I am so impressed with the Internet. Last night The Man and I began watching Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (No, I have never seen it. No, I have not read the book. No, I do not know what happens in the end.) Anyway, at one point we took an ice cream break and I checked my email and peeked in on the voting. I have to admit, I had a moment. I began to think about all the people I've met since I've started a blog.
At the risk of sounding cheesy and stupid, I have to tell you that I was overwhelmed with thankfulness for my Internet friends. I got emails and tweets of support from a bunch of the coolest people in webland.Take June, for example. My sister discovered her last year and quickly became a worshiper I mean fan. Shortly after finding June online, we got to meet her in real life and now she lives close by. I couldn't have imagined meeting Internetty people in real life a few years ago.
It wasn't so long ago I remember hearing the the phrase windows on the computer and was totally confused. The Internet was not a vocabulary word I recognized even my senior year of high school.Contrast that with last year at She Speaks, I walk into a room full of bloggers and these two blogging sisters walk up to me in recognition. From my blog. From the Internet. I keep up with Megan and Jami through their blogs and I'm so glad I met them.
I didn't have email until my sophomore year of college, and even then I remember sitting in my dad's office at our house, waiting for AOL to dial up. It took seven minutes just to connect. And that didn't even include actually sending an email.Now, people I meet online end up being friends in real life. Like Kimba from A Soft Place to Land. She has a sister who lives nearby and when she came to visit, a bunch of us scrambled to meet her for real like. And Jen, who I've known of for years, but only since she's had a blog have I really gotten to know her.
The ultimate crazy is this: I was so sad when my sister moved out of town. But then, oh joy! She started a blog and now we have all kinds of bloggy adventures together.
I never would have imagine writing on the scary internet. Or reading what other people write on the scary Internet. But now, I can't get enough of Jennifer P. and Mindless Junque and Chickadee and Through A Glass Darkly and Out on a Limb. And then there's that weird Twitter that I'm still trying to figure out, with friends like Fussy and Karla and Robin.
There are so many more. Bloggers and non-bloggers alike. So thank you. For not being scary. For writing and entertaining and being funny and supportive and thoughtful and useful and all the other 'fuls. And thank you for voting for this small blog. I promise to have a post tomorrow that doesn't mention voting. As long as you keep voting. Every 24 hours. Hallelujah and Amen.
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
hands across America
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
37 comments:
It is amazing what the blog world has to offer in terms of inspiration and friendship. I voted yesterday and will have to set an alarm for when I am allowed to vote again today. Good luck!
We do have our bloggy fun, don't we? Non-bloggers just don't understand. OH! I feel a cyber-group hug coming on! *squeeeeeeeeeze*
It is strange, but I feel like you just did a post featuring pictures of my friends - none of whom I have met. If its Bizzaro - or Providencial - either one I like it :)
so i kind of want to be an internet friend only, now. i mean, i know you just called me and left a message, and i know we're going out tonight for my birthday...but after that speech, i might move. love you...and so excited for you!!
You don't know how it ends? Man, you are going to be so sad when the boat sinks. And Jack drowns.
Thanks for mentioning me.
You have something wonderful "bloggers" as friends..what a blessing!
-sandy toes
I have so many blogging friends that they almost outnumber my real-life friends. :) A year ago, I wasn't even aware of this strange and wonderful world, and now I can't wait to check in with all my "friends" every morning and see what they've been up to.
I hope you win! :)
That's amazing that you have met so many people in person. I've talked to one lady on the phone, but that's about it. It's cool how it offers you a whole new realm of family! Blessings and good luck! Heaven
This blog thing is a little crazy, I started a year ago and never in my life would I have imagined it to be so great. :)
You are right. Isn't it crazy how the blogging world interconnects us? We meet people on the internet and we end up feeling like we know them and have been friends with them for years, but have never met them in real life?? Just a few short years ago this was not even a possibility. Crazy. I'm glad I met you and your sister on the internet. Good luck!!
gah! i'm all honored and delighted to be included in your must reads list. thanks for introducing me to some new reads too.
Just wanted to say that I have been reading your blog for a long time but have not commented much. Your writings are a blessing and inspiration to me, and I look forward to your updates. Thanks for letting me into your world a little bit!
