Friday, October 31, 2008

early voting

Your comments on my last post made me cry. In a good way. I wrote it to process through some of that unshakable fear. So thanks for being my sounding board.

The car is totaled. We figured it might be, as there were lots of "crumbs" on the street after the accident. (The twins tend to think of messes in terms of food. You understand.) I guess that means we are in the market for another car. And The Man seems to think this one needs to be a mini van. I am officially and absolutely a mom now.

In other news, I voted today. I stood in line for an hour and twenty minutes. I found a comfortable spot against a piece of wall in the gym of the recreation center. Then, I watched along with my fellow voters as thirty senior citizens did slow bicep curls to the tune of The Phantom of the Opera. If I were 75 years old and showed up for my Friday morning exercise class to find an audience of bored voters wrapped around the gym, there is a strong possibility I would fake a heart-attack to get out of it.

I brought a book because I knew there would be a wait. There was a lesbian couple in front of me and a woman behind me with strong coffee breath who was very concerned about her name change form. My book became more of a prop as I became increasingly interested in the people around me. Guess what Coffee Breath and the Chatty Beekeeper behind her talked about? Coffee. And Bees. Not kidding.

Turns out Coffee Breath is a divorced nurse who was married for a year when she and her husband decided to call it quits. And Chatty Beekeeper is trying to find his way in a single world after so many years married.

He is going to a concert tonight.

My eyes shut instinctively and my body tensed in anticipation of an awkward exchange. Is he going to ask her to join him?

He didn't. I exhaled in relief, glad I didn't have to listen to her hazelnut flavored rejection of him, right there in the line to cast our vote for the next President of the United States.

Have you voted yet? What conversations did you eavesdrop on? If you're waiting to vote on Election Day, do me a favor and listen. We could write a best-seller on these voter line conversations. I know we could.

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
My husband and I voted early. The only interesting conversation was the voting speech I gave to our kids when we took them with us to vote. :-)
Since we homeschool this counts as civics. :-)

FYI: A family in our church has the Honda Odyssey and they REALLY like it.
Might be worth a test drive.

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

OK, I'll try this again...

your heart attack scenario made me laugh outloud!

Voting Tuesday - educators did NOT ask my opinion of toting 4 younglings along to the 'biggest election ever' when they made it a NO SCHOOL DAY...

And minivans ROCK - my husband won the one I currently drive (seriously), so it's fancier than one we would ever purchase, but I'd suggest looking for one with the windows that roll down in the back if you can --- that's one thing I wish I had.

Happy Halloween! Hope it was a nice evening - in the 70s here. I hear the weather in your neck of the woods is a bit more like what we usually get...

Now, let me try that word veri again...

Jami said...

I guess I could vote early couldn't I?! :) We probably will just do it on the big day. I'm still so thankful you are okay. I just thought about it again today...I can't imagine how scary it must have been.

Love you!

Heather said...

i voted by mail, so i didn't get to hear any conversations... except my hubby asking me questions about what some of the different propositions meant (because they are written so people can't understand them!)

i still think the early voting is really weird...and i'm not sure i agree with it. but that is a whole other story...

Anonymous said...

If you're not already, start wearing denim capris with white "tennies" and ankle socks and you're TOTALLY a mom.

I'll be voting Tuesday with the hordes.

Denise K. said...

Hi Emily!

I'm so glad you are all OK after the accident. I know it must have been a terrible scare, but I'm just relieved that you and your family are safe!

We voted by mail and sent them our ballots in early. It was nice to take our time, and do it leisurely at home, BUT I guess we missed out on fascinating conversations!

On my flights back to CA to visit my mom, I bring lots of entertainment for my wait in the airport. (Must be a mom thing as we never go anywhere without an "activity bag" of color books, snacks, etc... for the kids...I need my mom entertainment too!) Anyway, sometimes I want to settle into what I have brought, and just as I am writing thank you notes, reading, etc...someone next to me gets a phone call and starts chatting loudly. It is impossible to concentrate when listening to why someone is upset with their ex-husband, or discussing where dinner will be eaten that night, etc...SO, I can relate to your story! :-)

Hope your Halloween was a good one! Our kids had fun, but it is also a sad day for me as my dad passed away two years ago today. I did a tribute to him on our blog, which brought many tears to me...but just like your accident, these events help us to appreciate our loved ones, and not to take one day for granted.

