Wednesday, October 31, 2007

on halloween

Most of my Halloweens have been spent in dark back rooms with shades pulled, vaguely lit by the blue glow of the TV. We didn't trick-or-treat and we didn't hand out candy. We didn't celebrate Halloween. We hid, basically.

There was one year, however, when we were allowed to dress up. I don't know why. Kids don't question these things. I was a barbie. I had a mask with holes for eyes, nose and a tiny tease of a slit at the mouth, just big enough to stick your tongue through but not big enough to get it back out again. I remember having to choose between seeing or breathing because the one-size-fits-no-one mask was too big. I think it also came with a plastic apron "dress". My sister tells me we fought over my mask that day, I think because the painted plastic hair was better somehow. I'm not sure why I won that fight. I probably cried. But I'm sure she will comment to this.

Last night I went to Target to get candy to give to the trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood. Warning: there are indeed brightly colored Christmas ornaments displayed next to the ceramic pumpkins in the seasonal section. Just so you know. I happened to remember just before I left that the baby needs a toothbrush for his 6 teeth. So I bought 4 bags of candy and 2 toothbrushes. I thought it was funny and mentioned it to the cashier. She didn't laugh. I also shopped for some earrings to wear to a wedding this weekend. I found the perfect ones and almost bought them...until I realized they were cuff links. Oh, well.

So yeah...we won't be hiding out in the back room tonight. Its a good thing, since we don't really have a back room. I think giving out candy will be a great way to continue to connect with some of our neighbors. And you know what Halloween means? It means tomorrow is November and I can officially listen to Christmas music.

I know, I'm worse than Target.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we aren't much for halloween. i hope you guys enjoy giving out your candy!-Tyler

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, yes those were the days. You won pretty mask-I "got" to wear a mask too but it was ugly. You usually got everything when you were little -if my memory serves me right and I'm sure it doesn't. By the way, Mom and Dad actually went out in the hood with us last night while the boys collected candy. I don't think they'll ever hide again-Dad even thanked us for coming and getting them out on this most evil of nights.

Anonymous said...

Hi Em! I can relate to your no celebrating, then getting to dress up and trick-or-treat one year for some unexplained reason. Funny, huh? As always, your blog makes me smile.