Tuesday, June 03, 2008

unpacking treasure #2

It always started the same way: we would spread out all the Barbies in the middle and pick. Then, after we had chosen who we were gonna be, we would spread out the little junk in the middle and pick that, too.
Leave it to the twins to find my box full of little junk. They came to me together, each holding one side of the box, saying to me in unison: "Mommy...can we play with this?" Why was my first response no?I'll tell you why. Because of the turkey. And the pie. That's why. They are just so small and so cool and so wonderful. Can 4 year olds really appreciate the fancy "china" Barbie plate? Do they know how to use a tiny veggie tray?
For a minute I was 8 again, protective of my stuff, not wanting little kids to mess it all up. But then I came to my mommy senses and realized they are the reason I saved all this stuff in the first place.

Turns out 4 year olds are pretty keen on what to do with a pretend turkey. In fact, they did it for over 2 hours. A treasure indeed.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted the Ken.... Never got him. I also wanted the motorhome.... guess thats why my child has one of everything. She will spend hours playing on the floor. I still enjoy dressing each and everyone. Susie H

megs @ whadusay said...

How cool that you saved those treasures. I remember spending hours playing Barbie with my sisters. Your post brought back good memories of childhood - thanks!

Caroline said...

Ah yes, Barbie and all her paraphenalia. My sis and I never owned Barbie, but our friends kept us well acquainted with her. Barbie and I spent many days on our neighbor's deck basking in the sun. She in the Barbie pool, and me, well, just living vicariously through her.

Betsy said...

Barbie DOES have lots of cool stuff, doesn't she? Your twins are ahead of their time already knowing what to do with it!

Brian and Staci said...

How fun! Do I spy some boots in that pile---I (well, Barbie) had those exact pair I think :) Coolest thing I can remember getting for my Barbies was a hot tub...that you pumped up---VERY cool! That was always what I was always protective of! How fun for you to get to play with your little girls!

Aubrey said...

Those are the coolest Barbie accessories I've ever seen. Who knew Barbie eats turkey? She looks so anorexic. Anorexic with plastic surgery implants.

Tiffany said...

This post brings back so many memories. As the older sister, I manipulated the younger sister into giving me all the cool stuff first.. poor thing. I still feel bad about it.

My brother-in-law saved all his Star Wars action figures, my son LOVES them... they just don't make toys like that anymore.

Amber said...

I had every single one of those food items! I recognized them right away. :) Oh, the hours I spent dreaming up stories and outfits and parties and weddings for Barbie and her friends! Did you ever use toilet paper for the aisle runner at Barbie weddings?

My grandpa built me a 2 story Barbie house that was as tall as me out of paneling and wood. It had a giant door that opened to expose the whole house. The best part? I got to decorate it!! With carpet and wallpaper scraps, paint, fabric scraps, old pieces of linoleum. Fully furnished with the Rose collection of Barbie furniture from birthdays and Christmas'. Joy!

I loved reading how much your girls are enjoying playing with all of your old Barbie accessories. I have save boxes with all of my old Barbies, clothes, furniture, and accessories. I don't have any sweet little girls yet, but I hope that one day they will enjoy those "treasures" as much as your girls are enjoying yours! :)

Kari said...

I had that turkey/veggie plate/pie/fine china/muffin tin. Oh, yes.

Jennifer P. said...

i recognize the gold purse---it has a little pearl button on one side, right? WHOA! That really took me back to see that! I was much like your sister and spent HOURS designing Barbie's mansion--leaving my friends to all the tedious outfit styling :)!

Anonymous said...

A friend and I did the same thing, probably in 1983. We piled everyone on the middle of the bed, sat on the floor on opposite sides of the bed and took turns choosing. I'm not sure why it was "secret." Usually after that, we would ride bikes or play MASH. Is it just me as a mom with far more to think about, or was life actually simpler then?

Melissa Stover said...

how wonderful! i want to play too.

Sissy said...

I renamed my Ken doll. His name was Bartholomew. I don't know why, but that seemed elegant to me. My brother would play with me sometimes (when my mom forced him) and I would play GI JOE's with him. I later got in trouble when I told all his middle school friends about that...