Live well, and have fun car shopping!

Love,
Denise

Jessica said...

I went and early voted today. Now I wish I had paid more attention to the conversations around me. I stood in line for well over an hour. Well worth it tho to cast my vote for the next President.

Mom in High Heels said...

I voted via absentee ballot over a month ago. The only conversations I got to hear were about military stuff. Like I don't get enough of that. I suppose though if you go to the military voting office, that's what you hear though, huh?
I do LOVE to people watch and eavesdrop. People are so interesting. Especially when they don't realize their being observed.
Oh, and mini-vans...blech. SUV's are the way to go. Yeah, yeah, environment, but sometimes you need space. Also, my XC90 gets really great gas mileage. Not as good as say, a Prius, but my car could eat a Prius, and hold many more people.

Kathleen Grace said...

Emily, I am so glad that you were all unhurt in the accident! I just got a new computer installed last night so I didnt catch your earlier post until now. I don't understand why some people are getting to vote early but if you have to stand in line for a long time at least you had some interesting people watching to do:>)

The Nester said...

That was so great.

From the hazelnut flavor rejection to the faking of the heart attack.

Tell me, did you turn the pages that you didn't read in your book for effect?

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Don't worry, you were instantly a mom when those two lovelies came on through (now I had a much more interesting description, but deleted it and just chuckled silently to myself.). :)
And as for minivans, now that I know you are completely fine, I just hope their insurance pays a TON so that you can pick the top of the lot - you deserve it!!
Who needs to eavesdrop in on interesting conversations when my house guests for the week hold the most extreme opposite views of our family on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness ....start humming in the background, please.
Oh, it's been interesting all right, but oh so entertaining. :)

Finding Normal said...

We're going today, so I'll let you know. I have a feeling people will be eavesdropping on US since we're taking the kids, and I'm an Obama Mama to a 3 year old Alex P. Keaton who likes to say, "I'm John McCain and I approved this message" in the deepest voice he can muster. HILARIOUS!
Glad you weren't hurt in the accident. Now resist the mini-van and get a cute SUV!

Heather said...

I voted early too. I had all four girls with me, though, so it was a little like hearding cats. No good evesdropping for me.

Anonymous said...

We can't vote early in NJ so I'm figuring the lines will be long on Tuesday. I will, like you, have a book along with me. Not necessarily to read but as a prop for eavesdropping :) I love to hear snippets of conversations.

Heather said...

We voted by Absentee since we're military and don't live in the state where we are legal residents...therefore, I didn't get to witness any great exchanges. I didn't realize until now what I was missing :)

Bonita said...

I voted, only I got to know my fellow voters over 2 1/2 hours in line. Thankfully, it was a nice fall day with only a slight crispness.

The lady behind me goes to a church that has a great thing called Judgement House that we visited this week. Our daughters both play softball. She's an office manager who didn't expect to have to be out of work so long to vote. We had a lot in common except I think she was voting for the other guy.

The retired couple behind her eat out all the time. She rarely cooks and they mostly go to the cafeteria. She had skin cancer on her head and recently had it frozen off. She was supposed to be wearing a hat in the sun, but she didn't think to bring one. I think they voted for the same guy as me because when a candidate from "the other side" came by to shake our hands they refused to do so. I shook the lady's hand and felt really bad for her, but not bad enough to send my vote her way.

The two fellows ahead of me didn't know each other, but rapidly became friends. They don't feel anybody should have complete control, even a man in his own house. They talked a lot about God, but I got the impression they were voting opposite of me too.

