was very weird and funny.

Lee said...

Ya know, I used to clean like a wild woman before holiday gatherings at my house. Until I realized the house got just as trashed during the gathering and I'd have to do it again AFTERWARDS! Now I straighten, use Clorox wipes on the sinks and toilets, vacuum and believe it or not, NO ONE notices. If I scrub all the tile in my house, it takes me all day. But now, especially if I am cooking for the holidays, I only sweep because the floor gets ruined anyway.
And I am more relaxed!
Enjoy Thanksgiving and CHRISTmas and know that giving a relaxed YOU to your family and friends is the best gift of all!

LuLu said...

thanks for the great reminder not to take ourselves to seriously. I needed that reminder especially now when I am so behind in my prep for Thursday, I think I missed the note that Thanksgiving is Thursday!!!
But I am just going to take cute pictures as I panic that my pies aren't done!!

Kathi Roach said...

Very sweet pictures. Loved your items on your list....so true isn't it??? How does painting end up on a list like that?? I don't know but I've had the same list. It's Mary & Martha all over again. Relax & enjoy...no one will even notice it your door isn't painted. (Well, maybe the Nester will!) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Silly is good! It keeps everything is perspective!
-sandy toes
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

tracey clark said...

the silly is such a gift! : )