Sunday, November 30, 2008

thanksgiving: the helicopter view

If I say Thanksgiving,
what is the first word that pops in your head?
Dinner, right?
Here is my table set for the occasion.

If I say craft project with 4 year olds?
Glue. Lots and lots of glue.

Let's say I say trampoline.
You think toetouch. Naturally.
Props to the Nester for capturing this on the first shot.

What about pumpkin pie?
You must be thinking of June from Bye, Bye, Pie
and her husband Marvin, of course!
They joined us for coffee and dessert.
And no, she didn't have pie.

What about dinner at The Mans Moms house?
Fruit bordered plates.
These are the dishes we always use for nice dinners at her house.
They are so familiar, I almost don't notice them.

It was a good weekend with large helpings of both food and drama,
neither of which I got photos of, really.
I hope your time off and away was as nice as mine.

21 comments:

K and/or K said...

I like that you added "a bit of drama." Your picture perfect Thanksgiving now made me feel more normal. Nice toe touch.

Katy said...

Looked like you all had a nice time.
Also, great toe touch...don't think I would look that graceful. Way to go!

Caroline said...

Girl, way to have the toe touch going on. I think I would have ripped a groin muscle doing that, but I sure would have had fun. Your table settings are lovely and the crafts, oh my. I am scared about crafts with 4 year olds.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sissy said...

The fact that you can still do that jump at our OLD age is very impressive. WOW. You are very bendy, as Phoebe would say.

Moriah @ Please Pass the Salt said...

Yes, I did my fair share of toe touches in high school. (But my kids are about to get a tramp for Christmas so I'm sure I'll be roped into doing them again!)

Kim Hancock said...

So fun to see a grownup do a toe touch. Courtney bet me I couldn't do a split anymore. I showed her to never underestimate the momma... even at 34 I was able to do a split just fine!

Bonita said...

I can't believe that you're doing the splits in the air! All I can say is WOW!

Beautiful pics and decor. Glad that things went well even with a little drama. What's a family get together without drama anyway?

Lee said...

Oh my word! You look about...um...TWELVE in that picture!!! If someone tied my ankles with rope and strung the rope up through the trees to hoist my gams up, I STILL WOULDN'T be able to do that.
I am incredibly jealous that you got to play on the trampoline, eat off fruit ringed plates, sniff glue with your kiddos AND have dessert with JUNE! AND MARVIN!!!! Oh how I loves me some June.
So if my sister and I make our way to NC and somehow stalk you enough to find all your houses, will you turn us away??

Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee said...

p.s.
A while back, you did a post about babysitters and the parents that hire them. Would you mind if I printed your *findings* to show to a group of high school girls in my church? We were having a similar discussion about this very topic. I'd also like to share it with our youth pastor.

Anonymous said...

It was kind of you to not mention the part where I was scared of the trampoline.

XO,
June

P.S. We had a really good time!Your house and all your people are just lovely.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Holy cow....a perfect splits in mid air...I am impressed. :) If I tried that..I would wet my pants - literally/unofortunately.

Melissa Stover said...

maybe i need to do a few toe touches and get this baby going or damage myself for life.

emily freeman said...

Hi Lee - I don't know how to contact you so I'll answer you here: yes! Use the info for your high school girls, absolutely! I'm glad it is of use to you. Thank you for being considerate to ask. I appreciate that! If you get Proverbs 31 Magazine, a condensed version of those posts will be published in the January issue, so that might help, too.

Tina said...

jumping on a trampoline and dessert with june AND marvin????? is there a more perfect day?

Aubrey said...

Your table setting looked so nice--I love the brown gingham tablecloth. All the glue on that turkey is priceless.

I cannot believe June ate no pie. The horrors. Is she funny in person? Dumb question, probably.

When I think trampoline, I think bladder control, or lack thereof. So I guess I think Depends. And my legs don't split like that, and I am afraid I will start an earthquake when all my extras start jiggling about while I jump with my kids.

emily freeman said...

Okay! I'm so glad you are all mentioning the bladder issues with the trampoline! Nester and I thought we had a problem. And well...we kind of did. But at least we're not alone.

Kimba said...

I'm speechless.

You have 3 kids and you did a toe-touch.

Speechless. Just speechless.

Valarie Lea said...

Woo Hoo on the toe-touch!!!

Anonymous said...

And P.S. Crowy Crow called me. Wants her feet back.

Curtis, Alicia and Xavier Brown said...

Okay, toetoucher, I have that exact same picture of you except we were in the ninth grade at the time! You can STILL do that?! Props! I am extremely impressed and quite jealous . . .