Overall, everyone in my line was respectful and nice. Can you tell I forgot to bring a book with me? I didn't listen much because I was too busy running my mouth the whole time.

Anonymous said...

I always listen to other people's conversations when I wait in line, but I haven't had to wait in line very often to vote. We're going as soon as the polls open on Tuesday. I am guessing we'll have to wait, but I have no idea how long it might be.

Karin: many times the schools have to be closed because they are polling places. For one thing, it's a logistical problem because the voters need a place to park and the school probably needs/uses the gym or the cafeteria or whatever during the course of a normal day. And for another, it's safer for the students not to have people in and out all day.

Scrapper Mom said...

Ha. ha. This made me laugh. I love to people watch and eavedrop when we are out shopping or eating or the such. My hubby has to tell me to stop staring, but it's too fun.

I am so glad everyone is ok. I am such a control freak. I hope it doesn't take something big like this to put me in my place.

Dawn said...

now i really wish i had waited in line to vote! we went out of our way to go to an out-of-the-way precinct so we could vote quickly (because on 11/4 we'll be out holding signs for our issue!) but really, if i had even thought for one minute about the conversations i might have overheard, i would've been waiting in that long line without one complaint!

duchess said...

We can't vote early here in SC but you can best believe I'll be there with bells on come Tuesday morning.
Our kids are out of school so they'll be going with us - hopefully we won't have any lesbian couples in our line.;)

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're all ok.

Katy said...

Haven't voted yet, but will very soon-like!
Liked hearing about the conversations while waiting to vote. Also, love the names you gave them. Creative.
Still sorry about your car.
I have a Toyota Sienna minivan (I even wrote about it a little on one of my post)...don't remember what I titled it though. I love it....we can watch movies (not me but everyone behind me can)...cook in it (I have real outlets in it, that allow me to hook up my crockpot, funny). I feel safe in it, it's mom friendly I tell ya!

Katy said...

The title to my post is...
"Ok, I finally get to tell my story."
It's all about multi-tasking when it comes to a mini-van. *what a cute word*

Enriched-Mom said...

Early voted too. Conversations were not as entertaining though, just got to oogle over the most precious newborn girl- and listen to her grandma brag on her. Good stuff!

annie said...

I voted yesterday and stood in line for 3 hours! Then the old man who could barely walk was showing me to my little voting machine and told me to look at this lady's ballot so I could see what it looked like! I was speechless! But it went well I did not break the law. :)

Betsy said...

I tried to vote early today, but the line was RIDICULOUSLY long!!! But I do the exact same thing...I just get so caught up in all the conversations around me. At least it makes the wait more entertaining! :)

Dots said...

I agree, and I am sure a hundred books and movies are going to come out of this election!

Valley Girl said...

First of all...a mini van...are you sure??? When we had to buy a car after starting a family I was 29 years old and the sales guy wanted to sell as one REAL bad...I told him I couldn't, I wasn't 30 years old yet and that was a VERY 30 year old thing to do. Now I am 31, still can't make myself do it no matter how nice it would be to have all that room.

I early voted yesterday at a local grocery store called Randalls. I stood in line between "didn't shower today" and "I work at Randalls." "Didn't shower today" kept sighing as though the wait in line really was cutting into their schedule that day...and all the showering? "I work at Randalls" was very passionate about their job. They discussed with anyone who would listen what was on ad that week, where the Dr. Pepper had been moved to in the store and the rock'n deli section. The thing I noticed was the people leaving the voting experience, they seemed to walk a little taller, smile a little, they looked proud.

Aubrey said...

I'm slow, but, I'm glad you guys came out all right, even if the car didn't. How'd you stay in a car with three carseats all this time? I love my minivan. But then I am a nerd. I like being up higher than I was in our old Civic. And Stow 'N' Go? What can I say? Love. it. And the new ones have roll down windows--which I wish we had, but we had to buy a used one. Oh the horrors.

Oh, and I think you're more of a mom than I am. I think I have the mentality of a 17-year-old. With three kids. Those ten years better catch up soon before I begin wondering when I get paid for all my baby-sitting. Complete with stretch marks.

emily freeman said...

