Monday, June 16, 2008

imperfectly beautiful

The Nester is hosting a party over at her place, posting photos of things that aren't perfect but still beautiful. And she's asked us to do the same. I was going to post a photo of my laundry room all lived in and dirtied up, but then I thought: Who wants to see photos of other peoples dirty laundry? Don't answer that.

I'm discovering that I feel the same about taking photos as I do about writing. I've always said that one reason why I write is because it's hard for me to know what I think unless I write it down. Kind of a pain during an argument, but whatever. Taking photos is a lot like that for me.
When I have a camera in my hand, it forces me to be observant, to notice everything and not just the main event. Each snapshot has a little story to tell. Simply, beautifully, the photo speaks long after the event is over. And when I look through my photos, I am able to form a more complete picture of the event as a whole by piecing together all the little things.
One of my favorite things to do is to bring my camera to weddings and capture all the things that the bride and groom don't have time to notice. They've hired a real photographer to get all the "perfect" shots of family and wedding party and main event type stuff. But I would rather get the fun stuff, the real life stuff, the stuff that is imperfectly beautiful.
A bride is always beautiful, even when all she's doing is leaning into her getaway car, popping balloons with a safety pin.
The parents of the bride are always beautiful, too. Here they are just after the couple drove away...windblown hair, not a suit jacket in sight. Can you imagine what is on their minds at this very moment?

I'm thankful to the Nester for giving us the chance to remember all the things that are beautiful though far from perfect. In a way, that kind of makes them perfect after all.

And one more thing.

35 comments:

The Nester said...

that's what i'm talkin' about. as Ty would say.


I wish i could go back in time and have to take real photos at my wedding and not just have the formal ones! She's so lucky to have you!

love you sister!

Kimba said...

Now that's what I like to see...not your undies...but real life.

I love the photos that capture a real moment. An expression. An idea. Just beautiful.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I wish I'd had you at my wedding! These photos are fabulous.

I feel the same way about writing and taking pictures. They help me sort of make sense of my life. I wonder if that's why most of us writers start writing in the first place?

As always, I love visiting your blog! -Julia :-)

Amber said...

I love your perspective. (And that is one *gorgeous* bouquet of sweet flowers!) Thanks for sharing your thoughts...and airing your dirty laundry. ;)

Megan O. said...

I think those types of photos are really the best ones. The ones that tell the real story. And by the way, your laundry room looks like mine on a good day.

texasmcvays said...

Your laundry room makeover is amazing!
Kyle

Megan said...

what great pictures! also, i feel the same way about writing- and pictures- and i have thought the same thing about the inconvenience of not having the best words to say until AFTER i'm done talking to ____ and i'm journaling about it later!

btw- because imitation is the greatest form of flaterry, i think you should know- i did a google search to find some homeschool room inspiration, which linked me to your sister's blog, which linked me to yours, via the oyster bay and svelte sage post (love the long story?...) anyway, coincidentally, i had been planning on painting my kitchen a blue that had to be a tad green and gray, and oyster bay was exactly that color, before i'd even gone to find it ( the kitchen was next on my painting list). so, as of this weekend, i have an oyster bay kitchen and couldn't be happier with it. i love it so much, even though blue has never been "me", so it's getting me out of my box. (and the svelte sage is going in my basement, btw- it's way more predictably mine, with it's green-ness, so i'm excited to throw it in the mix somewhere- since i love the oyster bay so much!)

thanks for listening to my ramble- we just moved and i've yet to find a decorating friend in real life to bounce ideas with. sorry for the extremely long paint commentary!

Megan

John Deere Mom said...

Great pics. Oh, and can I move into your laundry room? I love it in a big, big way. The color, the window mistreatment, the white built-in desk, the stool, the lamp. Love it.

Carla said...

Great pictures!
Yes indeed, a bride is always beautiful =)
Once looking at the wedding photos you posted, I just got reminded of my brother's and sister-in-law's wedding which was only some weeks ago! It was a fabulous day and she always looked perfect...I guess I should and could say the same about my brother!

Holly said...

Those wedding shots are amazing!!! How naturally intuitive you are!!! And not the least bit messy with the laundry room... LOL!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Geesh, that bride has some toned upper arms! Nice!! I'll just cover up my wobbly biceps now...