The Nester said...

my comment didn't show.

anyhow, i said that grandma morland would be proud that those sweeties are playing with that stuff and that you saved all that little junk for so long. I guess that was money well spent.

Heather said...

I might need to borrow that Barbie turkey. I wish I would've saved my Barbie stuff. I had one that you could give a perm to. Of course, it was in the 80's and it even came with little bottles of "solution".

angela | the painted house said...

I love that veggie tray. I guess that is how Barbie stays so skinny--she's not eating the plastic turkey that's for sure.

I had the Barbie McDonald's, remember? With the little buns and little meat patties. Mmmm...

You are a nice mommy to share.

Heathahlee said...

I remember the gold purse, too! And of course the boots and all the shoes. My cousin had the big mansion with the elevator, as well as the convertible and I was so jealous. I did, however, have Barbie's black horse and her afghan hound whose names I cannot for the life of me remember. Ah, the early '80s!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I wish that I still had all my Barbie stuff to pass on to my little girl. Alas, she prefers trucks and cars and just generally keeping on pace with her older brothers.

Should have kept my baseball glove also!

peace~elaine

The Gerster Family said...

It's funny how we revert to our younger years when those precious treasures are pulled out. I'm glad your twins found joy in your little treasures!

Nicole said...

Remember me? I asked you a zillion questions about painting your kitchen cabinets! Well we finally did it, their all painted, and I've blogged about them. I'm sad there are no granite counter tops like your pretty ones but maybe someday, down the road.

katylinvw said...

i love all your little treasures! it's like memory lane today, my sisters and i played with barbies for hours on end! thanks for sharing this sweet story! - btw, i found you thru SITS!

Nonnas News said...

I loved playing barbies when I was a little girl. I dont know what happened to all mine. We moved and I think my mom got rid of it.:( Your kids will have hours of fun with that! I found you thru SITS!

His Girl said...

Man I love treasures! Right before christmas I found a whole mess of 'em! had the BEST time!

Lisa said...

I had a Barbie doll house from the 1960's that I loved. I can't find it now and it is sad. :( I loved all the pieces that were included with it. Glad you have your treasures to share.

Lisa Q.
lifewiththequeens.blogspot.com

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Treasures indeed!

THE Stephanie said...

Wow... I wish I would have saved anything from childhood but it's just not my nature. How cool to have your kids playing with your things. And for 2 hours?? THAT is a treasure!!

Jami said...

Hey Emily - thanks for coming by my blog. I look forward to meeting you at the conference!

I'm actually doing the speaking track but hopefully we'll still meet up! :)

Renee Swope said...

Hi Emily,

I LOVE your blog!!! I have been sitting here reading it for ohhh over an hour when I really should be working on my She Speaks messages. Please don't tell Lysa.

I love your house!! We just moved three weeks ago. I hadn't thought about naming our home, but that is what it needs. My boys insist it's a manly house so it has to be a manly name. Hmmmm...

Anyway, I dropped by to find out if you are coming to She Speaks b/c a good friend of mine was telling me that you are a great writer and that people have been encouraging you to attend. I had looked at the attendee list in the office, but didn't know your last name. After searcing for a post about it - which led to lots of great reading, I found a comment from someone who said she'd see you there. So I figured out that you are going!

Anyway...so excited you'll be there. My friend Bev was right. I do love your writing!

So, please introduce yourself if I am staring at you in the hallway because you look familiar but I can't remember why. I promise to act like I don't know everything about you - like how amazing your sunroom looks, that you're double jointed, finally gave in to watching The Greatest Catch, that you took the doors off the fireplace cabinets, etc. Yes, I've been here a while...

Have a great weekend!

Renee

from Proverbs 31 Ministries

Katie said...

Ohhh, Barbie talk! I can't wait till my daughter Amelia (1 year old) can play Barbies... I saved all (forty) of my Barbies and all those "little" bits. She has been hauling my Cabbage Patch doll around, and, at first, I had the same reaction you did...I was afraid she was going to scuff the baby's face and head...then I remembered that I wanted her to love it and play with it. So cute!