In my last post I mentioned that the reception for the beach wedding was held in downtown Wilmington in this great old brick building.But the important part is that it was situated right across the street from the wall Pacey bought Joey during Season 3 of Dawson's Creek. And with that, I know some of you just decided to remove me from your readers.
I didn't start watching the show until about halfway through the series. I spent many Wednesday nights rushing to Sissy's apartment by 8pm so I wouldn't miss the beginning. There were no DVRs for Dawson. It was kind of nice, though, as Sissy and I spent the commercials catching up on our days really fast until the show came back on. I like watching shows with friends.
There's me with Joey's wall. See how big it is? Wilmington is the home of the largest sound stage east of Hollywood, Screen Gems Studios. How do I know this? Duh, because when our wedding duties were over, we took a tour of it. Aside from being the former home of Dawson's Creek, the studio also films CW's One Tree Hill, which is the actual set we toured. I've never seen one episode of that show, but it was still pretty rad to be on a hot set of a current show. I know all the lingo.
While Joey's wall is a genuine brick wall in a real town, the brick they use to make porches on the set is really only painted wood. The granite counter top in the kitchen is painted wood. The sinks are painted wood. Kidding. The sinks are real, but they don't really work. Unless, of course, they drag the hose inside and hook it up, letting the water drain into a bucket underneath, out of site of the cameras, of course.
Now the actors, they really are painted wood. Pretty talented set designers if you ask me. So tell me: have you ever been on a set tour? a live taping of a show? an extra in a movie? I want to hear all about it. Especially if the show was Friends. Just being honest.
Monday, September 08, 2008
Hollywood, North Carolina
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
30 comments:
First I want to say that I really enjoy your blog it is awesome! And now to answer your question I was actually an extra in High School Musical, you don't actually see me but I got to be in the New Years Eve scen and the beginning! It was lots of fun.
Hey pretty cool Emily! Thanks for sharing your photos and awesome experiences in your latest posts! Having never been to the south, it looks even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined! As a former Californian, we did not have grass on our beaches, so I really enjoyed your wedding photos too! P.S. My mom is doing well this week, but my daughter and I will fly out to see her again at the end of Sept. Thanks again for your prayers!
hi emily,
i live in los angeles and my house is walking distance to various studios. they actually shot a scene for the show "sons of anarchy" in our street. it's a cable show that i've never seen ever. we're also really close to ventura blvd., where you often see different celebrities shopping the boutiques and dining.
i used to think it was neat when we first moved here but not so much now. we have quite a few actors, people in the industry that go to our church.
I have no exciting stories to tell, but had to share the DC love. I've started buying all of the seasons on DVD, and will someday sit and relive the Glory Days of one of the best shows e.v.e.r. My husband and I bonded in our early days over that show. So were you in like with Dawson or Pacey? Me...Pacey all the way, baby!
Manly Man and I would watch Dawson's Creek too, just so he could point out Wilmington and Southport (some of it was filmed there) places of interest. We really enjoy eating at the restaurant in Southport that is just two doors down from Potter's Seafood (the real name too!). I have driven through and been stuck in traffic because of filming of One Tree Hill. The cast also does a basketball fundraiser every year too, but I don't know what it benefits, but a nugget anyway. The show Surface that didn't make it realy long was filmed here too. Wow, I feel famous as I type!
Happy Monday! I have been on the MGM movie tour in Disney World...does that count? However, never been in a movie BUT I had Christmas breakfest with Sean Penn in college...that's all I have when it comes to the movies!
I added you to my blog roll...I love your blog!
-Sandy Toes
Those were the days, weren't they? It was so much fun to share my love of Dawson's with someone! In college I used to watch with my friend Beth, but we didn't like each others rooms, so we would talk on the phone while we watched. Silly, huh? But it worked for us.
I haven't ever gotten to do anything cool like tour a studio. Sigh. I did enter a contest once to attend the finale taping of Friends. I didn't win, obviously.