By the way, I don't think I ever posted here about it, but I really do like your laundry room/office. At our old home we had a combo laundry room/office/pantry...except ours didn't have a window. It sure did get nice and toasty in there in the winter though with the hot water heater and the washer/dryer!

~ Sarah

Julie said...

hee..I put lots of pictures up last week of my dirty laundry. Probably doing it again this week. Its a great way to motivate yourself to get it done.

Those are great wedding pictures by the way!

Finding Normal said...

I love the REAL wedding pictures! I did a similar thing for a friend last summer, and she liked those better than the "real" photos.
And I still love your laundry room, laundry and all!

Unknown said...

I'm a lurker, brought out by THe Nesters Party today.

What you write today was fabulous.

And thanks for posting you laundry.

Tabitha said...

I love the laundry room!! Thanks for sharing--so glad we all live in imperfect beauty!!

angela | the painted house said...

The photo of the parents and what you said..."what they are thinking"...got me all teary. Will my babies really grow up and marry? I can't imagine what that will be like.

Thoughtfully perfect post.

Julie Willis said...

I really started to tear up when I read your post. You made me think about the beauty of the moment! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love your imperfectly beautiful wedding photos. They make you feel like you're there. The pictures are so real. Thanks for sharing.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

The candid shots are my favorite from my wedding. That's so sweet of you to take yours and share with them. How fun for them!

Heather said...

OH, thank you thank you thank you for showing us your laundry room not all perfect and adorable. I can now be your bloggy BFF. You are my people.

amanda said...

just stumbled into your world and had to say what a beautiful world it is! love the polly story, the room makeovers and even your laundry room!

Heathahlee said...

I'm so glad you decided to show us the laundry room...not that I like looking at someone else's dirty laundry. :)

Tiffany said...

These are really great pictures. The unrehearsed photos are my favorite of my wedding!

Brian and Staci said...

How absolutely beautiful! Those pictures are the best! She is going to LOVE them! What a great friend you are!

Gretchen said...

The wedding pictures were ... perfect!

Oh, gotta go put the clothes in the dryer. (Thanks for the reminder)

katylinvw said...

i love your photos - they are absolutely beautiful! (i think the "perfect" ones always look too posed!)

anne said...

great pics. :)
Loving your blog btw...been "blurking" for a few days and decided to post :)

My Beautiful Mess! said...

I totally agree. The best pictures in my opinion are the ones that capture life "un-posed". Love your blog!

Betsy said...

First of all, I LOVED the idea of imperfection. That is just keeping it real! And I think brides will love that you captured those real moments on their wedding day. That different perspective is definitely more interesting than all the posed shots!

By the way, I gave you an award yesterday on my blog. I have only been reading your blog for a short time, but I love it! You always make me smile or inspire me, Emily!

Kitty Scraps said...

Are you a professional photographer? Your wedding pictures are amazing! You have a real eye for capturing the moment. I am so jealous! lol

I meant to post before about how beautiful I think your laundry room turned out. You did a fabulous job and I love your color scheme. If I had known way back when that white cabinets could look so good I might not have painted over mine, lol I think your room is lovely, a beautiful place to work.

anne said...

thanks for "visiting"...that blog is just pics i've taken...kinda boring.
My "real" blog which I update way more is...
www.justinandanne.blogspot.com
ps- can you come help me remodel a few rooms...your office looks stellar.

Melissa Lester said...

I love your blog and the way your words seem to fall onto the page so effortlessly. I have visited many times, but came here today via the Imperfectly Beautiful challenge. I love reading about the close relationship between you and your sister; it makes me more eager to see my own sister next week!

Sing4joy said...

Thank you SOO much for this post!! You have put into words for me what I have been unable to express for myself. That is why I take pictures! I am going to link to this post from blog so my peeps can know!

Anonymous said...

I'm not certain you know how gifted you are...those photos are perfect. I like seeing life through the lens of your camera!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

(Stands appaulding) Bravo, Bravo! Well done. I wanted to participate, but she knows that my whole house is imperfect right now and I couldnt bring myself to reveal to the world, what I have to her. Its a mess.
Sniff.

BUt your post-B!R!A!V!O!