No, Tulip Lady! No I am not sure! The mini van is looming...LOOMING, I tell you. But my husband is sure. This is what I'm saying.

To you who are telling me to get a cute SUV: I did get a cute SUV. And it is now totaled. *sigh* oh, the woes.

I suppose I am majorly thankful that I have a car, any car. Right? Right?!

Sunny said...

My Mr. voted early but alas I have did not. I will go on "the big day." I love to people watch and eavesdrop so who knows what I will come upon! Should be inner-stin!

Julie @ Sweet Chaos said...

Emily, you need a mini van!!! I have a love/hate relationship with mine... It is a mini van, but boy, it functions! I'll get a car as soon as my kids are out of car seats, but for now, oh, the EASE of putting them in their car seats! We have 3 rows, the middle row is captain chairs. We took one captains chair out, and I can push a button to open the automatic door, throw all three kids in, and get in with them. All in the same door and have us locked in together safely. Which means no one can snatch me and my purse and leave my 3 kids sitting in the van. Or snatch all 4 of us. Ok, yes, I'll admit to being paranoid ;) We have so much more room than we do in my husbands suv. I hate suv's after having my kids in a mini van. You guys don't know what you're missing! There is so much distance between my ears and the kids in our van. That's worth it to me! The kids have more leg room than in any suv I've ever been in--even my parents Suburban. If you need any more pro's on the dowdy old mini van, let me know! Oh, my babies can climb into the van by themselves, something they can't do in any suv we've had. Seats are too close... Go rent a van for a week, you'll see the difference quickly!

Melissa said...

i have to vote on election day. it's part of the tradition - i know you're laughing at me with all my traditions. but it feels like a way of celebrating on that actual day. so, yes, i'm sure i'll eavesdrop, as i tend to do, and i'll be sure to remember the good ones for you!

Melissa said...

btw - sorry your car's totaled. and that post was great. especially the hazelnut flavored rejection.

Sissy said...

I was with people, so I didn't get to eavesdrop at all. We talked the whole way, so I wasn't bored at all, although your experience sounds way more fun. Four years ago I was treated to a guy on his cellphone talking about a truck he wanted to sell and a house he wanted to buy. For two hours.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Voting on the 4th is part of the excitement for me!! I know there will be long lines but I will listen to all the conversations and probaly be part of some:)!!

I have a town and country and like it!
-sandy toes

Judah said...

voting on tuesday with my two little in tow, am i CRAZY!! will certianly pay attention to the conversations

Jaelou said...

Well at least you're subtle. I enjoy eavesdropping and people watching, but my husband tells me I have a staring problem. I don't mean to! And if I'm staring at you it's probably because I think you are interesting or pretty and I want to know where you got your dress, not because of anything bad!

Does anyone else stare? I can't be the only one...

Anonymous said...

We voted on Saturday and only had to stand in line for about five minutes so didn't get any eavesdropping in. The highlight was the very buxom poll worker who was printing out the ballots. She was sitting at the table with "the girls" sort of lounging before her on the table in all their glory. I think she may have qualified for three votes. I know it made my husband's day!

About the minivan...
I drove a Ford E350 15 passenger van for 7 years. By the time we moved across country this summer, two of our 7 kids were out of the house so we could finally fit in a smaller car. We donated the van to our church and rented a Ford Explorer to drive from California to New Mexico. Hated it. Very limited legroom for my teens, and the seats in the middle row had to be folded down and climbed over to reach the third row seats. We ended up buying a Hyundai Entourage when we got here and I LOVE it! Easy in and out, lots of leg room, huge storage capacity when all the seats are folded down (I easily hauled a big chair-and-a-half and a set of barstools with room to spare last week), and zip-zip-zippy! Also comes with a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty, that was a big plus.