I used to be a big fan of Dawson's Creek. It started when I was in high school, and a guy in my class used to tape it for his girl friend who didn't have cable. How sweet is that?! That's the kind of boyfriend I dreamed of!
Never been on any great tv sets, well unless you count Music City Tonight when I was in middle school. I saw Brian White sing before he was famous, well you know, kind of famous for that one song LOL.
I love your blog! You make us all feel like we can have a little fun!
This all reminds me of that episode of Andy Griffith where they go to Holywood wait, Holliwood, no--Hollywood and see all the black and white movie stars and aunt Bea gets to be in a commercial. I heard she was mean in real life. And painted wood.
Ooh yes I wanted to tour the Friends set too! I aimed for something that colorful in my house but it didn't happen. Remember their blue wall? Loved it.
Things have been a little nuts around here so I haven't commented lately but I still keep up with things--did you decide what to do with that room you posted about? The wedding pics were beautiful! I can't imagine living anywhere near the beach...5 hour drive for us (Dallas area,) but I'd love to be able to take my kids--well really myself--to the beach whenever. Fun. Good pictures. Great blog!
I loved that show! The closest I've come to anything cool was seeing Chris Daughtry at the Cheesecake Factory in Charlotte. I froze like a deer in headlights. I;m sure he was impressed.
Oh, and I've posted about my kitchen, where I proudly display a window mistreatment in the fabric that was in your old kitchen! So glad I found that fabric in real life, I love it!!
*sigh* Dawsons Creek...this is why I will always have an indearing love of one Katie Holmes long after all the crazy has been transferred by Mr. Cruise.
My two kids were extras in the movie "Someone Was Watching" that was filmed here in Utah. Never heard of it?.....most people haven't, it wasn't a big hit even though Disney people shot it. My neighbor was an extra in High School Musical but that's it. This was a really neat blog and I found it very interesting!
I have never done any of that but I would have LOVED to go to The Tree set!! I love that show, although it is getting a little weird.
I love Pacey. Now THERE'S a show that needs to come back.
I love Pacey. Truly, when he gave Joey the wall, I cried. I wanted to be Joey.
This was my favorite show, I cried big ole crocodile tears when it ended. TV has never been the same.
The closet thing to TV land that I have encountered was going for an extras shoot of the movie Rustin. Not very well known, but it was fun. And our section didn't make the cut, but I did meet the actors at a radio station.
My friend and I visited Wilmington one time after seeing some friend up near Camp Lajuene. My hubby was with us. We visited while Dawson's Creek was still being filmed up there. We had the most fun giggling (the friend and I, not so much dh) and trying to act like we weren't tourists trying to spot a cast member. LOL It was a blast.
I never visited any sets though... maybe we should have tried that!
Being an extra is on my list of 20 things to do before I die.
That wall is too cool :)!
Oh yeah and I LOVED Pacey. So much so that I wanted Joey to choose Dawson so Pacey would be free for me! I was like 22 and married when the show ended. I am so lame!
I cried when the show ended as well.
Did I mention that I'm painted wood?
Very fun! My Mom & I went to a taping of Dr. Phil and it was so fun! We sat right next to his wife Robin. :-D
I don't remember the wall being that big!!! LOL
I have seen two sitcom tapings. One was called Hearts Afire)it had Billy Bob Thornton!!) and the other I can't remember, but it was about this married couple and their kids from previous marriages and their exes.
First, I am SOOOO jealous you got to tour the Dawsons Creek set AND got to see the infamous "brick wall". I gotta get over there and do that sometime! :-)
I lived in L.A. for about 8 years and got to "extra" on some different shows...such a neat environment. Hopefully "Design Star" will come-a-callin' soon and one day I'll have my OWN show!!
:-)
Layla
The Lettered Cottage
What the heck is that thing in that picture? That is one STINKIN' huge wall --- and, since I never once EVER saw DC (yeah, but I'm cool like that - I'm all: DC...) I have NO idea what that wall thing is all about.
