Wednesday, January 07, 2009

on being important

In the sixth grade, I had to write an essay with the title When I Get Older. The first sentence went as follows: When I get older, I will look tan like my Grandma.
The essay continued in an equally ambitious manner: I won't die my hair. I will be short and small. I won't wear bell-bottoms but I hate it when Grandma's look 21, so I won't dress in fashion either.

For a page and a half I described all the things I would be when I got older. I would have lots of friends, I would host Christmas at my house, I would spoil my grandchildren.

The kicker though, was the final sentence of the essay. I will be important. That was the climax, right after I will work in an office - clearly the fastest way to importance.

Everybody wants to be important. We may not state it that way, as I did in the sixth grade. But everybody wants it, we just define it differently. I wonder what important looked like to me as a sixth grader?
If you are a Wemmick, importance belongs to whomever collects the most boxes and balls, as described in this book by Max Lucado.
I suppose as a kid, important had something to do with neon rubber bands in my braces and a tire swing in the backyard. As I grew up, if I made good grades, kept the peace and managed to get a boyfriend then I felt important.

As an adult, I often think about where I am finding my importance. Is it my role as a mother? My relationship with The Man? My college degree? Perhaps a better question is this: who gets to decide what makes someone important or not? How do we define worth?

Max Lucado suggests purpose and importance is defined by the inventor. If he invents the thing, then he gets to say how it works, what its for, why it was made. He's not the only one.

32 comments:

Shilo said...

Such a good reminder today! Thanks for sharing!

||| laura frantz ||| said...

And specific to we bloggy people...how often have we let the number of people subscribed to our blog, or the number of comments we get, or the number of page hits we receive determine how we feel about what we write?? If I start "going there" I make sure I step away from the blog and sick my face into the Word. Another recent and relevant article on this subject: http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/4234

Laura said...

And isn't it also funny to read what others wrote in your high school yearbook! Great post - thanks for sharing. I'll bet your grandmother got a good chuckle out of your essay!

Anonymous said...

i love this post. thanks for sharing your heart and your "important" note.

And Laura, thanks for your comment. I feel "unimportant" in the blogosphere sometimes - and you perfectly described why feel that way, and it's irrelevant to why I blog. Thanks! :)

Cassidy said...

so glad I read this post today. a great reminder of what matters. thanks!

Kristen said...

I love Max Lucado's books. My favorite is You Are Special...also about Wemmicks. Thanks for the reminder about where I find my worth and importance.

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I am in tears, good ones though. Today I heard 10th Avenue North's song "By Your Side" and then after reading your post it just clicked. It just clicked. Thank you for the encouragement. How much more peaceful my life would be if only I would accept His grace and live each day as if I really believed that His hands are holding me, and He is never going to let me go.
Hope you don't mind if I post the words to the song! xoxo Meme

"Why are you striving these days
Why are you trying to earn grace
Why are you crying
Let me lift up your face
Just don't turn away

Why are you looking for love
Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
To where will you go child
Tell me where will you run
To where will you run

'Cause I'll be by your side
Wherever you fall
In the dead of night
Whenever you call
And please don't fight
These hands that are holding you
My hands are holding you

Look at these hands and my side
They swallowed the grave on that night
When I drank the world's sin
So I could carry you in
And give you life
I want to give you life

(Chorus 2x)

Cause I, I love you
I want you to know
That I, I love you
I'll never let you go"

10th Ave North
By Your Side

Anonymous said...

Love this post! Stopped by to say hello. I'm a fellow She Speaks blogging speaker; I've also seen the support for your Weblog award on Twitter from some of my favorite people, so I gave you a vote!

I think I just found you on Twitter, so I'm going to follow you. :-)

DomesticDivasFancy said...

This made me laugh. Needed that today. Great reminder as well. God Bless!

Heathahlee said...

This is a lot of what the book TrueFaced talks about. We have to listen to what He says is true about us to see our importance!

