Thursday, August 21, 2008

the heart of a hero

She wanted another son. She and her husband already had one baby but struggled to conceive another. They chose to adopt. And so she waited. She dreamed. Then, she waited some more. She fought hard against insurmountable odds that culminated to a dark and hopeless hour last week when it seemed they would never be allowed to bring him home.

Just when it seemed she might have to let him go, they received the email that changed everything. Contrary to all they thought would be true for them, they prepare to leave on Friday for a trip around the world to bring their little boy home.

Last night, I attended her baby shower. I sat in her sister's living room and watched as she opened packages of hope and happiness disguised as tiny boy clothes. She was giddy and overwhelmed, helpless to hide her tears of relief.

I couldn't keep my eyes from settling on the photo hanging behind her of the son she was preparing to meet. A dark haired boy with a wide, toothless grin. He is an orphan destined to remain so unless someone, somewhere fights for him.

Not because he earned it. Just because he is.

The heart of a mother reflects the heart of God like nothing I have ever seen. Her love is no less passionate or fierce whether that baby is growing inside her own body, born of a woman on the other side of the world or born only in her heart as she struggles to conceive. A mother loves her baby without condition or expectation. She will wait any amount of time, travel any distance, fight any battle.

A hero indeed.

41 comments:

Mommy said...

"Her love is no less passionate or fierce whether that baby is growing inside her own body, born of a woman on the other side of the world or born only in her heart as she struggles to conceive. A mother loves her baby without condition or expectation. She will wait any amount of time, travel any distance, fight any battle."

You said it, my friend. You said it perfectly.

I am Mom said...

Beautifully said - thanks for the uplift.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Ahhh, Emily, that was beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Arranged before the foundations of the world....God knew all along. I'm so glad for your friend that the timeline God planned for their meeting, will soon come to pass after what seems like waiting forever. Bless this woman for making this child her own, and bless the birth mom for the gift of life! Bless you Emily, for this heart warming post! Jen

Just Wedeminute said...

I just love that you have said this about adoption! We have 2 adopted children and have taken so much heat from others that don't even know us because we chose international adoption over domestic but the thing they don't know is we had 3 failed domestic adoptions first!
You said exactly what we lived and felt and breathed! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. What a beautiful lady.

Wendy said...

That was incredibly beautiful. Thank you for making my day.

Denise K. said...

Just beautiful! Thanks for such a touching post, and BIG congratulations to your friend and her new son! What a happy time indeed!

Anonymous said...

As a mom of twins through adoption, this post truly played my heartstrings! People have told me time and again how blessed the children are to have my husband and me as their parents. But, oh, how opposite that statement is. Through my son and daughter, I now have a much clearer picture of the LOVE behind God's choice to adopt me.
If you're able, I would love to see a picture of the little one when he arrives!

Twice as Nice said...

It doesn't matter how we receive our little blessings they all started their journey the same way...as a gift from God. We are so happy for your friend.

The Nester said...

This could be on a hallmark card.

Or in the Bible.

what a great author you are.

Mary said...

Yes that was tear-producing and I'm not even hormonal at all. Isn't that a sweet testimony of God's provision and the fullness that His plan can provide in our hearts...Thanks.

Trixi said...

Oh, Emily, thank you for sharing this. It is beautiful.

Rachel said...

What a beautiful (although tear jerking) post - you have a blessed way with words!

Deb said...

Amazing what a mom will do for "her child". Beautifully said. Pass along our congratulations please.

Christy said...

What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. I have two friends waiting to adopt internationally. I will pass your post along to them. Please share my congratulations with your friend. With her permission, please post a picture of her son when he arrives. I would love to see his toothless grin.

taratoons said...

You wrote that so beautifully! Congrats to your friends - she is a hero indeed.

Faith said...

This is beautiful. Right now, my baby is born only in my heart as we fight the battle of infertility. This encouraged me to keep going and not lose heart.

So happy for your friend and her little blessing!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

It was this sentence that got to me: "The heart of a mother reflects the heart of God like nothing I have ever seen." I can only pray for that to be true, because I do believe that mamas can demonstrate God's love and grace in such a powerful way, and I don't want to squander that privilege. I ask God for the grace to love like Him every day. Thanks for such a beautiful post, and I am so happy for your friend.
-Carrie

Big Toe Mom said...

what a wonderful,wonderful post.
i am crying.
thanks for sharing, it really is an amazing thing the fierce love of a mother. hugs and prayers to the new momma,with lots of congratulations.

Nili said...

What a wonderful post and beautifully written. My husband and I have tried to conceive for 5 years and had a failed adoption this past May...I had that little boy for 5 days, loving him instantly and wholly was an overwhelming and wonderful time for me. Now, we are 6 weeks pregnant, God, He is faithful and wonderful.

Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

"The heart of a mother reflects the heart of God like nothing I have ever seen." True!! When I think of how much I love my children, and that God's love toward me is even beyond that, I am awed. Thanks for the beautiful post and the encouragement.

Melissa said...

so beautifully said, friend. i love how you observe and take in, and then let it back out for others to be able to take in afresh.

Bonita said...

Amen! I'm happy for your friend and for her new son.

Jami said...

I love how you described a mother's love, it is so true.

Being a mommy of biological and adopted children - I heartily say "AMEN!!" your post. What an honor it is to be "mommy."

Love you!

Valarie Lea said...

Thats beautiful! I am so happy for her. :)

Anonymous said...

I was a child who found a family through domestic adoption 37 years ago. I have since found my birth parents and now have two hero's who share the same name:MOM. I love how God creates families-- whether through stretch marks or home studies!

Blessed-with-3

Anonymous said...

As the mother of a Korean born son I was so touched by your post. Thank you for getting it. Your friend is luck to have you. And I have to pass on my favorite quote..."I may not have my mother's eyes, but I do have her heart." I have that framed beneathe a picture of my own son. Best wishes and safe travels for your friend.

Nancy Hood said...

How beautiful, and to think she has you to call friend. Fitting :)

Scrapper Mom said...

Perfectly said. There is no greater love than the love of a mother. Inexplainable.

megs @ whadusay said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Your words meant so much to me today, a day I needed much encouragement. We have a 6y.o. daughter, but have tried to conceive again for 3 years with no luck. We are impatiently waiting to adopt a little girl from China, and struggle emotionally as the wait continues to increase. Thank you for your words.

Waiting for Mia MeiLi
LID 9/4/07

Anonymous said...

That is precious!

Kimba said...

Beautifully said. You brought tears to my eyes with this post. I pray that my love will reflect the love of God to my children.

Ritch in Love said...

What a beautiful post!
Visiting from SITS! Congrats on the spotlight. You have a darling blog! Will be back for a peek!

Unknown said...

¥our words are so beautiful. Congratulations on your SITS day!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

so i'm an adoptive momma...and i'm no hero, but we love our kiddos! we work for them, that's for sure. stop by my blog and read 'our many trips to australia'...i think you'll like it.

http://rdehaus.blogspot.com/2008/08/australiaand-our-many-visits.html

Elisabeth said...

What a beautiful post. It made me teary.

Breanne said...

Wow - you have me crying. Congrats on SUTS.

ohhollyf said...

As an adoptive Mom I say i wish everyone had a friend like you to see a heart and not be one to badger a Mom with "what if" questions.