Oh - and I was in Chicago when they shut down the road that we were walking on for some Brad Pitt thing or other...but as I pick my brain I mean my husband's brain, he has NO idea what I AM talking about, so I must be making all that up.
Can you even IMAGINE how long it took me to type all that? (especially when at first, I typed CD - twice - instead of DC).
Yeah. Seriously.
Aw, thanks for sharing "the wall." :) I know I'm a total dork, but I've been wanting to buy Dawson's Creek on DVD for awhile now. I *loved* that show and loved catching old episode reruns on TBS for years after the finale. That show started my senior year in high school and was a huge part of my college life....I almost always got together with girlfriends to watch. I think it would so fun when I have a daughter one day to watch one of my favorite shows together so she can see what was "big" when her mom was her age. Love Story the movie was big when my mom was in high school and it was so fun for me when we watched that together and I got a peak into my mom's life as a a teenager.
I have not been an extra an any cool shows, but I did attend a taping of The Price is Right in LA once. When Bob Barker was still the host! My hubby was an extra in a Jet Li movie (a famous Chinese actor)...but I've actually never seen the movie! We were just talking about it last week. Too bad it's on DVC and we have NO idea how to play that bad boy nowadays! ;)
They do tape Friday Night Lights in our neighborhood...which I've posted about before. They are actually filming some night scenes tonight on our street...we passed all the action on our way home from a friend's house. I've been really intrigued the last month or so watching all of the film trucks and set people setting up, etc! Tonight was cool because since it was dark, as we drove by, we could see all of the screens in the trucks viewing the scenes being taped. The crazy intense lights they use can be seen from all over the neighborhood!
Do you remember Family Fued - yep ran down and Richard Dawson kissed me (eeewww) Im sure I am really dating myself...I used to take high schoolers from youth group to sets since we are near LA. We saw lots of game shows and Charles in Charge (scott baio),and I have been to Jay Leno a few times. Really lame compared to jen's post - I really liked that Bobby Jones movie.
All I really want to do is find Starshollow and have coffee at Lukes with you - Im looking for that set :) and I dont care if Luke is painted wood.
I actually got to see the rehearsals for SNL with Justin Timberlake.
The set is so small & the audience is in rafters.
I got to appear on Dancin On Air & Dance Party USA. My claim to fame!
Also where Kelly Ripa got her start....we are so following the same path in life, Kelly & I.
Baahaahaa!
Actually, a made-for-TV movie was filmed in the maternity center where I worked years ago and one of my co-workers got to play a short role as a labor nurse, which of course she was in real life. She was even my labor nurse with my second child. Anyway, the movie starred Joanna Kern and everyone in the hospital was given an opportunity to play extras if they desired. Unfortunately, I, the one who always wanted to be an actress as a child, was out of town and missed every. last. part. of it!
I did get to star in a hospital orientation video with my husband and newborn after the birth of my first child. Does that count? It was real fun considering my child never slept so I was a sleep deprived hormonal maniac. That always makes for good acting, you know.
And if home movies count I've been in more movies than any actress in Hollywood has ever hoped to be in. Of course, I wasn't the star, just the supporting role of labor nurse.
I bet you didn't know nursing was such a glamorous career did you? Bet you didn't care either.
And did I mention that one of my friends from 5th grade became a child actress a couple of years later? When she grew up she was in those gross Halloween movies. I think she got stabbed on a door or something (in the movie of course).
Okay, I sound as though I'm a little enamored with Hollywood stuff, which I probably am, but I'll shut up now.
I kid you not... I actually DID go see FRIENDS being taped! It was the one where Chandler kisses one of Joey's sisters. It was amazing... I was thisclose to the action! so so so fun.
Living in SoCal, I've seen many shows being taped (wheel of fortune, ,my two dads, stuff like that) , but this was my favorite one. I'll have to tell the story sometime.
also, I have a very good friend with whom I bonded over Dawson's Creek. good stuff.
Post a Comment