I've been thinking a lot about home lately and about why I enjoy being home so much and what things cause me to enjoy it more than others. There are those days when I want to be anywhere BUT home. Stressful days. Sick days. Whiny days. But even on those days, I've discovered one of the things that makes those days just a little bit better.
Wanna know what that is?
It's if I have dinner planned. I know it's small. But really, it isn't. Because meals are such a tangible way to care for and love my family. And spending time in the kitchen is so much more enjoyable when I've thought through why I'm there.
Enter my friend Kendra. She is has been married for 5 years, bears a strong resemblance to Martina McBride and is just generally fabulous. She loves to be home. More than that, she loves to make her home. And a lot of that making happens in her kitchen.
So guess what she did? She started a business. It's called My First Kitchen and she teaches people how to cook. Whether you are a young bride, an empty nester or even a MAN, she has a little something for everyone. And she does it all from her own kitchen. She's for real too...licensed and everything.
I figure a girl has to cook. Why not be good at it? Why not make it fun? Why not take a cooking class?
So I took a class with Kendra on how to make your own pizza. And then I did make my own pizza with my girls and it worked. It actually worked. So I took another class with Kendra on items to make for a brunch. Here is the blueberry scone with lemon glaze that our class made together.There was more than one scone, just to be clear. But this is the one that I ate. And it was divine.
Even more than the really great food we made (and ate), I am drawn to my friend because she took her love of home and food and all things cooking and she is building something that wasn't there before. (Is anyone else singing Beauty and the Beast right now?) When I asked her how she learned to cook, she said by watching lots of cooking shows, reading lots of recipes and by making (and eating) lots of mistakes. Nothing like eating your mistakes to force you into some skill. And fast.
Now don't try to lie. If I know you like I think I do, when you saw the title of this post you thought I was going to post photos of my kitchen. That will come. I will also bet you're wondering how much Kendra really does look like Martina McBride.
So go ahead. Check her out.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
my first (and second) kitchen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
You're too funny! My first thought was, "Oooh, pictures of the kitchen!" and my second thought was, "I wonder how much she really does look like Martina McBride". You're good--really good.
Yep, I was expecting kitchen pictures too. And I may be a little off topic, but how can I get a recipe for that scone? I wish I had one right now, with a big latte. Sigh.
That is too funny! I was just thinking, "ooh, I hope she links us so we can see her!" I can see that...it's her big eyes (probably blue?) and that great smile! With darker hair, she might pull it off! I also thought you might have TWO kitchens in your new house! One that the last owner cooked in and the other to take baths in...I'm trying to tie that with your last post about having the washer and dryer in the kitchen...but I'm failing miserably. I do agree...if I have done a good job at planning dinners for the week...life just some how is A WHOLE HECK OF A LOT EASIER! Gotta put the stromboli in!
I am not sure why that just posted as anonymous, but it's me, Staci...from Brian and Staci :)
I just recently started making pizza. The kids think I'm really cool and I'm saving money so my husband likes it!
But that scone...wow! Looks delicious!
Jaime-I bet if you go to her web site and email or comment your question about the scone recipe she could hook you up.
And Staci, I was totally with you on the 2 kitchens thing: one to cook and one to take a bath. HARDY HAR HAR! Laughed out loud on that one.
Oh, you know it! I thought it was kitchen pics! Wow...she does look like Martina! I have never, ever, EV-ER thought to take a cooking class! That sounds like so much fun! And completely practical! I'll have to look into that... (At first glance, I thought that scone was a giant, mega sausage ball... hehe)
AAh - THAnks for the tipon sending her an email (sorry 'bout typos - writhing, sick baby in arms and one hand to type...) cuz i dont live anywhere near and i need that recipe!
ands i too wondered what strange kitchen arrangements previous owner had...afterall, washer/dryer in the 'standard' kitchen area! still canNOT wait to see m,ore. you n sis are both WONDERFULLY talented.
~karin
I love the bowls! And yes, you got us there...kitchen pictures..LOL!!!
Thanks for the info on the cabinets yesturday.
I totally get the homebody thing. I am very much like you. My problem is I hang out on the computer all day reading yours and the Nesters blogs. I need to get off my highny and go do some mistreating of my home or painting or dusting...or whatever. LOL!
Thanks for being such an insperation.
Sorry about my bad spelling.
Susan
Pink Portuguese Roses
I totally agree that having supper planned (and in the crock pot early in the morning is even better!) for the evening does make the day go so much more smoothly. When I don't plan I dread my husband's daily "What's for supper?"
That scone looks so yummy!
Just swung by to say hi and tell ya i'll see you at She Speaks! Safe Travels!
Heather T
That's how I learned to cook too!
I'll go over and say howdy now :)!
very cool!
I couldn't agree more.
As one of those things on the list of To-Dos, it is nice to have the menu planned at the beginning of the week. That way the stresses of cooking is half over.
Now I just need to find a few "cooking' friends close by to do a dinner swap with me. That would make life even more easier! then I would only have to cook 2 nights a week.
oh, yes, may favorite place to be is home. don't you wish everything could just come to you!
Thanks for linking Kendra. I love reading her tips!
YUM! UI am so craving a scone right now.
I dropped by her blog and said hello. I wish I loved closer so that I could take a class.
YUMMY, did I say that already?
just wanted to say i ran accross your blog, through a google search for something else- but i've absolutely loved reading it the last couple of days- and i love sarah masen, and i love your mad decorating skills- nice job on that laundry room- i love it!
Megan
I would love to take a class and probably need to. I'm soooo stuck in a rut with cooking. I make the same five dishes REALLY well, though. Ugh...time for a change.
Your friend is adorable and I really like her blog, so I bookmarked it to go through when the kids aren't fighting over cartoons.
Tell me that scone was just melt in your mouth! Generally I love to cook...but those people who say, "Oh, I like an open kitchen so I can visit with my guests while I cook," no! Not me. I like to concentrate on what I'm doing. No distractions...except of course if there is a skinned knee or a screaming match or etc...
Oh, the subject of food...I am giving away a $25 gift card to Whole Foods in my Make Someone's Day challenge. Come over to The Painted House and check it out!
I also likey the bowls....can you please share where they came from?
Thanks!
Beth in NC
Hi Beth, I hope you find this comment, as it's the only way I have to answer your question. You'll have to ask Kendra over at myfirstkitchen.net about the bowls. I took the photo at her house :)
Thanks, Em, for giving me such a kind blog shout-out. (Yes, I just said shout-out.) And thanks to all of you Chatting faithful for visiting my site. I hope you liked it.
Beth, I actually for the bowls in the dollar section at Target. Two bowls of the same color, one large and one small, for $2.50. Blue, green, pink, and off-white are your color options. I love mine. Even if I never use them to cook, they're still too cute on my shelf. So wait until all of the July 4th stuff is gone, and they'll probably restock them if they're not there now.
The scone looks delicious! My scones always turn out like hockey pucks. :D
Post a Comment