Moi said...

wonderful post.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Sweetie, Another good thing to remember is something I listened to in an individual Bible study I once completed (gee, I wish I remembered who to quote...); but he said that absolutely EVERYone is insecure, we all just portray that insecurity in different ways. Arrogant? Hiding insecurities. Snide, snobby, chic, dirty, clean, loved, unloved, all insecure. This has helped me often with my own anxieties and self confidence. Kind of like seeing the driver's test dude in his undies.

And no matter the blog outcome, you are by far my most favoritist. You are the first I check every day. I 'learned' something by checking out the others, but YOU are touchable, real, sincere, and lovely.

You do good work, my dear. God smiles at your words, for you are changing the world for Him via your blog. Who would have thought that back when it took 7 minutes to sign onto the internet?

word veri of the day:
hobli

Is that how I walk or something?

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

great post! thanks...sometimes feeling like i'm living the mundane and it's nice to be reminded who we are...so now i'm off to the bathroom where my bible is.

Kristi said...

That is one of my favorite children's books. There is so much truth in that book for adults too. I voted for you and I hope that you win!!!

Leigh Ann said...

Awesome post, thanks for sharing your heart, it touched mine.
Blessings~
Leigh Ann

Kelli said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very helpful! I'm getting ready to do a study by this author. I hope to learn a lot

Jessica said...

Thanks for the timely post. I have been thinking a lot about this in the last week. How do I find my own importance and what do I really want out of life?

Karen P said...

Hi - I just took my youngest to preschool for the first time - we started mid-year. As I drove away - alone - I was definitely struggling with how nonimportant this made me feel. Thanks for the reminder of where my importance truly comes from.

Amy in CA said...

I love your blog! "You Are Special" is one of my favorite children's books. And the interesting part is, there are plenty of adults (including me!) who could benefit from the message.

How amazing that we get our value only from God....not from anything we do or are in ourselves. Pretty liberating. But oh, how we forget!

Bobbi said...

I hadn't seen that Max Lucado book...I'll have to check it out. Thanks...for the perspective today!

Melissa said...

Haha, tan like your Grandma?! That's so funny!

I totally get what you mean. It's so funny how we think that something is going to make us "great" and in the end...what's important? It's our relationship with Him, and doing what HE has called us to do, that makes us "important," even if no one else sees it that way.

Melissa :D

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful well thought blog. I found you via the Nesting Place. You have my vote....hands down for best small blog!

Amber said...

I love that passage of Scripture.

Great post!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

What a treasure that essay is to still have!! Love this story....I think we had the video of it for our kids!!
Found you off of Nesting Place - lovely blog!!

Karla & Karrie

Amber said...

Thanks for the reminder of Who has already deemed us special and important. It is such a challenge to remember that in the way we live our life each and every day, especially as we are constantly surrounded by other messages of "importance."

Denise K. said...

Thank you Emily...just stopping by from California...I'm here for my mother's funeral, and even in the midst of personal crisis, I still read your blog...thanks as always for the inspiration.

Sincerely Yours said...

Really enjoyed this post! Thanks!

Jennifer P. said...

no bell bottoms, working in an office, tan .... yes, very important :)

I loved the reminder here. I often tell my kids "it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

Emily said...

Very nice post. I needed that reminder today:)

Melissa said...

well, as Kari was wondering in a comment to me, how in the world were we pondering over the same thoughts, but never mentioned it to one another the other night? we truly were separated at birth (even down to the scripture we used???) scary. anyway, love you, friend.

Julie said...

Love those books by Max L. My daughter has been reading them for about 8 years and she has them emoraized! The books have the best message- you are unique and God made you to be awesome. Thanks for the reminder. And your essay- Perfect! I love the I will never.....lines we use.

Rochelle said...

Great post!! My mom gave me "You Are Special" (Max Lucado's first Wemmicks book) in college, with a wonderful note on the inside about how special I am. It meant a lot to me at the time. But I never could have guessed that in about 4 years I would start working for the publisher of the Wemmicks series! Such a great reminder of God's goodness to us.

Thanks for your reminder of our importance.