Have fun shopping! and remember that looking like a mom isn't a bad thing! (from a mom quite a bit over 30)

kimberly said...

i stare too....cant help it!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

now i'm even more excited to vote tomorrow...i can't wait for the convo's! there's usually not too much of a line during the day around here so i can only hope for a great story to tell.

Miss G said...

my husband and I laughed about the phrase "hazlenut flavored rejection" all weekend! We loved it. Now I'm just coming back finally to comment.

On the airplane on the way to our honeymoon there was a guy and a girl sitting in front of us. He was older. They talked quite a bit but you could tell he was interested and she wasn't. She kept trying to read or watch a movie on her laptop but then she would talk to him again. At the end he asked if he could give her a ride to where she was going and save her the $40 cab fare. uhh . . . (say no, say no! what girl in her right mind gets in a car with a stranger?!!) Whew! She said no, luckily we were all getting off the flight soon so the awkwardness didn't last too long.

When I voted last week it there was one guy who kind of wanted to talk to everyone and said things like, "Does this mean I can stop watching the political ads now?" The really cool thing was that twice during my wait in line, the lady checking people in said, "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a first time voter here." and everyone gave very enthusiastic applause. It made me proud to be around such positive people.

This post was great! Thanks for writing it! Kelly

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Emily!

I followed the link from your sister's blog (I bought one of her cute tassels... a little church), and I'm horrified to hear of your accident. Praise God you're okay.

To answer your question, YES. I voted early as did my husband. It was fast for me because I went to a polling place that didn't have much of a line. I also kidded the girl in line next to me aobut fearing for her life. She had on a GA shirt in the middle of Gator Country. ;-)

I voted, and I feel good about it. Everyone should exercise their right to vote even if they have to stand in line all day long. Just take a good book, one of those portable chairs (camp or beach), and read! I doubt it will be that bad a wait, and it sure is worth the wait to exercise your right to vote.

Sheila

edie said...

Emily,
Funny you should ask. I am(was) a family practice physician who quit working last year to stay home with the kids. I lined up right smack dab in front of one of my (chattiest) prior patients. She told me things that no third party should have to hear. It wasn't pretty. Pus, drainage, swelling, redness. I was so happy when it was my turn. I didn't have a book either.

Tracey said...

Wishing I had voted early...

Amy Jo said...

You waited an hour and a half to vote? Wow... I've never waited more than 5 minutes in my life. We'll see about this year. I probably just jinxed myself!

Carly Winborne said...

Not sure if I've left a comment on your blog yet, but I've been a reader for awhile. This one did me in, though. I have been laughing OUT LOUD as this is so something I would do. I can appreciate some good eavesdropping. It's almost as fun as looking in windows while driving down the road.

Anyway, I'm dropping my kids off at playschool tomorrow with the intention of going to the polls alone. I was even thinking earlier about what I would be taking to read. The new Cottage Living is a serious contender. But after reading your post, perhaps I could go empty handed ready for some quality, free entertainment.

PS: I joined the ranks of Mommy-hood about a year ago when we bought a Honda Odyssey. I highly recommend it.

Lauren and Justin said...

hey! thanks for the comment love :) i am slightly obsessed with this twilight series... it is pretty good for mindless reading. see you Saturday!

Girly Stuff said...

I will be voting tomorrow. I will bring coffee and breathe on people around me. It sounded like fun.

Inspired Kara said...

I AM DYING OVER HERE!!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!

FeFe@Good Intentions said...

Like you, I took a book. And like you I didn't really read it. Oh, I tried but the 2 ladies (who didn't know each other) started discussing colonoscopies. One reassuring the other that her upcoming appt. wouldn't be that bad and gave her all the details of how it would go and how responsible of her it was to have it done. It was, uh, interesting.

Jennifer P. said...

My favorite observations were the parents bringing in their 18 year old children to vote for the first time and helping them get registered. That was neat to see! I also love the sound of people's names being called out as they vote. There are some really interesting names out there :)!

Thanks for this post and the other two in front of it.

As long as you keep your eyes forward---you will LOVE your mini-van ;)!