What an awesome blog you have. I found your link at your sister's blog. xoxo
oh my goodness Emily! THANK YOU! I am so flattered! You know I just clicked with you from the very first read too---still wish you and Nester were my sisters ;)!
I love everyone you mentioned too.
Isn't blogland just lovely?!
Isn't blogging wonderful? I started meeting internet friends back in 2000 & I've met several bloggers in real life & they are always just as I imagined them to be. Once you start meeting people, it's not scary anymore. And I'll get to meet YOU & your sister & others at Blissdom & can't wait for that either.
I voted! :)
AWWW - I'm so glad I met you too!!
Awww Emily! I'm honored to be mentioned!! I am excited to vote for you and blessed to call you my friend!
CHATTING AT THE SKY ROCKS!! :)
funny I just read that Megan wrote "awww" too. we must be sisters! :)
I'm so glad you mentioned the V word because I didn't know I could vote every 24 hours! I am setting my alarm clock then!
I agree about friends via the internet. Just think if we could teach the home bound how to use it, they might feel freed from the confines of their four walls. So, I hope in 49 years or so, I might still be blogging from the nursing home. hee hee!
It's funny that I just posted about why I started blogging (that has a lot to do with you, btw) and what it meant for me this year. I think it helped us reconnect a little and it gave me a place to purge my pain (love those Ps.)
Let's get together soon.
I want to meet my bloggy friends in real life, too! It's amazing to be "friends" with people you've never even met!
Love it! SO true. And I didn't have email until I was 23 years old and MARRIED! What a dork! I so totally get this post. :-)
And how cute is June? Love her!
Do you think people think "June" is a man, or do they understand I am the one being swallowed up by my turtleneck, there?
I think blogs are this century's answer to the quilting bee, which is good seeing as I have no idea how to quilt.
I am glad I got to meet you too. I hope you feel the same about me after you see my trying on 78 wedding-guest dresses in a few weeks.
Your biggest competition is Rumproast?!
Come on girls get out there and exercise your right to vote.
It's amazing that real friendships can develop this way, no?
Who would have thought that I would have been comfortable sharing a room at Blissdom with people I've never met.
And I'm only a little scared. (I hear Rhoda comes packing heat.) ;-)
I'll be following the philosophy of vote early, vote often. Surely we can overcome Kiera Knightley.
Kimba
PS - Did I leave my eyes in the car when that picture was taken?
I'm new(er) to the blog addiction, but I have to say that I love your blog and of course, your sister's, too.
I have ROCKED THE VOTE...two votes for you in two days. I plan to keep on keeping on. I don't have many blog friends, but I look forward to it.
Break a leg!
Susan (The Mrs.)
love your blog...loved meeting you IRL and look forward to seeing you again at blissdom. hey, what's up with you being with all those political blogs?? BTW i voted again!
How fun to have met so many wonderful women through blogging! Yeah! I shall keep voting, and I wish you the best of luck! :-)
Blog land is wonderful. I live way up here in Northern Canada....my husband does not like me to say we're "remote" so I won't...but I feel so connected here in blogland...like the world is just a click away.
Im voting and I have my daughter voting, too!
I loved reading this... blogging friends are so great and my non-blogger friends just don't get it!
good luck with the award!
Ahh - what a fun surprise to come home really late last night, and see this post.
This surreal blog world is is amazing, isn't it?
Cant wait - three more weeks, and then we connect on more than just the computer. Do we really go to the same church? :) Shameful! xoxo
And what in the world with this rumproast site? Ugh!! he has barely any commentors, but must have gotten the "get out the vote" word.
i am so impressed, Emily :) congratulations!
I just discovered your blog, and I'm enjoying it immensely! I just started my blog, so I haven't really made too many friends on here, but I certainly do enjoy reading other people's blogs! =)
~Jaquelyn
I completely agree. Blogland has opened up so much for those who are like-minded to share, and communicate. Sometimes, I think, I'd like to move to Blogland....everyone there is so wonderful :D
Melissa :D
I've really just discovered this world but have found a really amazing group of women that have already inspired me. Good therapy too! THanks
I often am amazed by the internet. It's cool that we are this age during this time... our children will take the internet for granted, not even knowing what a miracle it is.
Post a Comment